WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Matchroom and Rugby League

Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Matchroom and Rugby League

Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:50 am
Posted by Wires71 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:50 am
Wires71 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 9934
Seems to be gathering pace. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyl ... eague.html

I just admit I am getting quite excited at the prospect.
https://www.mind.org.uk
Re: Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:27 am
Posted by karetaker on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:27 am
karetaker User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 276

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 4531
Location: Moving closer to Widnes at this rate.
For me they would be insane to not let them get involved after what they have done for snooker, darts and boxing to some degree. Yes some say they would only do it for money,of course they would who in right mind wouldn’t want to make a pound,nobody works for nothing.
Re: Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:01 am
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:01 am
Psychedelic Casual Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 20
Rep Position: 15th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:46 pm
Posts: 959
Location: Manchester
I just don’t want the hard-man thug element being what’s at the forefront. I would rather have a more classy angle of the athleticism, skill, power and speed of the sport being the selling point.

We already have all the nonesense of music at volume 17 out of 10, big wooly mascots, cheerleaders, lights out, music after tries and goals rubbish. I hate all that poop. And that’s what they brought to darts and snooker so what will they bring to RL if we already have all that rubbish?

Maybe Matchroom could come along and kill the cheese and make everything less low-base, less small-town highstreet, less Reno more Manhattan. Get rid of music after tries and allow fans to create their own atmosphere (preferably without drums - which are also part of the cheese on toast stuff - but that’s another’s topic).

If you see Gridiron footage selling the game you always get slow-mo footage with filters that makes the game and the players look Godlike. I always get the impression with Matchroom that they’d come along and during the week before a game we’ll have press conferences with the coach of each side accompanied by a player and the two players acting out a scene where they kick off with each other and start flinging tables about.

Makes me dread the thought of them being involved!
--- ¡ We are Wire ! ---
Re: Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 am
Posted by Philth on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 am
Philth User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:12 pm
Posts: 830
Location: Purgatory
If you look at the sports he's been involved with, yes he promotes the sport itself, but he also markets the characters, the reasons why people want to watch Ronnie O's, MVG etc. It might be chance for us to develop a new breed of player that are more media savvy and are a product themselves. To be fair to him, Jon Wilkin has been trying to come across as articulate within the media for a number of years. We need the likes of Ben Currie etc to help with the promo, and i dont just mean running in the snow with the Brownlee brothers.
Richard Henare..............Nuff Said
Re: Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 am
Posted by ninearches on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 am
ninearches Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 304

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 3642
Location: newton-le-willows

As far as darts goes Matchroom have somehow made it a popular "sport" with competitions worldwide & players to match....not bad for what was a pub game 40 years ago. On a personal note ,i find darts even worse than watching paint dry but if Matchroom can bring success to something so one dimensional what could they do with an already exciting (if played properly) sport like rugby league?
The least they change the game the better but just raise the profile. What we don't need is Chris Hill & Sean O'Loughlin ranting at each other through mics for half an hour then ten minutes of rugby each half.
Re: Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:55 am
Posted by Wires71 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:55 am
Wires71 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 9934
Psychedelic Casual wrote:
I just don’t want the hard-man thug element being what’s at the forefront. I would rather have a more classy angle of the athleticism, skill, power and speed of the sport being the selling point.

We already have all the nonesense of music at volume 17 out of 10, big wooly mascots, cheerleaders, lights out, music after tries and goals rubbish. I hate all that poop. And that’s what they brought to darts and snooker so what will they bring to RL if we already have all that rubbish?

Maybe Matchroom could come along and kill the cheese and make everything less low-base, less small-town highstreet, less Reno more Manhattan. Get rid of music after tries and allow fans to create their own atmosphere (preferably without drums - which are also part of the cheese on toast stuff - but that’s another’s topic).


Completely agree but I think the current social demographic that watch and play RL seem to like that low brow stuff. Leaves me cold, in fact I cringe.
https://www.mind.org.uk
Re: Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:20 pm
Posted by Fantastic Mr Catpiss on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:20 pm
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:35 pm
Posts: 35827
ninearches wrote:
As far as darts goes Matchroom have somehow made it a popular "sport" with competitions worldwide & players to match....not bad for what was a pub game 40 years ago. On a personal note ,i find darts even worse than watching paint dry but if Matchroom can bring success to something so one dimensional what could they do with an already exciting (if played properly) sport like rugby league?
The least they change the game the better but just raise the profile. What we don't need is Chris Hill & Sean O'Loughlin ranting at each other through mics for half an hour then ten minutes of rugby each half.



i don't watch snooker, so not sure whats gone on there, but with the darts, it's not so much the game but more they seem to have turned it into a good night out , go get vexed and get rowdy, while in reality not much happens.

Boxing as well, its a good night out again, but people coming from far and wide for a one night event.

Whether they can transition that into multiple matchdays in different enviroments, especially where 'family sport' is pushed, i don't know.


Had these conversations been had 6 month ago, i would have been in favour of saying to them, if you're interested, there's the magic weekend, go publicize that, and see if they can add solid numbers to the attendance for that. Then we'll talk more.
Re: Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 pm
Posted by Wires71 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 pm
Wires71 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 9934
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:

Had these conversations been had 6 month ago, i would have been in favour of saying to them, if you're interested, there's the magic weekend, go publicize that, and see if they can add solid numbers to the attendance for that. Then we'll talk more.


Can still do that now and start negotiations in the meantime, with agreement to follow satisfactory Magic Weekend promotion.
https://www.mind.org.uk
Re: Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:21 pm
Posted by Philth on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:21 pm
Philth User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:12 pm
Posts: 830
Location: Purgatory
They might think that the Magic Weekend isn't a good enough product. When you're taking advice from 'experts' you should let them suggest rather than try and make them fix something that may be broken.

footnote - I don't think magic weekend is broken, but i'm not a sports promoter!
Richard Henare..............Nuff Said
Re: Matchroom and Rugby League
Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:22 pm
Posted by rubber duckie on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:22 pm
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 10575
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:
i don't watch snooker, so not sure whats gone on there, but with the darts, it's not so much the game but more they seem to have turned it into a good night out , go get vexed and get rowdy, while in reality not much happens.

Boxing as well, its a good night out again, but people coming from far and wide for a one night event.

Whether they can transition that into multiple matchdays in different enviroments, especially where 'family sport' is pushed, i don't know.


Had these conversations been had 6 month ago, i would have been in favour of saying to them, if you're interested, there's the magic weekend, go publicize that, and see if they can add solid numbers to the attendance for that. Then we'll talk more.

But that is just not how advertising works....trying to sell out one event of a bunch of unknowns...
Promotion needs constant drip feed over prolonged periods...
Make names within the sport to such a celebrity status people know them like we knew Billy Beaumont Will Carling Rory Underwood Jeremy Gussgot Jonathan Davis Gareth Davis...and John Inver... no I can't say his name...but you would go and see an international or a club game because these celebrities were playing...not because it is 'the silly name cup'
once a wire always a wire
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alffi_7, altofts wildcat, Builth Wells Wire, Eastern Wildcat, Gaz3376, karetaker, lister, NSW, Psychedelic Casual, rubber duckie, Rugby, The Speculator, wire-flyer, wire-wire and 186 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Warrington Wolves


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,761,3921,78376,9594,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 20th Jul 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL KR
v
WARRINGTON
Thu 26th Jul 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
ST. HELENS
v
WARRINGTON
Sun 5th Aug 14:45
CC2018
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






21