WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - BBC to televise/stream 1st Round CC tie 27/28th January

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace BBC to televise/stream 1st Round CC tie 27/28th January

Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:19 pm
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 24th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 396

This is not on the BBC website or the RFL website readily nor their twitter feed (which is pitiful) just saw it on Total RL where the news was revealed.
http://www.totalrl.com/rfl-set-confirm- ... e-cup-tie/
I guess this means streamed on the website/red button as opposed to one of the main channels.
Posted by headhunter on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:22 pm
headhunter User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Hope they show London Chargers vs Hammersmith
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.
Posted by Grimmy on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:05 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 248

Leigh Miners v Myton would be my pick. Either of those teams would beat most League 1 sides. East Leeds v Thornhill should be a good game too.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:36 am
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 76,959

Great news, British Army v Milford Marlins would be my pick.
Posted by yorksguy1865 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 am
yorksguy1865 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,959

Quiz Score: 252

There are a lot of intriguing ties there, I would probably go with the London game as well, good opportunity to showcase the game in the capital.
Posted by Grimmy on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:48 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 248

yorksguy1865 wrote:
There are a lot of intriguing ties there, I would probably go with the London game as well, good opportunity to showcase the game in the capital.

What is the standard like? I'm not familiar with the amateur game down there
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by shinymcshine on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:10 am
shinymcshine Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 76,959

Grimmy wrote:

In my opinion (not based on specific knowledge of the two clubs involved, but based on my involvement with clubs who have played in what used to be called the Rugby League (Summer) Conference and the London League).

They will only be as good as the players who turn up / are available. Many of the clubs outside the heartlands are still reliant upon RU players, and/or in London, players from the Southern hemisphere. Lots of good work is being done by dedicated volunteers to promote the game, but its still generally lacking a dedicated RL player base (aside from exiled RL players who won't play RU).
Posted by Call Me God on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:17 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 76,959

Grimmy wrote:

The Chargers v the Hoists will be a good showcase for the sport in general......I believe Hoists have some of their games streamed online back to Australia where most of their players come from......and the Chargers are their #1 rivals in the south.
https://www.hillshoists.co.uk/
http://www.londonchargersrl.com/
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 24th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 396

shinymcshine wrote:
In my opinion (not based on specific knowledge of the two clubs involved, but based on my involvement with clubs who have played in what used to be called the Rugby League (Summer) Conference and the London League).

They will only be as good as the players who turn up / are available. Many of the clubs outside the heartlands are still reliant upon RU players, and/or in London, players from the Southern hemisphere. Lots of good work is being done by dedicated volunteers to promote the game, but its still generally lacking a dedicated RL player base (aside from exiled RL players who won't play RU).

The std used to be a lot higher, my old team St.Albans Cents hammered Coventry Bears in the summer conference grand final in 2010 for the Harry Jepsom Trophy, playing some absolutely fantastic rugby (the summer comp had leagues from all around the UK incl some very tasty Northern based teams).
When it came to the CC it was usually more down to having not had any games under your belt if you got a 1st round CC match than players turning up given our season started around March and the Northern teams were battle hardened and with full availability (for the most part)

We got a prelim CC game against British police in 2011 and both aspects reared their heads, we had a load of kids, hadn't played a match and narrowly lost. If we had had the same or spine of the 2010 final team from only 14 weeks earlier we'd have got through the prelims/early rounds easily and would have given Hunslet Hawks a better game than Warrington (wizards) did in rd3.

It'll be what it is, whichever teams are chosen it'll be 2 teams giving their all and it will still be entertaining no matter what the level.
Posted by Roy Haggerty on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 pm
Roy Haggerty User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 17
Rep Position: 18th / 76,959

knockersbumpMKII wrote:
The std used to be a lot higher, my old team St.Albans Cents hammered Coventry Bears in the summer conference grand final in 2010 for the Harry Jepsom Trophy, playing some absolutely fantastic rugby (the summer comp had leagues from all around the UK incl some very tasty Northern based teams).
When it came to the CC it was usually more down to having not had any games under your belt if you got a 1st round CC match than players turning up given our season started around March and the Northern teams were battle hardened and with full availability (for the most part)

We got a prelim CC game against British police in 2011 and both aspects reared their heads, we had a load of kids, hadn't played a match and narrowly lost. If we had had the same or spine of the 2010 final team from only 14 weeks earlier we'd have got through the prelims/early rounds easily and would have given Hunslet Hawks a better game than Warrington (wizards) did in rd3.

It'll be what it is, whichever teams are chosen it'll be 2 teams giving their all and it will still be entertaining no matter what the level.

I'm not sure I agree the standard used to be a lto higher. What I would say is that 5-10 years ago there was a more widespread group of clubs of similar standard, of which St Albans were one, along with the likes of Hemel, South London, West London and Skolars.

In recent years, that competitive group has shrunk considerably, and for the last few seasons, Hammersmith and Chargers (a merger of South and West London) have been far and away the best two sides, with quite a large gap to everyone else, although Wests Warriors have had the occasional strong season when they've had a decent crop of expats. But things were getting very ropey by my last season of refereeing in the competition in 2016. Lots of fixtures unfulfilled, and lots of one-sided slaughters. And even worse when you left the M25 to clubs outside the capital, who were really struggling.

One thing that's symptomatic of the trouble the amateur game is in down here is that it's remarkably hard to find information about the competitions, results, league tables or even clubs from as recently as 2017. Google search for anything to do with london amateur rugby league, and in most cases even the wikipedia pages were last updated years ago, while it's impossible to find previous league tables or results. In fact, I've been trying for an hour now, and I can't find any information about last year's competition (when I was not refereeing, having moved house to the Isle of Wight), and can't actually find anything on this year's competition apart from individual club websites which haven't been updated for a very long time. I fear a bit for the future of our game in the South.

"...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these
boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. "
Next