Go for Drinkwater
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 am
Posted by No7.David.Bishop on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 am
No7.David.Bishop User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 110th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

I no DM has said its his last year but I think we all no he will miss a fair few games. Yes we all know the quality he has and I hated the guy with a passion UNTIL he pulled on a rovers shirt then I thought wow. But didn't we all think what I did?? So after the amount of games he did miss last year which with injuries all players can miss and take into account his age, I personally would (here we go were I get slammed) pay him off and give Drinkwater his money and more if needs be and offer a 3 or 4 year contract. But if we can sign Drinkwater and keep DM then hey yeah that's absolutely brilliant. We all know we need another HB to start playing alongside Atkin for future seasons. So I would push the boat out to do this. I don't want to sound nasty towards McGuire but we have to think beyond even next season.
Re: Go for Drinkwater
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:20 am
Posted by Someday on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:20 am
Someday Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 39
Rep Position: 72nd / 77,345

No7.David.Bishop wrote:
I no DM has said its his last year but I think we all no he will miss a fair few games. Yes we all know the quality he has and I hated the guy with a passion UNTIL he pulled on a rovers shirt then I thought wow. But didn't we all think what I did?? So after the amount of games he did miss last year which with injuries all players can miss and take into account his age, I personally would (here we go were I get slammed) pay him off and give Drinkwater his money and more if needs be and offer a 3 or 4 year contract. But if we can sign Drinkwater and keep DM then hey yeah that's absolutely brilliant. We all know we need another HB to start playing alongside Atkin for future seasons. So I would push the boat out to do this. I don't want to sound nasty towards McGuire but we have to think beyond even next season.

Well said and got to agree what I have seen of drinkwater he looks good
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm
Posted by homme vaste on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm
homme vaste User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 150
Rep Position: 12th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 184

No7.David.Bishop wrote:

Surely you haven't spent the full cap? Why would you pay DM off when you can just keep him and pay him that money?
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:24 pm
Posted by Rubyred1 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:24 pm
Rubyred1 Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 110th / 77,345

homme vaste wrote:
Surely you haven't spent the full cap? Why would you pay DM off when you can just keep him and pay him that money?

We have cash available on Cap, But I can see the logic of paying a high salary off for a player who will most probably only play half the season and spend it on a player who we could get most of the season on the field.
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:31 pm
Posted by RoverAndOut on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:31 pm
RoverAndOut Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 109th / 77,345

I would suggest that paying off DM isn't a great solution at all. We don't need any cap space as we arent using any of the marquee allowances and we likely will not be at full cap.

If we work on the assumption that DM wants half or more of his contract paying up to move off the books, surely the sensible solution is retain him and sign another half back to work alongside both him and Atkin for the season until he retires. This is also seems to be how the club sees it too from what they have said regarding recruitment.
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Posted by Keiththered on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Keiththered Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 14
Rep Position: 97th / 77,345

No7.David.Bishop wrote:

I'm glad you are not our coach.
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:16 pm
Posted by mean_machine on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:16 pm
mean_machine Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 99th / 77,345

I’d take drinkwater, think he’s do a decent job like dobbo did getting us round the pitch. Problem is long term I see that been Atkins position. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign a 6 with a running game, like a Blake green. Who that is I’m not sure but I think we might pull a rabbit out the hat here.

Either way pretty happy if we sign one of these higher calibre half’s
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:17 pm
Posted by Old Timer No 4 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:17 pm
Old Timer No 4 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 98th / 77,345

We need another half. I think to "pay off" DM would be bonkers.. He is still quality and a game changer. The issue we have is if one or more of our halves gets injured, which will probably happen at some point. In crucial positions we need an option, not a player who is not a half standing in for long spells, that,s a potential killer. Admittedly Blair did well, but he has gone. To get rid of one to bring another in would leave us in exactly the same position numbers and risk wise. Get another player who actually plays in that position. Horses for courses and all that. We must have proper cover.
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 pm
Posted by fun time frankie on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 pm
fun time frankie Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 109
Rep Position: 24th / 77,345

So we pay off a world class player and then have to find two half backs I’ve never heard such a ridiculous suggestion in all my life
einstien said insanity is when a person does the same thing over and over again but expects a different result
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 pm
Posted by Seventies red on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 pm
Seventies red Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 109th / 77,345

fun time frankie wrote:
So we pay off a world class player and then have to find two half backs I’ve never heard such a ridiculous suggestion in all my life

I agree 100 percent.
Thank goodness some on here aren't in charge of making the recruitment decisions. :)
Next