Hudgell slates Chalmers
Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 pm
Posted by Johnbulls on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 pm
Johnbulls Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,033

Quiz Score: 0

Interesting article on the Serious About Rugby League website which I'm sure someone with far more idea than me can put a link up on here in which Neil Hudgell Hull KR chairman refers to Andrew Chamlers as a "complete irritant "and accusses him of working behind smoke and mirrors.
Last edited by Johnbulls on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Hudgell slates Chalmers
Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:02 pm
Posted by roofaldo2 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:02 pm
roofaldo2 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Link To Story

It seems that he's trying to deflect away from what has actually been said by the Leeds camp - namely that the sport needs to move as a whole rather than 12 elite clubs at the top lining their own pockets to the detriment of the rest of the sport.

As sickening as it is for me to say, if RL in this country had been run in the way Leeds Rhinos has been for the last 20 years, the sport would be far stronger.

Of the 10 clubs who voted for the change, how many are actually making a profit? Increasing their crowds? Adding to the home grown talent pool?

And he's rounded on Chalmers because he's a dissenting voice to the "SL should be in charge" argument and is also in charge of the largest club outside of SL.
To be the man.... I forget how the rest of that goes
Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:48 pm
Posted by dddooommm on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:48 pm
dddooommm User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

roofaldo2 wrote:
As sickening as it is for me to say, if RL in this country had been run in the way Leeds Rhinos has been for the last 20 years, the sport would be far stronger.

Completely agree. They've run their business the correct way since the inception of Super League.
BullBuidler - Bradford Bulls Supporters Trust
www.bullbuilder.co.uk
Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:52 pm
Posted by Ornery Optimist on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:52 pm
Ornery Optimist User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Mr Chalmers has discussed the 'grass roots' and the 'best interest of the game',albeit in another country,as far back as 2007.

Long before Hudgell got involved.He also has some qualifications.

Interesting interview,among others, HERE
Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:13 pm
Posted by paulwalker71 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:13 pm
paulwalker71 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 77,033

It's nauseating the way that Hudgell always talks as if he is a fully established member of the SL elite.

12 months ago he was in the Championship - and Derek Beaumont was sitting in his seat

And in a few months, he might be the chairman of a Championship club again...
Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:31 pm
Posted by Bent&Bongser on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:31 pm
Bent&Bongser User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 9
Rep Position: 26th / 77,033

paulwalker71 wrote:
It's nauseating the way that Hudgell always talks as if he is a fully established member of the SL elite.

12 months ago he was in the Championship - and Derek Beaumont was sitting in his seat

It's squeaky bum time already for Leigh to get Derek's bum back in that seat, at least for 2019.

Would be quite interesting though to see Hudgell sitting next to his "constant irritant" at the "lower table". If there's a punch up, Chalmers should have it streamed for all! But only if certain Cumbrians agree. :wink:
Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:43 pm
Posted by Mild Rover on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:43 pm
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,033

Hi. I read the article this afternoon, and I was interested to see the reaction.

Just to note a couple of things...

Ornery Optimist wrote:
Mr Chalmers has discussed the 'grass roots' and the 'best interest of the game',albeit in another country,as far back as 2007.

Long before Hudgell got involved.He also has some qualifications.

Interesting interview,among others, HERE

Hudgell took over as Rovers’ chairman in 2005.

paulwalker71 wrote:

Apologies if you’re joking and I’m being dim, but he specifically makes that point in the article. ‘I was in the Championship last year and I could be back there at the end of this’
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:47 pm
Posted by paulwalker71 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:47 pm
paulwalker71 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 77,033

Mild Rover wrote:
He specifically makes that point in the article. ‘I was in the Championship last year and I might be again at the end of this’

No, apologies are due from me, I glossed over that bit. And I was coloured by watching him on Back Chat a few weeks ago when he seemed to have the attitude that he was a member of the elite.

The point is basically still valid though. And it is this: why should 12 club chairman decide the future of the game when several of them might not be in a position to make that decision in a few months?

That said, I don't Andrew Chalmers has covered himself in glory with some of his comments and - perhaps more so - the way in which he expresses them
Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:59 pm
Posted by Mild Rover on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:59 pm
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,033

paulwalker71 wrote:
No, apologies are due from me, I glossed over that bit. And I was coloured by watching him on Back Chat a few weeks ago when he seemed to have the attitude that he was a member of the elite.

The point is basically still valid though. And it is this: why should 12 club chairman decide the future of the game when several of them might not be in a position to make that decision in a few months?

That said, I don't Andrew Chalmers has covered himself in glory with some of his comments and - perhaps more so - the way in which he expresses them

I broadly agree, and ideally we’d have a whole sport solution with wide buy in. I find the current divisions pretty concerning.

I don’t know much about Chalmers, so I was curious to see whether he was popular with you guys. Do you feel like he is getting your club back on the right track?
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 am
Posted by Ornery Optimist on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 am
Ornery Optimist User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Mild Rover wrote:
Hi. I read the article this afternoon, and I was interested to see the reaction.

Just to note a couple of things...

Hudgell took over as Rovers’ chairman in 2005.

It may have been the year earlier,actually.

It was about that time Chalmers was a board member on the New Zealand rugby league and was elected chairman

in 2007 - and a member of the RLIF.Before He Swallowed A Dictionary And Learned Business Speak
Next