WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 23 | Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com RD 23 | Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos

Wigan
Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:12 am
Posted by Joshheff90 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:12 am
Joshheff90 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

WIth second place confirmed going into the 8s, do people think it'd be wise to rest players vs Wigan with one eye on the CC semi final. Or is it worth putting a strong squad out to keep momentum and get another two points which will help us in the 8s.

Having said that we might not have much choice with the new injuries added to the list.
Re: RD 22 | Leeds Rhinos v Hull FC
Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:21 am
Posted by Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:21 am
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Theres 2 points up for grabs and a chance to kick Wigan where it hurts. Its a Fri night game and semi us following Sat so plenty of recovery time. I cant understand the resting players mentality.

The most important game is the next one.
RD 23 | Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos
Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:38 am
Posted by Frosties. on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:38 am
Frosties. 100% League Network
100% League Network

With second place sealed for the Super Eights, I would definitely look at resting a few of the lads with an eye on the semi final.

Galloway out, Ward & Hall facing concussion tests through the week. Ferres, Sutcliffe, Burrow, Delaney all out with injuries, I would call back Oledzki & Smith from the Bulls & Baldwinson & Ormondroyd from duel registration. There

Walker
Golding Keinhorst Watkins Briscoe
Mcguire Moon
Singleton Parcell Garbutt
JJB Ablett
Cuthbertson

Mullally Baldwinson Oledzki Ormondroyd / Smith / A Sutcliffe.

Besides looking at the fixtures on the super eight fixtures thread, we could afford to lose v Wigan and get a better run in in the eights.
Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 am
Posted by PrinterThe on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 am
PrinterThe Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Can't really see much room for manoeuvre wrt to team selection next week. Watkins will come back in that'll free Ward up to return to the forwards (McDermott said he should be ok to go for next week despite failing his head test last night). Shouldn't go with both Lilley and Walker on the bench again so either one has to be dropped or you could even give Moon a well earned week off before the SF I suppose. Personally I'd go as strong as possible, cementing a gap in 2nd spot will be handy especially if we reach Wembley as we've seen that we struggle the weeks after so a 6pts+ gap would be good.

Golding
Briscoe
Watkins
Keinhorst
Hall
McGuire
Moon (Lilley)
Cuthbertson
Parcell
Singleton
Ward
Ablett
JJB

Garbutt
Mullally
Lilley (Walker)
Ormondroyd/Baldwinson
Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:14 am
Posted by rugbyleague88 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:14 am
rugbyleague88 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Walker must play ahead of Golding at full back everytime. I'm not against Golding replacing Briscoe though: he might need to replace Hall next week though!
Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:40 am
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:40 am
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
Theres 2 points up for grabs and a chance to kick Wigan where it hurts. Its a Fri night game and semi us following Sat so plenty of recovery time. I cant understand the resting players mentality.

The most important game is the next one.

I agree, play our strongest possible line up and go all out to win the game. I would much rather play Wakefield or Salford in the playoffs, we don't need to be gifting Wigan 2 league points.
Re: RD 23 | Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos
Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:04 pm
Posted by TheSnowmonkey on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:04 pm
TheSnowmonkey User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

It is important to keep up the winning mentality ,therefore play the strongest team possible.
Re: RD 23 | Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos
Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:25 pm
Posted by PrinterThe on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:25 pm
PrinterThe Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I'd go as strong as possible too, Wigan have had first choice guys return lately but perhaps understandably haven't immediately clicked into gear performance wise even if they did pick up some wins against lowly opposition so a much better opportunity to pick up a win there than if we go there in the 8's with potential different form from Wigan.

Let's not forget Wigan have a SF too the next week so they'll have an eye on that also and perhaps even more so if they think their playoffs chances are slim after Thursdays defeat.

Likewise Hull should really be going as strong as possible regardless of the SF given their current position and form they could really do with the 2 points vs Hudds.
Posted by Fieldheadrhino on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:35 pm
Fieldheadrhino User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

It's a important game next week.

A win against Wigan will make even more difficult for them to reach the PO semis plus it's equally important to build & keep the momentum going.
RHINOS TILL I DIE
“Tough times come and go, tough people last forever"
Posted by Clearwing on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:55 pm
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Wane'll be whipping em this week after their showing against wire. One where we need to hit them harder than they hit us IMO. Keeping them out of the play off berths might pay dividends in due course.
"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)
Next