WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Sunday Rugby League VS Night games

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Sunday Rugby League VS Night games

Sunday Rugby League VS Night games
Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:54 pm
Posted by EastHullUTR on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:54 pm
EastHullUTR User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Was just thinking about some of the pros/cons of the Sunday/Friday night debate

Friday/Thursday[/u]
Pros
Often good atmospheres for clubs in the same county/derbies
Good for the younger adult fans who want a drink
'Special feeling' of under the lights
Doesn't clash with Premiership football
Cons
Hard for away fans to get across this hill due to the shambles that is the M62
Not good for familys
No chance to hold double headers, Women's game, PDRL, Reserves etc
Poor atmosphere for games against the likes of Catalan. I mean a night home home against Catalan? :SLEEPY:
Obviously not the traditional Sunday 3pm spot most fans want
Sunday
Pros
Always generally a good atmosphere/feel to the game
Great for taking the kids
Double headers etc
Chance for clubs to bring strong away followings (more revenue for the respective clubs) for example Rovers last season in the championship
Going home to a Sunday dinner cooked by the missus :lol:
Cons
Not ideal for younger fans who enjoy/want a good session however doesn't seem to put people off
Clashes with Premiership football

As you can see expansionist or flat capper. Sunday games are best for Rugby League! :SHOOT: :IDEA:
"Never forget the people who love you... The Supporters" Roger Millward MBE 1947-2016
Re: Sunday Rugby League VS Night games
Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 pm
Posted by ALAW on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 pm
ALAW Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,185

Quiz Score: 0

Love Friday night matches. Leaves Sundays free for families to go out for the day. Would love for clubs to have their matches always on the same day off the week though
Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 pm
Posted by Upanunder on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 pm
Upanunder Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,185

EastHullUTR wrote:
Sunday games are best for Rugby League! :SHOOT: :IDEA:

/thread
Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:16 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:16 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,185

when I were a lad...
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:01 am
Posted by King Street Cat on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:01 am
King Street Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 21
Rep Position: 14th / 77,185

Quiz Score: 268

I've always enjoyed Friday night games, but Thursday night games should never have gone further than the ideas stage.
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."
Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 am
Posted by The Ghost of '99 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 am
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,185

Quiz Score: 36

Fridays are perfect for corporate entertaining compared to weekends. Clubs which have this as a big part of their business will always prefer that day. Thursdays, in theory, too to a degree but there are other complications for regular and away fans with that.

I'd also challenge the notion that Sunday is "what most fans want". Maybe at some clubs with some traditions but it depends on the club. The ground also, suburban vs out of town, will have an effect.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:09 am
Posted by Beverley red on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:09 am
Beverley red Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,185

One of my pet subjects this! As an older fan I personally don’t like Thursday or Friday nights, one as I have to travel into Hull it means either public transport & as a bus pass holder no problem but, with a finish around 10pm there is no bus or train to get me home before midnight. My lifestyle means I am usually off to bed around 10. I was a season ticket holder for 20 Years but as most games are now night ones I don’t go except the odd Sunday game or tonight 6pm. Also there is no way I would take my grand kids off school next day or not into the city that late at night, I can go by car but then can’t have a drink. One last point KR have on Sunday games a very large following of young kids with young couples a lot who don’t come for evenings & they are the games future. Sadly the club has decided to go this rout as TV means most games are Friday night to avoid short turn round. Me I wish the super league would insist no other games clash with live broadcasts.
Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:21 am
Posted by TheUnassumingBadger on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:21 am
TheUnassumingBadger User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Personally I will always strongly associate Sunday's with Rugby League, playing as a junior in the morning, then go to the game at 3pm in the afternoon. It sounds strange but a lot of the magic of the evening fixtures for me came because it was on TV, either being at the game with the screen or watching on TV. It doesn't feel the same being at a non-televised evening game.

I would like to see the friday night games reserved for local derbies. As mentioned above, travelling across the Pennines at 6pm on a friday night is enough to put anyone off going to a game.
Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:23 am
Posted by EastHullUTR on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:23 am
EastHullUTR User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Beverley red wrote:
One of my pet subjects this! As an older fan I personally don’t like Thursday or Friday nights, one as I have to travel into Hull it means either public transport & as a bus pass holder no problem but, with a finish around 10pm there is no bus or train to get me home before midnight. My lifestyle means I am usually off to bed around 10. I was a season ticket holder for 20 Years but as most games are now night ones I don’t go except the odd Sunday game or tonight 6pm. Also there is no way I would take my grand kids off school next day or not into the city that late at night, I can go by car but then can’t have a drink. One last point KR have on Sunday games a very large following of young kids with young couples a lot who don’t come for evenings & they are the games future. Sadly the club has decided to go this rout as TV means most games are Friday night to avoid short turn round. Me I wish the super league would insist no other games clash with live broadcasts.

Not just us older fans that don't like Thursdays/Fridays. When Hull KR are playing at home on a Sunday there's only one place to be in East Hull at 3PM :D
"Never forget the people who love you... The Supporters" Roger Millward MBE 1947-2016
Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:45 am
Posted by EastHullUTR on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:45 am
EastHullUTR User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Call Me God wrote:
when I were a lad...

:lol: :lol:
Next