RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Harlem Globetrotters
Harlem Globetrotters Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:27 am  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 5840
Location: Kingston upon Hull
Member for 4 years
I see the Harlem Globetrotters are booked to play the Bonus Arena, it made me laugh as they are billed as “the original” we went on a school trip to Wembley for the Challenge cup final.

This year instead of going to the London Palladium as part of the trip, we saw the Harlem Globetrotters, can’t remember dates or venues now, but they had a player called Birdy, and they were so exciting and entertaining for this young school kid.

Sorry not really our team related, just part of memories.
Re: Harlem Globetrotters Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:49 am  

User avatarRugby Raider wrote:
Rugby Raider User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 1102
Location: Playing League on The Close
Member for 12 years
I’ve never seen the Harlem Globetrotters.

I should have gone on a school trip to see them on Wednesday 19th May 1982 at Wembley, but withdrew and went to watch a rugby league match at Elland Road instead!! :D :D :D
Re: Harlem Globetrotters Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:03 pm  

User avatarArmavinit wrote:
Armavinit User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 1529
Member for 11 years
Saw them on TV in the 60’s, the lineup was amazing and was led by The Clown Prince, Meadowlark Lemon. This teenager was in raptures at their antics.
Re: Harlem Globetrotters Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:50 pm  
The Dentist Wilf User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:17 pm
Posts: 6853
Member for 16 years
This is not the first time they have appear d in HULL In fact Hull FC actually promoted them back in May 1956 at the Boulevard. Back in those days we had motorcycle shows Handball exhibitions etc at the ground usually in the summer. although only 6 at the time `I lived in Airlie Street and so got to see most of them with my Dad. Heres what I remembered of it.


"The Board at Hull FC always had an eye for something a bit different and the following week a big crowd attended the Boulevard to see the famous American basketball team the Harlem Globetrotters take on the Texas Cowboys as part of a national tour. A mat was laid across the centre spot of the ground the size of a basketball court, and the hoops were erected at both ends. On tour with them was probably the most famous basketball player in the world Meadowlark Lemon, although there are conflicting stories as to whether he actually played that afternoon at the Boulevard or not".
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!
Re: Harlem Globetrotters Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:04 pm  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 5840
Location: Kingston upon Hull
Member for 4 years
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
This is not the first time they have appear d in HULL In fact Hull FC actually promoted them back in May 1956 at the Boulevard. Back in those days we had motorcycle shows Handball exhibitions etc at the ground usually in the summer. although only 6 at the time `I lived in Airlie Street and so got to see most of them with my Dad. Heres what I remembered of it.


"The Board at Hull FC always had an eye for something a bit different and the following week a big crowd attended the Boulevard to see the famous American basketball team the Harlem Globetrotters take on the Texas Cowboys as part of a national tour. A mat was laid across the centre spot of the ground the size of a basketball court, and the hoops were erected at both ends. On tour with them was probably the most famous basketball player in the world Meadowlark Lemon, although there are conflicting stories as to whether he actually played that afternoon at the Boulevard or not".


Flipping eck Wilf, did you take your hoop and stick with you :D
Re: Harlem Globetrotters Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:22 pm  
The Dentist Wilf User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:17 pm
Posts: 6853
Member for 16 years
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!
Re: Harlem Globetrotters Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:06 pm  

User avatarArmavinit wrote:
Armavinit User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 1529
Member for 11 years
The Dentist Wilf wrote:

Jesus H Christ, Wilf , we’re do you find them. It just brought my whole teenage life flooding back. I might well have been younger than I thought when I watched it all those years ago in black and white Rediffusion.
Re: Harlem Globetrotters Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:08 pm  

User avatarArmavinit wrote:
Armavinit User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 1529
Member for 11 years
The Dentist Wilf wrote:

You were lucky, the only bogie I had, were the ones I picked out of my nose!!!
Re: Harlem Globetrotters Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:45 am  
Freddie Miller. Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:44 am
Posts: 1041
Location: Australia
Member for 10 years
Riderofthepalehorse wrote:
I see the Harlem Globetrotters are booked to play the Bonus Arena, it made me laugh as they are billed as “the original” we went on a school trip to Wembley for the Challenge cup final.

This year instead of going to the London Palladium as part of the trip, we saw the Harlem Globetrotters, can’t remember dates or venues now, but they had a player called Birdy, and they were so exciting and entertaining for this young school kid.

Sorry not really our team related, just part of memories.


Brings back good memories for me too Rider. Went with school to my first CC final in 1950 when we went by train. The evening entertainment was a visit to Wembley Pool (now Wembley Arena) to see an ice hockey game featuring Wembley Lions. Went on all subsequent school trips which followed the same itinerary. Then to every one after until I left the UK in 1966 - in the 60's I studied and worked in London for a few years.

Went to see the Harlem Globetrotters play at the Boulevard in May 1956 in my final year at High School. Went with a few schoolmates as a break from swotting for GCE Advanced level exams.
Re: Harlem Globetrotters Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:56 am  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 5840
Location: Kingston upon Hull
Member for 4 years
Freddie Miller. wrote:
Brings back good memories for me too Rider. Went with school to my first CC final in 1950 when we went by train. The evening entertainment was a visit to Wembley Pool (now Wembley Arena) to see an ice hockey game featuring Wembley Lions. Went on all subsequent school trips which followed the same itinerary. Then to every one after until I left the UK in 1966 - in the 60's I studied and worked in London for a few years.

Went to see the Harlem Globetrotters play at the Boulevard in May 1956 in my final year at High School. Went with a few schoolmates as a break from swotting for GCE Advanced level exams.



Hello Freddie, great memories, see the superb link further up from Wilf, regarding the HGs at the Boulevard in that same year. A video as well.

Did you see much of Kane Evans in Australia
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armavinit, Cardiff_05, Chris71, DiggerHFC, McFc, mwindass, Rocknrolla69er, Touchliner and 208 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Hull FC - blackandwhites.co.uk


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.25Million 1,427 ↑378,8319,567
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre

TABLES:
Sun 13th Feb 15:00
SL
Wakefield
v
Hull FC
Sat 19th Feb 12:30
SL
Hull FC
v
St.Helens
Sat 26th Feb 15:00
SL
Hull FC
v
Salford
Sun 6th Mar 15:30
SL
Castleford
v
Hull FC
Thu 10th Mar 20:00
SL
Leeds
v
Hull FC
Sun 20th Mar 15:00
SL
Hull FC
v
Huddersfield
Thu 31st Mar 20:00
SL
Wigan
v
Hull FC
Fri 15th Apr 12:30
SL
Hull KR
v
Hull FC
Mon 18th Apr 17:30
SL
Hull FC
v
Warrington
Sun 24th Apr 18:45
SL
Hull FC
v
Catalans
Sat 30th Apr 15:00
SL
Hull FC
v
Toulouse
Fri 13th May 20:00
SL
St.Helens
v
Hull FC
Sat 21st May 15:00
SL
Hull FC
v
Wigan
Sun 5th Jun 15:00
SL
Wakefield
v
Hull FC
Sat 11th Jun 18:00
SL
Catalans
v
Hull FC
There are currently no matches to display.
Matches on TV
Mon 31st Jan
CH RND: 1 York-Featherstone
Mon 7th Feb
CH RND: 2 Featherstone-Leigh
Thu 10th Feb
SL RND: 1 St.Helens-Catalans
Fri 11th Feb
SL RND: 1 Hull KR-Wigan
Sat 12th Feb
SL RND: 1 Leeds-Warrington
SL RND: 1 Toulouse-Huddersfield
Thu 17th Feb
SL RND: 2 Warrington-Castleford
Fri 18th Feb
SL RND: 2 Wigan-Leeds
Sat 19th Feb
SL RND: 2 Hull FC-St.Helens
Thu 24th Feb
SL RND: 3 Leeds-Catalans
Fri 25th Feb
SL RND: 3 Hull KR-Salford
Thu 3rd Mar
SL RND: 4 Wakefield-Leeds
Fri 4th Mar
SL RND: 4 Warrington-Catalans
Thu 10th Mar
SL RND: 5 Leeds-Hull FC
Fri 11th Mar
SL RND: 5 St.Helens-Warrington
Sat 12th Mar
SL RND: 5 Huddersfield-Castleford
Thu 17th Mar
SL RND: 6 Wigan-Castleford
Fri 18th Mar
SL RND: 6 Salford-Leeds
Sat 19th Mar
SL RND: 6 Warrington-Wakefield
Thu 31st Mar
SL RND: 7 Wigan-Hull FC
Betfred Championship 2022 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Betfred League One 2022 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Betfred Super League XXVII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
RLFANS Recent Posts


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!









X
::::::::