Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Edinburgh Warrior wrote:
http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018-08-08-bateman-to-leave-wigan

regards EW

I predict a Forum Riot!
Get ready for a complete dissection of Every Syllable!

Edit

Good Luck to the Lad
Sounds like we got the best deal we could in terms of Transfer and possible return (But Fully expect this sentiment to be rejected by some).
Last edited by Jukesays on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Re: Bateman gone official
Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,307

Edinburgh Warrior wrote:
http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018-08-08-bateman-to-leave-wigan

regards EW

Interesting agreement. Don't know how I feel about him instantly becoming a high paid marquee player in what could be 2-3 years walking straight back into the club, when realistically anything can happen in the time he's away.
He could become a worse player (could be the result of an injury, like Sam Tomkins) and/or we might need the marquee spot to improve another key position.
So much could change in 2-3 years.

For John it seems excellent. Plays NRL. and comes back on a wedge.
Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:35 am
Posted by hengirl on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:35 am
hengirl Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,307

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Interesting agreement. Don't know how I feel about him instantly becoming a high paid marquee player in what could be 2-3 years walking straight back into the club, when realistically anything can happen in the time he's away.
He could become a worse player (could be the result of an injury, like Sam Tomkins) and/or we might need the marquee spot to improve another key position.
So much could change in 2-3 years.

For John it seems excellent. Plays NRL. and comes back on a wedge.

Pandering to the fan base maybe?

It seems bizarre to hand tie yourself when so much could change in the time he’s away very odd,what happens after that time and Bateman doesn’t want to come back? As I say very odd.

Still good luck to the lad,his agent has done him proud will he succeed over there I don’t know but I hope so I really do
Last edited by hengirl on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:39 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:39 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,307

hengirl wrote:
Pandering to the fan base maybe?

It seems bizarre to hand tie yourself when so much could change in the time he’s away very odd,what happens after that time and Bateman doesn’t want to come back? As I say very odd.

Still good luck to the lad,his agent has down him proud will he succeed over there I don’t know but I hope so I really do

I'm not sure to be honest. Say we got a substantial fee for him as well, I was hoping we'd see players coming our way as part of the deal, seems not.
Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:44 am
Posted by hengirl on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:44 am
hengirl Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,307

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
I'm not sure to be honest. Say we got a substantial fee for him as well, I was hoping we'd see players coming our way as part of the deal, seems not.

I’d have been happier as you say with a couple of players coming over if only for a year or two,the fee was always written into the deal though,I’m pretty sure when he signed up last time the club where open about that I’d a fee came he’s be off,I just can’t get my head round why they’d handcuff a wage deal like this if,for instance George W hits the heights we all want him too and Sam P turns into cooper Cronk he wants a new deal as depicts his dazzling skills what happens then?

So many questions really and a lot of ifs and buts
Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:48 am
Posted by WiganBurt on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:48 am
WiganBurt User avatar

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,307

i'm glad its finally put to bed, good luck to him. wigan seem to have done some good business here, but i do agree i don't recall ever seeing a player leave but already sign on to return!!

hope it works out well for all parties in 2-3 years' time.
Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:53 am
Posted by Paul Youane on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:53 am
Paul Youane Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,307

Massive loss for Wigan next year. By far your best player. Hope and expect he will go well in the NRL, if he can fill his frame out, that I'm sure Canberra will work on, he could be up with the best in the NRL.

Interesting concept of a pre-agreed marquee contract in 2 or 3 years time. Will we even have the marquee rule at that point? What if he takes to the NRL and the Aussie lifestyle like a duck to water and decides to settle full-time? What if he suffers a serious injury and he can no longer perform anywhere near marquee level?

Can't help but think that part of the deal is anything more than a agreement to agree and well all said and done not rally binding on either party.

The bit about being offered marquee status (and wages) now is not aligned with what general gossip within the game suggests.

Leaves one hell of a void for Wigan to fill. I think it could only realistically be done from the NRL with a marquee level signing. Throwing names like Isa and Paisley around in the press release is frightening from a Wigan's fan POV.
Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:04 am
Posted by Jukesays on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:04 am
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,307

Paul Youane wrote:
Massive loss for Wigan next year. By far your best player. Hope and expect he will go well in the NRL, if he can fill his frame out, that I'm sure Canberra will work on, he could be up with the best in the NRL.

Interesting concept of a pre-agreed marquee contract in 2 or 3 years time. Will we even have the marquee rule at that point? What if he takes to the NRL and the Aussie lifestyle like a duck to water and decides to settle full-time? What if he suffers a serious injury and he can no longer perform anywhere near marquee level?

Can't help but think that part of the deal is anything more than a agreement to agree and well all said and done not rally binding on either party.

The bit about being offered marquee status (and wages) now is not aligned with what general gossip within the game suggests.

Leaves one hell of a void for Wigan to fill. I think it could only realistically be done from the NRL with a marquee level signing. Throwing names like Isa and Paisley around in the press release is frightening from a Wigan's fan POV.

2 points
Just said on a text to a mate that the amount of Detail within the contract will be a Thousand times more intricate than what is in a 20 line press release.
I expect IFL & JB's Lawyers plus Canberra as well to have spent countless hours negotiating it and working over dozens of scenarios etc. (And one of the reasons why it will have taken so long for the Official release & Statement to be made).
I'm more than comfortable that whatever is within that detail will be in the Best interests of Wigan - i.e. on the flip side if he's busted etc. we won't be "Tied" to the deal.

As for it being worrying for Wigan about names like ISA/Paisley etc. whilst not mentioning that he also said Greenwood & Farrell, then I suspect it would be very difficult for Wigan to quote names of potential players that haven't officially signed
Now if he was mentioning Jack Hughes/Livett or Joe Philbin then I would be Worried :wink:
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:11 am
Posted by puroresu_boy on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:11 am
puroresu_boy Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Disappointing to see him go but cant blame him.

What's the obsession with having to re-sign players who leave for the NRL?

This agreement is different as the PR is saying he will defiantly be back which isn't guaranteed at all. In 2 years time are the club budgeting for the return of Bateman as a Marquee signing or are they recruiting elsewhere?

Far too many variables to assume Bateman will be back in 2/3 years.
Next