WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Geoff Toovey - yes or no for next season
Geoff Toovey - yes or no for next season
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:24 pm
paulwalker71 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Yes, I know we have a thread about next season, but I thought this deserved something on its own

I see that Toovey has admitted that he was only ever for this season and hasn't yet committed or decided anything for 2018. It might not be his decision - who knows?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/ru ... -1-8690976

So do you think that, given that there appears to be a choice in the matter, he should be offered a deal to keep him here for next season?
Re: Geoff Toovey - yes or no for next season
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:40 pm
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Yes.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:48 pm
Bull Mania User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Yes. If we are to rebuild we need some sort of stability and consistency. Let him have a pre-season with them and lets go. I think the lack of pre-season has been the big reason we've picked up so many injuries.
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:57 pm
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Agreed.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:58 pm
paulwalker71 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I'd be surprised if he's here next year. His interview in my OP doesn't exactly scream 'sign me up' to Chalmers does it?

Personally I'd be happier with a coach who knows this level. Just look at how well Dewsbury have done when they went a got Neil Kelly - a coach who really understands this level of rugby, and their performances from that point have been far better. Remember, they were on zero points until he arrived!

As a bit of a left field choice, I'd like to see us consider Lee Greenwood from Gloucester All Golds. He's already said he's leaving them at the end of the season as he want a club closer to home. Is home somewhere like Halifax? I know he played for Halifax? He seems like a hungry, ambitious, articulate coach who did a very good job at Gloucester with no money, and refused to go down the Dual-Reg route, preferring to develop local talent.

I know it may seem odd to ditch Geoff 'I used to coach Manly' Toovey in favour of a guy who has only ever coached a development team. But, be honest, what does Toovey know about League One?
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:08 pm
ifallwerelikemumby Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

I`m undecided, I know he has been left with a bunch of players nobody wanted, untried academy prospects and loanees, but the lack of planned moves in the opposition`s quarter in an effort to get over the line for me is really disappointing. Who do we blame the coaching staff or the players lack of ability? As Paul says maybe we need a coach who understands this level.
PS maybe some players as well!!!
Beer is the root of all my problems, ironically it solves them too Homer

Simpson that is
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:12 pm
tttiger Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

dont think toovey will at bulls next year if the club is in indeed in league 1.
Agree the bulls could do worse than look at one of the coaches who have served their time in league 1 the outpost clubs have been beating some of the so called bigger teams in league 1 this year and greenwood at all golds is a decent shout .rumford at Oxford has done a sound job and has a record of developing players. Its well known these coaches have no money to spend on recruitment so would be interesting to see what they could do at a club with some resources Gary thornton is also vastly experienced at the level and I understand was only at the hawks for the rest of the current year
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 pm
Bull Mania User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

paulwalker71 wrote:
I'd be surprised if he's here next year. His interview in my OP doesn't exactly scream 'sign me up' to Chalmers does it?

Personally I'd be happier with a coach who knows this level. Just look at how well Dewsbury have done when they went a got Neil Kelly - a coach who really understands this level of rugby, and their performances from that point have been far better. Remember, they were on zero points until he arrived!

As a bit of a left field choice, I'd like to see us consider Lee Greenwood from Gloucester All Golds. He's already said he's leaving them at the end of the season as he want a club closer to home. Is home somewhere like Halifax? I know he played for Halifax? He seems like a hungry, ambitious, articulate coach who did a very good job at Gloucester with no money, and refused to go down the Dual-Reg route, preferring to develop local talent.

I know it may seem odd to ditch Geoff 'I used to coach Manly' Toovey in favour of a guy who has only ever coached a development team. But, be honest, what does Toovey know about League One?

If Toovey does goee Greenwood would be a perfect choice. Done wonders at Gloucester
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:24 pm
Stul Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

It's not as simple as yes or no. It's yes or someone else and we need to know who that would be.
Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:53 pm
Bulliac User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

I've said before that I'm not exactly enamoured with Toovey.

Great player as he was, there is absolutely nothing in his record to suggest he is what we need at Odsal. He won one championship in Aussie, with the team of stars that he'd played with the previous year, then as the team got too old and fell apart he did nothing to bring in or improve players to take on the mantle. We need a Peter Fox or a John Keir type, not an Aussie superstar - someone who can get players to play above themselves.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls
Next