Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:14 am
Posted by UllFC on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:14 am
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

As a Hull fan, pleased to see Connor given his chance, he has been quality for us all year at centre and in the halves in a disrupted season for us with injuries.

Seen a few comment already about no Scott Taylor, but he has played under painkiller for us a few times due to a shoulder injury, so happy he isn’t being risked.

http://www.rugby-league.com/england/article/52628/three-uncapped-players-selected-for-new-zealand-test
Re: England Squad
Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:31 am
Posted by Trinity18 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:31 am
Trinity18 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 100

Agree about Taylor, if he's 100% fit then get him in the team but no point limiting our options before the game has even started.

Disappointing to see no Richardson or Johnstone
Eastmoor born and bred, hardest lad around.
Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 am
Posted by Mr. Zucchini Head on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 am
Mr. Zucchini Head Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 8

Trinity18 wrote:
Agree about Taylor, if he's 100% fit then get him in the team but no point limiting our options before the game has even started.

Disappointing to see no Richardson or Johnstone

Williams can consider himself lucky imo. I would have gone for Richardson every time. Johnstone will play for England sooner or later, but he wasnt going to leave out Hall or McGilvray, and from what I have seen this year, Makinson just edges Johnstone.

I am pretty sure Taylor's shoulder will be the main reason he isnt involved. He was already a part of the squad and has only enhanced his reputation further this year imo. In his absence I am pleased to see Thompson get a shot though. He has been really good this year.

Really pleased for Connor. He will take to international RL like a duck to water imo. One of the most naturally gifted players I have seen. Very easy to forget he is 23.
Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:46 am
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:46 am
Psychedelic Casual Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 20
Rep Position: 15th / 77,222

Only one Hooker when Daryl Clark has been superb this season and Hodgson injured, is bizarre
--- ¡ We are Wire ! ---
Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:52 am
Posted by the artist on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:52 am
the artist User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

glad to see jake connor get recognised by WB he's having an outstanding season. don't forget he's a useful goal kicker too.

and of course we all would like to see him get under the skins of the kiwis, and maybe down the line the aussies, as long as he keeps on the right side of the penalty/liability line
The referee's indecision is final
Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 pm
Posted by Bull Mania on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 pm
Bull Mania User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 24th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 12

Would have liked to have seen Richardson in there, but we need some consistency in the HBs, they don't get that many chances to play together. Williams looks shattered though. Good to see Connor in.

Glad Makinson is in there. Mcgilvary and Hall have shown up well in England colours so deserve their place. Charnely has impressed me since his return and maybe unlucky to miss out. Johnstone still needs to do more IMO to get in. He'll play for England one day, but hasn't done enough to get in of others IMHO (he was dropped by Chester earlier in the year and arguably BJB has been playing better) but the lads obviously gifted, seems very down to earth and will be selected one day, just not yet IMO.

Decent squad IMO
Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:24 pm
Posted by nottinghamtiger on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:24 pm
nottinghamtiger Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,222

Since his return, Charley has been better than Hall and McGilvary. Yes, they’ve played well for England before but I don’t buy this idea that playing well in the past should make a player an automatic selection for the future.
I can only assume George Williams has some compromising photos of Bennett. He’s been woeful when I’ve seen him play this year.

Also worth pointing out that Wigan are playing Cas on the same weekend. What money that one or two of their players suffer a minor injury the week beforehand and withdraw as a precaution, only to play the competitive game rather than a meaningless friendly?
Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm
Posted by acko on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm
acko User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I would have liked to have seen more of the young'er players picked for this friendly game,My picks would have been this lot even if it's just to be in the squad for the Experience which would have done them the world of good.

Richardson -Saints
A. Milner - Cas
TJ. or BJB - Wakey Spec's on
J. Connor -Hull fc Been picked
R.Grace -Saints
J.Walker - Leeds
J. Charmley - Wire
M. Ashurst - Wakey spec's on
J. Shaul - Hull fc

Up The Trin
We are TRINITY's barmy army.

SWFC the owls are coming for you
Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:48 pm
Posted by Jimathay on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:48 pm
Jimathay User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,222

A few names are certainly unlucky to miss out, but I think that's probably more down to the fact that the game is in Denver, so he's only named a travelling 19 man squad, which is sensible.

If this was a "proper" international week, Bennet would have probably picked a 24 man training squad, and had them for the week, before picking his 19&17 from there.

When you have to select 19 guys to jump straight onto a plane, it's probably best to pick from the players you already know and trust, even if their form is a little shonky.

Which is one reason why this fixture is a bit silly - it doesn't do the England setup or Bennet any favours.
-Long time lurker-
Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:29 pm
Posted by Mr. Zucchini Head on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:29 pm
Mr. Zucchini Head Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 8

acko wrote:
I would have liked to have seen more of the young'er players picked for this friendly game,My picks would have been this lot even if it's just to be in the squad for the Experience which would have done them the world of good.

Richardson -Saints
A. Milner - Cas
TJ. or BJB - Wakey Spec's on
J. Connor -Hull fc Been picked
R.Grace -Saints
J.Walker - Leeds
J. Charmley - Wire
M. Ashurst - Wakey spec's on
J. Shaul - Hull fc

Up The Trin

I fully agree. On an occasion such as this I dont think it does any harm to take a few of the fringe players along even if they know they arent going to play. Just getting to experience being in that environment is great for players development imo.

And I dont Ashurst is a "wakey specs on" pick. He is a cracking player who would do a job for sure.
Next