WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - No Helmets Required

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace No Helmets Required

No Helmets Required
Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:03 pm
Posted by My Mate Ronnie on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:03 pm
My Mate Ronnie User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 26
Rep Position: 104th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 261
Re: No Helmets Required
Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:36 pm
Posted by Someday on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:36 pm
Someday Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 55
Rep Position: 76th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:00 am
Posts: 471
My Mate Ronnie wrote:

So the BBC has been trying to get the final moved back fo the last 5 yrs so has all the fans what bloody plonkers are the RFL
Re: No Helmets Required
Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:36 pm
Posted by Someday on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:36 pm
Someday Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 55
Rep Position: 76th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:00 am
Posts: 471
My Mate Ronnie wrote:

So the BBC has been trying to get the final moved back fo the last 5 yrs so has all the fans what bloody plonkers are the RFL
Re: No Helmets Required
Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm
Posted by Beverley red on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm
Beverley red Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 117th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:56 pm
Posts: 2342
To me it seems a fair & balanced assessment of the state we are in, that maybe because I think the same? The widely held view is that the biggest factor holding the game back is the RFL (or is it the top clubs fighting their own corner?) To me it has been a no brainier that an international programme with a fixed date in the calendar every year on free to air media will bring in more viewers hence better sponsorship & Advertising revenue that all the club games put together. It would also create an audience for the challenge cup & club games in the long term.
Get rid of the loop fixtures, get the international tours back. But most of all give the media the fixtures they want at a time that’s best for them as they know what sells & when it sells.
That said the biggest challenge will be getting the inward looking self obsessed Aussies to even consider the game outside Sydney.
Re: No Helmets Required
Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:38 pm
Posted by rollin thunder on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:38 pm
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 143
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm
Posts: 2996
Beverley red wrote:
To me it seems a fair & balanced assessment of the state we are in, that maybe because I think the same? The widely held view is that the biggest factor holding the game back is the RFL (or is it the top clubs fighting their own corner?) To me it has been a no brainier that an international programme with a fixed date in the calendar every year on free to air media will bring in more viewers hence better sponsorship & Advertising revenue that all the club games put together. It would also create an audience for the challenge cup & club games in the long term.
Get rid of the loop fixtures, get the international tours back. But most of all give the media the fixtures they want at a time that’s best for them as they know what sells & when it sells.
That said the biggest challenge will be getting the inward looking self obsessed Aussies to even consider the game outside Sydney.


Don't think there is much in that article and what you said that most people don't agree on, but The RFL have had there heads up their own a***** so long now and do not listen. interestingly i always thought it was the Beeb who made us play the CC that weekend, appears we are all misinformed.
Re: No Helmets Required
Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:44 pm
Posted by ThePrinter on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:44 pm
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 114
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 10867
Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
rollin thunder wrote:
Don't think there is much in that article and what you said that most people don't agree on, but The RFL have had there heads up their own a***** so long now and do not listen. interestingly i always thought it was the Beeb who made us play the CC that weekend, appears we are all misinformed.


It was the Beeb, but the first year under the Bank Holiday August Final was back in 2005 so they’ve obviously changed their minds over time. Think originally it was yo fit us in around other sporting events they had at the time, now they have less that’s probably less of a problem to find weekends to fit RL in.
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
Re: No Helmets Required
Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:02 pm
Posted by Him on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:02 pm
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 74
Rep Position: 58th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 4

Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:47 am
Posts: 14332
Location: Campaigning for a deep attacking line
If the BBC have been asking to move it then it would seem daft to keep it in August. I suppose it might depend on what contract the RFL have with Wembley.

On the internationals I agree entirely with the article that they should be our priority. However it’s tricky for the RFL when we only have 2 other international teams to play. Even if the Aussies weren’t a bunch of pillocks it would soon get boring if we played them much more than we currently do.
I think we need to somehow get the internationals mid-season rather than end of season and also have a European nations comp every year at the same time as a Pacific Nations comp down under.

Give Wales & France guaranteed games against England every year and they’ll soon develop much quicker and it also gives England a chance to develop a proper brand/identity and following. I also think we need to find a stadium and make it our home. Maybe somewhere like Man City’s ground. I think we seriously struggle because half the time even die-hard fans don’t know when and where the games are going to be. A union fan knows that every year there are going to be a minimum of 3 games at Twickers and they know roughly when they’re going to be. We don’t even know if England are going to play any games at all in 2019 for instance.
Get some long term certainty in the internationals and I think we’ll see the popularity increase.

The RFL’s hands are also tied to some degree by the clubs and the NRL. The clubs are the biggest negative in the game in my opinion and desperately need power taking away from them. The NRL are just as short-sighted unfortunately. They’re happy in their own little insular world and can’t see the opportunity they’re missing. An opportunity that Union didn’t miss.
Re: No Helmets Required
Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:34 pm
Posted by ThePrinter on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:34 pm
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 114
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 10867
Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Whilst you can blame the clubs looking after their own interests.....where do International teams get their players from?
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
Re: No Helmets Required
Post Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 am
Posted by Him on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 am
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 74
Rep Position: 58th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 4

Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:47 am
Posts: 14332
Location: Campaigning for a deep attacking line
ThePrinter wrote:
Whilst you can blame the clubs looking after their own interests.....where do International teams get their players from?

The clubs. But that’s a non-argument in my opinion. Where do the clubs get their income from? The fans, sponsors and the TV deal. Leeds playing Wigan or Cas a third, fourth, fifth or even sixth time in a season isn’t going to bring any more fans or sponsors into the game nor is it going to increase the tv deal.

The clubs are sticking themselves to a vicious circle of fighting over a few quid now that doesn’t in any way help invest in the future. Internationals do. And would bring bigger gains to the clubs in the future.

Union saw this decades ago and the clubs regularly sacrifice the loss of their players because they see the huge benefits it can bring.

We have to prioritise the international game, it’s the only time we ever become even slightly relevant to the rest of the country.

People outside RL areas naturally don’t relate to Castleford or St Helens etc most people won’t even know these places exist, why would they? There’s still a lingering recognition of Wigan from their famous run and also from the football team but even the cities of Leeds and Hull don’t inspire relevance to someone living in Gloucester say. They’re just relatively small sports teams from a city up north. There’s nothing for anyone outside RL to grasp hold of and relate to. When England play that is reversed. And a lot of the issues and struggles we have in getting media attention and cut through to people outside RL are solved simply by England playing in front of a good crowd on the BBC. Get that more regularly and we’ll start to see an uptick in acknowledgement across the country. It’s a slow process but we have to start it at some point. Unfortunately Union stoke a march on us 30+ years ago and we’ve been busy wasting time effort and money on short term rubbish since.

The clubs can feel better in the short term with an extra few K in their balance and so they can go and buy another Aussie but in 5 years time e’ll be back with the same issues and just 5 years wasted bumbling along with a load of clubs desperate to be the biggest fish regardless of the fact the pond has become a puddle.
Re: No Helmets Required
Post Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:49 am
Posted by ThePrinter on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:49 am
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 114
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 10867
Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Him wrote:
The clubs. But that’s a non-argument in my opinion. Where do the clubs get their income from? The fans, sponsors and the TV deal. Leeds playing Wigan or Cas a third, fourth, fifth or even sixth time in a season isn’t going to bring any more fans or sponsors into the game nor is it going to increase the tv deal.

The clubs are sticking themselves to a vicious circle of fighting over a few quid now that doesn’t in any way help invest in the future. Internationals do. And would bring bigger gains to the clubs in the future.

Union saw this decades ago and the clubs regularly sacrifice the loss of their players because they see the huge benefits it can bring.

We have to prioritise the international game, it’s the only time we ever become even slightly relevant to the rest of the country.

People outside RL areas naturally don’t relate to Castleford or St Helens etc most people won’t even know these places exist, why would they? There’s still a lingering recognition of Wigan from their famous run and also from the football team but even the cities of Leeds and Hull don’t inspire relevance to someone living in Gloucester say. They’re just relatively small sports teams from a city up north. There’s nothing for anyone outside RL to grasp hold of and relate to. When England play that is reversed. And a lot of the issues and struggles we have in getting media attention and cut through to people outside RL are solved simply by England playing in front of a good crowd on the BBC. Get that more regularly and we’ll start to see an uptick in acknowledgement across the country. It’s a slow process but we have to start it at some point. Unfortunately Union stoke a march on us 30+ years ago and we’ve been busy wasting time effort and money on short term rubbish since.

The clubs can feel better in the short term with an extra few K in their balance and so they can go and buy another Aussie but in 5 years time e’ll be back with the same issues and just 5 years wasted bumbling along with a load of clubs desperate to be the biggest fish regardless of the fact the pond has become a puddle.


Problem with most of your argument is the belief that the strength in international sides of good enough to capture the attention on tv broadcasters. Yes the NZ series did good and Aus will do too over here at prime times but playing 2nd tier teams won’t nor will away fixtures played at 5/6am.

A key reason why the England RU international calendar works is because they have competitive Northern Hemisphere teams to compete against and those Northern Hemisphere countries all have competitive club sides.

That’s a key problem in RL, that some people think we can grow other NH international teams just by playing them once or twice a year at international level without those countries having prominent club sides like Wales and Ireland do in RU

You can exaggerate about SOME clubs POSSIBLY playing each other 4/5 times but that’s a lame argument. Of course more fixtures bring the clubs more money through sponsors and tv deals etc. so why should they turn them down in favour of 2nd tier International teams who tv aren’t interested in....did BBC pick up the Eng vs Fra game recently? No. We obviously could play Aus and NZ more but let’s see you or anyone else have any luck in talking the NRL into making space to fit those games in.
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AS108, Bing [Bot], Bull Mania, caslad75, ComeOnYouUll, Hasbag, HKRYorkie, Instalamus, little wayne69, Lockers700, Matt_Horton, Moe syslak, reffy, Someday and 122 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,863,6531,52577,4934,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
 Full Time (Hover Score) 
NRL
CRONULLA
20-6
GOLD COAST
 Full Time (Hover Score) 
NRL
NEWCASTLE
14-16
PENRITH
 Full Time (Hover Score) 
NRL
MANLY
18-26
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
 Full Time  
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
12-38
TOULOUSE
L
I
V
E
 
TODAY : 17:00
SLXXIV
CATALAN DRAGONS
0-6
LEEDS RHINOS
Handley Try, Sutcliffe Goal
LIVE ON SKY SPORTS
TOMORROW 05:05
NRL
CANTERBURY
v
PARRAMATTA EELS
TOMORROW 07:10
NRL
WESTS TIGERS
v
NZ WARRIORS
TOMORROW 11:00
 CH1
WEST WALES
v
WHITEHAVEN
TOMORROW 15:00
SLXXIV
LONDON BRONCOS
v
HULL FC
TOMORROW 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






2