WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - What is the best design for a stadium?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace & RLWC2017 What is the best design for a stadium?

What is the best design for a stadium?
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 pm
Posted by Levrier on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I know that some clubs are looking for new homes. Perhaps there are some lessons to learn from some of the most recent moves. Watching Wigan at the Pie Dome can be a dispiriting experience when the crowd falls below about 12000.
Recently I watched French union game whilst on holiday. The team, Oyonnax, had just been promoted and the ground had been improved. One of the big stands was like a big temporary stand with nothing underneath but a mass of trusses and braces. As a result it was like a huge drum creating a bowel loosening sound from a modest crowd. It set me thinking about the lack of atmosphere in a lot of new grounds compared to what you get at some older grounds like cas. If we are going to get bodies through the turnstiles we need to provide atmosphere.
Re: What is the best design for a stadium?
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 am
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 am
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Rectangular, with stands and seating on all four sides, and a retractable roof.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2019!

Avignon for Championship in 2020, Super League in 2021!
Posted by Mable_Syrup on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:40 am
Mable_Syrup User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I quite like the bowl shape rather than the standard separate 4 sides
Posted by Wellsy13 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:56 am
Wellsy13 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Bowl is definitely better. Donny with terracing, or Wire with the last two corners filled in.
Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 am
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

KC stadium is a very, very good design. Externally it's very aesthetically pleasing on the eye in the landscape. https://enterprisetimes.co.uk/wp-conten ... tadium.jpg
Even with 11-12k in a 24k stadium the atmosphere can be fantastic, when it's rocking with a packed house it's incredible.

Sorry Chorley boy but rectangles are so 19th century, the design makes it awkward to have fluidity, especially if you want open concourses that are easy access and safe.
Also the furthest away fans are closer than in a comparable traditional rectangular stadium.
All seater is fine for me, I don't feel the need to stand.
The only thing the KCOM could have is a bigger screen.

Access and egress is massively important, being able to safely get to a stadium on foot and have covered and secure bicycle parking (not just for fans but for those using the facilities on a daily basis would be desirable. the KC had the chance to have a railway halt/spur the same as Boothferry Park had but this was binned off sadly. Though the fair ground land is not ideal it's a damn sight better than parking at other grounds and at least there is the option of the park and ride.
Posted by Wigg'n on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:46 am
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Wembley is pretty good.
Posted by cravenpark1 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 am
cravenpark1 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Wigg'n wrote:
Wembley is pretty good.

But not has good has it should have been
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well
Posted by wrencat1873 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:12 am
wrencat1873 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

THe KC stadium (or whatever FC call their ground these days) is far and away the best ground in SL in just about every aspect.
It looks good, plenty of leg room, easy access and creates a cracking atmosphere, obviously improved when close to capacity, although this is true of most of the grounds.
There isn't really a close second but, I quite like Leigh's ground, which is ideal for them. ie, not too big, decent facilities and a decent atmosphere.
The most disappointing ground is Salford.
To say that it's the newest ground, there is so much wrong with it.
Apart from the parking chaos (although this has improved recently (possibly due to lowes attendances), the huge main stand, although it has decent facilities, dwarfs the rest of the ground and just makes it look like a lego kit and the beer is absolutely shocking ! - very friendly staff though.

A mixture of terracing and seating is still the way forward though (like the Halliwell Jones Stadium) and as others have said, once the corners are filled in, this will be very good for a modern ground.

As a Trinity fan though, any of the new grounds would be great, if only the politicians would keep their ***** promises !
Posted by Dave K. on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:55 am
Dave K. 100% League Network
100% League Network

wrencat1873 wrote:
THe KC stadium (or whatever FC call their ground these days) is far and away the best ground in SL in just about every aspect.
It looks good, plenty of leg room, easy access and creates a cracking atmosphere, obviously improved when close to capacity, although this is true of most of the grounds.
There isn't really a close second but, I quite like Leigh's ground, which is ideal for them. ie, not too big, decent facilities and a decent atmosphere.
The most disappointing ground is Salford.
To say that it's the newest ground, there is so much wrong with it.
Apart from the parking chaos (although this has improved recently (possibly due to lowes attendances), the huge main stand, although it has decent facilities, dwarfs the rest of the ground and just makes it look like a lego kit and the beer is absolutely shocking ! - very friendly staff though.

A mixture of terracing and seating is still the way forward though (like the Halliwell Jones Stadium) and as others have said, once the corners are filled in, this will be very good for a modern ground.

As a Trinity fan though, any of the new grounds would be great, if only the politicians would keep their ***** promises !

The only problem with the KC is the size for rugby (And football currently).

The best thing about the ground is the location, close to loads of pubs etc.
Re: What is the best design for a stadium?
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 pm
Posted by Buggo on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 pm
Buggo Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Next