WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Do Huddersfield deserve a Rugby League team ??

Board index Super League - Super 8s Huddersfield Giants - claretandgold.co.uk Do Huddersfield deserve a Rugby League team ??

Do Huddersfield deserve a Rugby League team ??
Post Sat May 07, 2016 5:29 am
fartown since 1961 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I stood looking around the ground last night and was disappointed by what I saw.

Far more Leeds fans than the week before far less Huddersfield fans than the week before. 2,500 people less on the night to a non televised match and the difference was the number of fans from Huddersfield.

After two consecutive home wins against arguably the best team in the league and last years treble winners and a controversial defeat at Wigan it was the night we had our last realistic chance of silverware and a derby with our local neighbours.

Yes our squad is light, we need a couple of new signings, our coach makes some strange decisions at times and we have had injuries, retirement and Ferresgate but last night was a big match in so many ways.

£15 for season ticket holders and boy in the area where I sit there were a lot missing. Yes there's an argument that challenge cup attendances are dwindling.

However last nights effort by the people of Huddersfield was the polar opposite to that of the team it was appalling and for those that didn't turn up you missed one of the best tries I have seen in my many years of following the club made by Leroy, Gerry and the blinding pace of our new 'star' full back Ryan Brierley.

The club has deserved some of the 'criticism' it has copped this year but last nights turn out of Huddersfield 'fans' was nothing short of appalling on a night when the team deserved as much support as it could get but I'll bet my bottom dollar should we get to Wembley the missing 2,500 will be there along with many more shame on you !!!!
Re: Do Huddersfield deserve a Rugby League team ??
Post Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am
AntonyGiant Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Another dig at the attendance thread. How many of these discussions do we need a year?
It's the challenge cup, maybe some fans can't fork out the cash to go watch.

Some people may argue that the team don't deserve it this year for the form we've shown.

We've just won a massive game for us. Maybe we should have more positive discussions than the appalling fan base we have.
Post Sat May 07, 2016 8:32 am
raceman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Well said Antony. And I don't really see the point on coming on here with these comments as I'm pretty sure most people on here will have been there last night.
These comments need to be aimed at the Giants marketing team because I work in Manufacturing companies around Huddersfield and lost count of how many people around Huddersfield "had a feeling" we were playing Leeds in the challenge cup this weekend but had no idea whether it was home or away, or what day it was being played. What's happened to the posters we used to see scattered around Town because they need to get out there and let the people of Huddersfield know what's happening.
This will be our year......................................................Hopefully!
But maybe not with child running amock.
Post Sat May 07, 2016 8:52 am
onlyanorthernsoul User avatar
Strong-running second rower

I think the phrase is preaching to the converted.
Post Sat May 07, 2016 8:59 am
fartown since 1961 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

AntonyGiant wrote:
Another dig at the attendance thread. How many of these discussions do we need a year?
It's the challenge cup, maybe some fans can't fork out the cash to go watch.

Some people may argue that the team don't deserve it this year for the form we've shown.

We've just won a massive game for us. Maybe we should have more positive discussions than the appalling fan base we have.

Chicken and egg this without people turning up to support the team where do we get the investment from to kick on next year.

It's not a dig at the fan base its a dig at the 2,500 who couldn't be bothered last night and for once it ain't the club I'm blaming but the apathy of the people that didn't come.

Leeds despite their appalling form of late made up half the attendance and brought more despite losing to us last week. We had a great win last week and half the people who came didn't bother to come this week. Thats my point nothing to do with the fan base just what I think is a fair comment on the crowd last night.
Post Sat May 07, 2016 9:04 am
Jo Jumbuck Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

fartown since 1961 wrote:
I stood looking around the ground last night and was disappointed by what I saw.

Far more Leeds fans than the week before far less Huddersfield fans than the week before. 2,500 people less on the night to a non televised match and the difference was the number of fans from Huddersfield.

After two consecutive home wins against arguably the best team in the league and last years treble winners and a controversial defeat at Wigan it was the night we had our last realistic chance of silverware and a derby with our local neighbours.

Yes our squad is light, we need a couple of new signings, our coach makes some strange decisions at times and we have had injuries, retirement and Ferresgate but last night was a big match in so many ways.

£15 for season ticket holders and boy in the area where I sit there were a lot missing. Yes there's an argument that challenge cup attendances are dwindling.

However last nights effort by the people of Huddersfield was the polar opposite to that of the team it was appalling and for those that didn't turn up you missed one of the best tries I have seen in my many years of following the club made by Leroy, Gerry and the blinding pace of our new 'star' full back Ryan Brierley.

The club has deserved some of the 'criticism' it has copped this year but last nights turn out of Huddersfield 'fans' was nothing short of appalling on a night when the team deserved as much support as it could get but I'll bet my bottom dollar should we get to Wembley the missing 2,500 will be there along with many more shame on you !!!!

I was not there last night, It was a toss up between the Giants and my and my Granddaughters 21st birthday do, Guess which won !. Am I ashamed ? Like hell I am. I know where you are coming from with this but it has been done so many times. You just can't call shame on people because they don't like the same things as you.

I have been in the Cinema with no more that a dozen people in on many occasions, are we to claim Huddersfield doesn't deserve a Cinema. I agree with you that the team deserve better support when they have played as well as they have this last few weeks, but they will only get it from those who like league enough, Because you, or even me like it you ,can't make it compulsory. It takes time to win genuine fans. Hope those days return.

Sounded a very good effort last night from the whole team, especially Brough. Looks like the one's who said Fullback was the place for Brierley are being proved right, I was beginning to doubt it myself but I will be happy to be wrong. Good that Cudjo is getting back to form, he is starting to look the player he was again. A win next week in France will be massive, but at the moment I will settle for a good draw in the CC
Post Sat May 07, 2016 9:56 am
cjg1mpo User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Leeds is the 3rd biggest city in England

London 7.2 Million
    Birmingham 992000
    Leeds 720000
    Glasgow 560000
    Sheffield 512000
    Bradford 467000
    Edinburgh 450000
    Liverpool 44000

By ratio - we kicked there booty in attendance

2014 population in Kirklees 431,020

I dont think there is much more to say really. Its not like Leeds is a long travel.
      Post Sat May 07, 2016 10:05 am
      Code13 100% League Network
      100% League Network

This again?

Did we beat a "big" club again?
      Post Sat May 07, 2016 11:01 am
      jools User avatar
      Silver RLFANS Member
      Silver RLFANS Member

Code13 wrote:
      This again?

Did we beat a "big" club again?

Happens whenever we ruffle a few feathers- the crowd comments come out. Means we are doing something right on the pitch. 8)
      the future's bright the future's claret and gold
      Post Sat May 07, 2016 11:14 am
      onlyanorthernsoul User avatar

It's actually one of our own fans, it's getting really boring. If someone has the answers go and do a job for the club, commission only, everyone's a winner.
      Next