WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Match-day 17's salary cap percentage

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Match-day 17's salary cap percentage

Match-day 17's salary cap percentage
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:24 am
Phil Clarke User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

What do you guys feel about clubs showing their game day 17 man squads salary cap percentage?

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/n ... percentage
Wigan Warriors will always be the biggest club in the world of rugby league
I own the RL Gods
Re: Match-day 17's salary cap percentage
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:52 am
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

It would only make sense on an absolute basis if you also knew how much each club spent out of the total cap. A club spending 90% of its cap on its matchday 17 could still be paying less overall than a team paying 30% if their total spend were much lower. You could make relative judgements anyway, but you can do that close enough just by looking at who's in and out of the squad.

Also, if you followed even the total team percentages every week it wouldn't be hard to estimate what an individual earned as part of the total, even if not the actual £. All you'd need is a few changes each week.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:12 am
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I think it's a stat that would be of mild interest on first hearing but would have us tearing our hair out if it were trotted out week after week.
Also, despite the column pointing out that a player's earnings should be a private matter, in the event of a team making one change between games a bit of basic maths would give a pretty fair indication of what both player and his replacement were on.

Sorry Phil, not a winner for me :wink:
"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 am
PrinterThe Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Meh, seems only useful to Sky commentators who could trott it out repeatadly during a game like they already do when a team has a load of injuries.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:27 am
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

I do think the RFL should announce at the start of the season each clubs salary cap availability.

There always seems to be a flurry of signings before the split that makes me wonder why teams was so far under the cap that they can add 4 new players in June.

Wigan recently had 10 players out, of which some like Tomkins Farrell O'Loughlin Burgess must be big earners, yet still fielded a team with plenty of internationals in it which made me wonder how they could possibly fit them under the cap.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:54 am
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
I do think the RFL should announce at the start of the season each clubs salary cap availability.

There always seems to be a flurry of signings before the split that makes me wonder why teams was so far under the cap that they can add 4 new players in June.

Wigan recently had 10 players out, of which some like Tomkins Farrell O'Loughlin Burgess must be big earners, yet still fielded a team with plenty of internationals in it which made me wonder how they could possibly fit them under the cap.

I agree if only to keep the likes of GH honest in his pronouncements :D something which was sadly not the case during the 2016/17 off season.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 am
xparksider User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Statistics, statistics and more statistics. I can't see how this will improve my enjoyment of a good game or make a bad game seem any better. After a game I'm not really interested in which player has made most tackles, yardage, offloads etc. I'm only interested in my personal level of enjoyment. Am I in the minority??
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:22 am
Bull Mania User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

The SC percentage thing doesn't really interest me. However i do wish we would maybe publish our top earners in SL. You can do this easily with the NRL and see what the top players earn. But for some reason in SL it is total secrecy. We struggle for column inches, yet keep stuff papers probably would print secret.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am
pie.warrior User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

wonder how much in percentage of the £1.85m salary cap is actually commentating on the live games, ie Eddie, Phil, Stuart etc etc ....are they good value for money..??? would we be better off getting rid of the Marquee presenter and having to cheaper presenters in his place who may know twice as much..??
A Pie is for life, not just a Wembley Final
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:08 am
NEwildcat User avatar

I'd quite like to know what Phil's cut is of his "family" business selling contracted RL players to RU clubs? :PIMP:
Next