WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Interview with Ian Lenagan on Wigan tv

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Interview with Ian Lenagan on Wigan tv

Interview with Ian Lenagan on Wigan tv
Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:20 am
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:20 am
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:07 pm
Posts: 30695
Quite an interesting video. Confirms the move to Robin Park at the start of 2019.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Re: Interview with Ian Lenagan on Wigan tv
Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:30 pm
Posted by Jeff the God of Biscuits on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:30 pm
Jeff the God of Biscuits User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 2974
Also notes he's put in ~£800k this year alone. Nice stat for people who think he does things on the cheap.
Don't let your love turn to hate
Now we've got to keep the faith

Wigan Rugby League
Re: Interview with Ian Lenagan on Wigan tv
Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:40 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:40 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 6879
Location: The Mighty Wigan
Really stressed the need for the fans to turn up and support the club.
Posted by DaveO on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:34 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 14256
Location: Chester

Jeff the God of Biscuits wrote:
Also notes he's put in ~£800k this year alone. Nice stat for people who think he does things on the cheap.


I am sure he has spent £800K this year but the question many will ask is, on what?

What fans see is the team on the pitch and not the cost and expense of the back room staff etc and when the club makes such signings as Sarge and see popular players like MM go and not be replaced I think a lot would say he's not getting value for money. I don't think I can recall a time where there was as much apathy in the fans over the squad and potential signings. Greenwood is a solid signing and Hardaker while an obvious talent splits opinion (that may change if he turns out to be a super-star again of course) but there are too many average and poor players running around in the first 17. If he wants bums on seats he needs to make sure the club signs players (and a coach) to put them there because like it or not, that's the sport of expectation Wigan fans have.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:31 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 1860
His £800K expenditure is to underpin the entire club. You can’t build a house on sand or it will just crumble. He’s getting the infrastructure right but as he says, it’s a business and not sustainable unless fans turn up. For fans to turn up in bigger numbers, the product on the field needs to improve so it’s a vicious circle.
I trust IL and believe the club is in the right hands. I’m confident he’ll appoint the right coach and bring in more quality players which we desperately need. (Eh hem.... scrum half please)!
Posted by Ziggy Stardust on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 pm
Ziggy Stardust User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:11 pm
Posts: 2956
Location: Serpo
I have always been and still am a big supporter of IL and his tenure as Chairman at the club, he brought back the good days.

But, he has taken his eye off the ball by allowing Wane so much control, which he is now wrestling back.

Wane should not have had his contract renewed at the end of last year, but was allowed to continue, his boring one man out rugby, big losses and loads of excuses for everything has made the fans not go to games and led to the dwindling crowds.

Wane was allowed the biggest salaried team in the league with 2 Marquee players and has delivered a very poor return, really bad business, IL should have stepped in earlier.

So IL is at fault for this, if he had got rid of Wane sooner it would have salvaged a lot more fans.
Posted by The Whiffy Kipper on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:36 pm
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am
Posts: 579
Rogues Gallery wrote:
Quite an interesting video. Confirms the move to Robin Park at the start of 2019.

For training?
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Re: Interview with Ian Lenagan on Wigan tv
Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 pm
Posted by hengirl on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 pm
hengirl Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 am
Posts: 413
MadDogg wrote:
Really stressed the need for the fans to turn up and support the club.

Stop going off on mad adventures overseas then,I understand the need for new capitol but lets be fair, and Lenegan himself admitted the Oz trip made nowhere near the amounts being touted, and seemed to have hacked off a fair few of the traditional fan base to boot, that coupled with a dearth of "star" names, some bog awful rugby over the last couple of seasons or more has led to a clear downturn of fans at the DW,keep taking people for granted and they will abandon you.
Re: Interview with Ian Lenagan on Wigan tv
Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm
Posted by DaveO on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 14256
Location: Chester

Bigredwarrior wrote:
His £800K expenditure is to underpin the entire club. You can’t build a house on sand or it will just crumble. He’s getting the infrastructure right but as he says, it’s a business and not sustainable unless fans turn up. For fans to turn up in bigger numbers, the product on the field needs to improve so it’s a vicious circle.


He won't break the vicious circle by not investing in the squad and coach. Speculate to accumulate and if he doesn't (or can't afford to on his own but won't seek other investors) and responds to declining revenue from fewer fans attending by funding a poorer squad that circle will turn into a downward spiral. Fans turn up when they are excited not when the chairman asks them to watch an economy 7 side and unfortunately for chairmen and owners that means investing up front in the team and coach in the hope it puts bums on seats and brings success.

I am sure he wants it to be a self sustaining business which if it could be would obviously be great. I mean that stands to reason doesn't it but the trouble with this ambition is an RL club is not a traditional business with a guaranteed revenue stream. At times it will dip and as he has said he has had to put his own money in. What surprises me is anyone thinks this is out of the ordinary for an RL club. Most of them seem to hover around making a small profit to various degrees of loss.

Ultimately the solution is increased sponsorship, particularly off TV companies and I think increasing sponsorship is going to generate far more income than a couple of thousand on the gate average but he's the one who has to secure that. Crowd size ought not to matter. All the talk about SL running itself and growing the revenue for the game is I am sure fueled by a desire to do this.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 am
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 1860
DaveO wrote:
He won't break the vicious circle by not investing in the squad and coach. Speculate to accumulate and if he doesn't (or can't afford to on his own but won't seek other investors) and responds to declining revenue from fewer fans attending by funding a poorer squad that circle will turn into a downward spiral. Fans turn up when they are excited not when the chairman asks them to watch an economy 7 side and unfortunately for chairmen and owners that means investing up front in the team and coach in the hope it puts bums on seats and brings success.

I am sure he wants it to be a self sustaining business which if it could be would obviously be great. I mean that stands to reason doesn't it but the trouble with this ambition is an RL club is not a traditional business with a guaranteed revenue stream. At times it will dip and as he has said he has had to put his own money in. What surprises me is anyone thinks this is out of the ordinary for an RL club. Most of them seem to hover around making a small profit to various degrees of loss.

Ultimately the solution is increased sponsorship, particularly off TV companies and I think increasing sponsorship is going to generate far more income than a couple of thousand on the gate average but he's the one who has to secure that. Crowd size ought not to matter. All the talk about SL running itself and growing the revenue for the game is I am sure fueled by a desire to do this.


I agree with most of this mate but don’t forget, we pay out more or less the full cap plus two marquee salaries. The players (squad) we have are probably as high a standard as we can expect in a salary capped sport. That’s the really sad part.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arthur Warrior, Last Son of Wigan, Pieman, Rogues Gallery, spartakmixtapes and 132 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,820,7851,57377,3074,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 31st Jan 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Fri 8th Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sun 17th Feb 19:00
WCC2019
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Sun 24th Feb 15:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sun 3rd Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
LONDON BRONCOS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 8th Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 15th Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 24th Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 31st Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Fri 5th Apr 19:45
SLXXIV
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 12th Apr 19:45
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 19th Apr 15:15
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Mon 22nd Apr 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 27th Apr 17:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CASTLEFORD
Thu 2nd May 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sat 18th May 17:00
SLXXIV
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






28