WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Quality of camera work on live games.

Board index Championship Bradford Bulls - RedAmberandBlack.net Quality of camera work on live games.

Quality of camera work on live games.
Post Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 pm
Posted by woolly07 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 pm
woolly07 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Full credit to Proper Sport for showing the games but I feel frustrated when I watch.
I didn't go today so I am grateful to be able to see it but there are a couple of things that are really frustrating me now when I watch the games.
I was on holiday when we last played at home so tried to watch the video on YouTube a few days after. I stopped watching when after about the first 4 tries they had all been shown from ground level behind the post. Yes this may seem a clever thing to do but I saw nothing of the build up apart from lots of moving bodies then someone runs through and scores. I switched off at about 30 mins mark very frustrated as I do like to see the build up along lines and through hands.

Today, I was sick and tired of the constant zooming in and out. I timed it at one stage at about every 15 seconds. The zoomed in image was poor (out of focus) and you can't see the two lines of players as it is too close. In out, in out like a Casanovas wotsit.

Please, I am not trying to complain about a great free service from people doing a good job but just because you can do something it doesn't mean you have to.
Some simple advice to Mick if he can pass this on to the camera man and editor is just show a good wider angle and smoothly follow the ball so we can see the player with the ball, the two lines of players and the position on the field all in the one shot. One camera is enough set to a shot width that duplicates being stood on the terrace not far back - a natural view.

Again, well done the team that do this but just watch today's game exactly as it went out and take note of the constant zooming and the poor quality. Take this point in the manner it was meant and keep up the good work - but tweek it a bit for the better.
Posted by Nothus on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:34 am
Nothus User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,307

I know what you mean, and it annoys me too, but for a free service it's hard to moan too much.
Certainly something for them to consider if they do have plans to move towards it being a paid for service though.
Re: Quality of camera work on live games.
Post Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am
Posted by Pumpetypump on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Quiz Score: 320

Yes the random zooming in at times when I want a wide perspective are irritating. But the way I see it is that if someone buys me a steak I won't complain if it's medium rather than medium rare.
Post Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 am
Posted by Blotto on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 am
Blotto User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: 2.5 hrs North of Newcastle. 8 hrs South of Brisbane
If both Clubs have the recorded video for their post match reviews and then in the Bulls case shown on Bulls TV , I'm sure something will be said.

I have noticed that the cameras, especially the behind the sticks one is so slow to adjust focus it must be done manually, same with contrast adjustments as well.

It could be the cameramen are not used to using the equipment during live action sports game as opposed to doing weddings etc!

Then the audio levels during commentary are inconsistent when going from Gledders to Keyes or when Mick gets overexcited, occasionally when the mics drop out and the background mic is all you can hear the game seems to flow better :WHISTLE:
The phrase politically correct is in itself politcally incorrect so should be rephrased politically stupid!

If you like old type radio comedy/ dramas etc listen to //pumpkinfm.com/

Statistically speaking you have a better chance of getting dead the older you get!
Posted by Ferocious Aardvark on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 am
Ferocious Aardvark User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 21
Rep Position: 14th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 268

I'm not sure any of this needs to be pointed out, I assume that the professionals producing the show will know fqr better than us about the issues and what to do to fix them. As for the audio, in the interview at the end, it looked like Mick and Chris were sharing Mick's mike, and Chris (and Keyesy) obviously don't know the angle and distance they need to hold the mike at, so a lot of the time are inaudible. Surely someone has picked up on this? They must have a sound guy!
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total
Posted by vbfg on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:19 pm
vbfg User avatar
Neither a moderator nor an admin be
Neither a moderator nor an admin be

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,307

Sounds like Steve Rider era Grandstand.

And now back to Rob Bonnet in the studio. Rob.
When my club didn't exist it was still bigger than yours
Posted by Blotto on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 am
Blotto User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: 2.5 hrs North of Newcastle. 8 hrs South of Brisbane
After watching the full match on Bulls TV there wasn't any sign of the issues mentioned originally so if Bulls were using the same camera feed for recording to re-transmit it seems strange, the only problems were the audio levels again were inconsistent, and that needs fixing!
I noticed Micks hand shaking when interviewing JK post match I hope it was the cold and not a sign of Parkinsons!
The phrase politically correct is in itself politcally incorrect so should be rephrased politically stupid!

If you like old type radio comedy/ dramas etc listen to //pumpkinfm.com/

Statistically speaking you have a better chance of getting dead the older you get!
Post Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 am
Posted by Fr13daY on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 am
Fr13daY User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Blotto wrote:
After watching the full match on Bulls TV there wasn't any sign of the issues mentioned originally so if Bulls were using the same camera feed for recording to re-transmit it seems strange, the only problems were the audio levels again were inconsistent, and that needs fixing!
I noticed Micks hand shaking when interviewing JK post match I hope it was the cold and not a sign of Parkinsons!

I'm sure it was just nerves.

I'm mean, who wouldn't be a little starstruck when meeting Mick....
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on.
Posted by MicktheGled on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:54 pm
MicktheGled User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Blotto wrote:

I foolishly decided to wear shorts, so I think I can dispel any claims of parkinsons, Dennis.

Re: the inconsistency regarding the audio levels - John Keyes is naturally quiet, where as I’m the complete polar opposite. At this moment in time we are limited with what we can use to monitor this problem as the microphones are directly plugged into the cameras.
Posted by jackmac452 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:46 am
jackmac452 User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

I think you do a marvelous job mick, I really appreciate the excitement you instill in your commentates..and Mr Keyes also does an excellent job as well. As per the places in the comments that the people say they are from, you can see a lot of people have come to depend on the showing of the games. My one question which you may be able to answer is, now the Women's game has got going, why has the videoing of the matches dropped to basically nil now? I have watched most of them and they do generate plenty of action and are good to watch. Are there plans to start videoing the games again please? (Plus, which mobile phone did you video with at the last womens game at Odsal? ) :) :)
"I am Me, I am Free" "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi...."Its not who Votes that count, It's who counts the Votes"
Next