WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Board index Other Forums Other Sports Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

A forum for the discussion of sports other than Rugby League.
Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition
Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 pm
Posted by Asim on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 pm
Asim User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

New thread started as the last one was going nowhere.

All posters please take this as a final warning - any personal abuse to other users will result in a ban from this board, attack opinions and posts all you want, but if you want to hurl abuse at someone do it elsewhere.
Posted by Ordsall Quays Red on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:18 pm
Ordsall Quays Red User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Who do people fancy as a "dark horse" for the Euro's then? I say Croatia could spring a surprise and maybe Poland what with being at home and having an easy-ish looking group.
Lancashire CCC = 2011 LV County Champions
Posted by John_D on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 pm
John_D User avatar
Réseau 100% de Treiziste
Réseau 100% de Treiziste

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 77,216

Quiz Score: 336

Fantasy Euro 2012 anyone? I've set up an RLFans league and the code is 97111-66867
Posted by Paul HHZ on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm
Paul HHZ User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Ordsall Quays Red wrote:
Who do people fancy as a "dark horse" for the Euro's then? I say Croatia could spring a surprise and maybe Poland what with being at home and having an easy-ish looking group.

Just done my predictions for a competition at work and it was very difficult.

Fancy Russia to qualify with Poland but whoever qualifies from that group is up against it in the quarters against the likes of Holland, Germany or Portugal.

I actually think the 'dark horse' could come from England's group. Obviously Spain will be a tough draw, but I reckon any of the 4 teams would fancy a crack at Italy/Croatia/Ireland for a Semi spot.
littlerich wrote:
Widnes will be glad to get away from Leigh. They've been regularly pumped, roasted and left in the alley-way by the lobbygobblers. Talk about being bitched - what a torrid time they've had. They'll be looking for some A&E rest time for the next three years at least.
Posted by Lord Tony Smith on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:45 pm
Lord Tony Smith User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,216

Quiz Score: 0

I've had a little flutter on Lewandoski top scorer at 50/1. Think Poland might go a long way as I fancy them to get out of their group.
Posted by Guerrier on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:01 pm
Guerrier User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Lord Tony Smith wrote:
I've had a little flutter on Lewandoski top scorer at 50/1. Think Poland might go a long way as I fancy them to get out of their group.

Decent odds for it, but assuming they get out of their group they've got a massive task on their hands to get past the Quarters.

Group A's not really got any advantage to finishing 1st or 2nd with Holland and Germany most likely lying in wait.
Wigan Warriors - 2017 World Club Champions
Posted by Roddy B on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:01 pm
Roddy B User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Fancy one of the host nations to do well, but other than that it really should be one of France, Spain or Germany winning it.
Posted by John_D on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:10 pm
John_D User avatar
Réseau 100% de Treiziste
Réseau 100% de Treiziste

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 77,216

Quiz Score: 336

I think fatigue will catch up with Spain. The Bilbao lads have played over 60 games this season and Barca have had comfortably over 50 games per season for four years now. They've not had a break and Xavi in particular looked knackered at the back end of the season.
Germany or Holland for mine. I'd have said France, but just watching them now against Estonia and if they continue to pick Philippe Mexes at the back, they will struggle. He's hopeless, but somehow Blanc prefers him to Mamadou Sakho. Baffling.
Posted by Roddy B on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 pm
Roddy B User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

John_D wrote:
I think fatigue will catch up with Spain. The Bilbao lads have played over 60 games this season and Barca have had comfortably over 50 games per season for four years now. They've not had a break and Xavi in particular looked knackered at the back end of the season.
Germany or Holland for mine. I'd have said France, but just watching them now against Estonia and if they continue to pick Philippe Mexes at the back, they will struggle. He's hopeless, but somehow Blanc prefers him to Mamadou Sakho. Baffling.

See Benzema's goal then? I don't like Mexes but they have such a good side. Somebody said the other day, there aren't really any 'great' defenders at this tournament, I don't think the French will be the only ones playing with ten men through the tournament :wink:
Posted by Lord Tony Smith on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:13 pm
Lord Tony Smith User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,216

Quiz Score: 0

Guerrier wrote:
Decent odds for it, but assuming they get out of their group they've got a massive task on their hands to get past the Quarters.

Group A's not really got any advantage to finishing 1st or 2nd with Holland and Germany most likely lying in wait.

That's true, but its worth a few quid given the form he's been in.

Fancy France myself. Awesome squad and haven't been beaten in a ridiculous amount if games, will be aiming to make amends for their shocking World Cup performance.
Next