WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rugby League in the world news.

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Rugby League in the world news.

 

Rugby League in the world news.

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:00 am
johnm1 Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 13
Rugby League this week has been like a conveyor belt for success stories in the worlds media!

The two biggest stories are obviously Jarryd Hayne and his 53 yard rush and Sam Burgess and his big defence.

Think it's about time our sport got noticed on wider scale not just when players leave and it turns into a media frenzy!!?

What are the RFL doing so wrong????

Re: Rugby League in the world news.

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:34 am
Andy Gilder User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:32 am
Posts: 28186
Location: A world of my own ...
They're not.

Rugby league is not going to get the same media attention as the NFL does in the US or international rugby union does in the UK because it simply doesn't have the participation base, the supporter base or the subsequent media coverage that generates. TV stations, newspapers and online portals will only cover what they think people want to read about, and rugby league isn't it.

When there are teams running around in the third tier of football who draw crowds bigger than the current SL leaders and Challenge Cup holders, you can't really blame them.
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin

//twitter.com/AndyGilder

//fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk

This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC

Re: Rugby League in the world news.

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:04 am
Fetlar User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:16 am
Posts: 549
Andy Gilder wrote:
They're not.

Rugby league is not going to get the same media attention as the NFL does in the US or international rugby union does in the UK because it simply doesn't have the participation base, the supporter base or the subsequent media coverage that generates. TV stations, newspapers and online portals will only cover what they think people want to read about, and rugby league isn't it.

When there are teams running around in the third tier of football who draw crowds bigger than the current SL leaders and Challenge Cup holders, you can't really blame them.


That suggests media exposure is a meritocracy. It hasn't been historically: there have been active interventions by the ruling class to disrupt the sport's development and restrict the exposure of RL, or to annihilate the sport all together (in France).

Hopefully the global, relatively classless, new media will create a more level playing field.
"He's the best coach I've had... His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none. Since Brian Mac has been in charge, we've been in every final so far. I love playing for him. I can't praise him enough, I've so much respect for him and I hope he's here for a very long time." Kevin Sinfield 29/9/12

Re: Rugby League in the world news.

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:35 am
Andy Gilder User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:32 am
Posts: 28186
Location: A world of my own ...
Fetlar wrote:
That suggests media exposure is a meritocracy. It hasn't been historically: there have been active interventions by the ruling class to disrupt the sport's development and restrict the exposure of RL, or to annihilate the sport all together (in France).

Hopefully the global, relatively classless, new media will create a more level playing field.


It's not a meritocracy, it's a business decision. Newspapers print what they think will sell. Online media - entirely reliant on advertising - publishes what it thinks will generate the most hits so it can sell space at a premium on its websites.

So it becomes a perpetual cycle of popularity begetting coverage which begets more popularity. Unless and until RL can regularly generate 65,000 crowds for international friendlies for example it will always sit behind Union in the eyes of the media.
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin

//twitter.com/AndyGilder

//fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk

This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC

Re: Rugby League in the world news.

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:45 am
johnm1 Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 13
I do agree with what your saying Andy, but I think the RFL could do more or even something completely different to whatever they have been doing, It isn't moving our game forward quick enough. I understand it's a business and they need to make money but something needs to happen or we will end up getting eclipsed.

Dr K is a berk but at least some of his better ideas that are outside the box could shake things up, it needs a smarter more experienced RL version of himself at the helm of the RFL that see's whatever is happening at the minute isn't good enough.

Re: Rugby League in the world news.

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:45 am
Fetlar User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:16 am
Posts: 549
Andy Gilder wrote:
It's not a meritocracy, it's a business decision. Newspapers print what they think will sell. Online media - entirely reliant on advertising - publishes what it thinks will generate the most hits so it can sell space at a premium on its websites.

So it becomes a perpetual cycle of popularity begetting coverage which begets more popularity. Unless and until RL can regularly generate 65,000 crowds for international friendlies for example it will always sit behind Union in the eyes of the media.


I agree a sport's popularity is actively prescribed by the media rather than caused by merit.

The shoddy treatment of RL by the non-business called the BBC historically suggests that it's entirely ideological rather than business driven. The grammar school set in charge (epitomised by John Inverdale) despised us, and promoted the inferior Union product thereby begetting the popularity you describe.
"He's the best coach I've had... His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none. Since Brian Mac has been in charge, we've been in every final so far. I love playing for him. I can't praise him enough, I've so much respect for him and I hope he's here for a very long time." Kevin Sinfield 29/9/12

Re: Rugby League in the world news.

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:00 pm
lionarmour87 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 5860
Location: philadelphia PA
johnm1 wrote:
Rugby League this week has been like a conveyor belt for success stories in the worlds media!

The two biggest stories are obviously Jarryd Hayne and his 53 yard rush and Sam Burgess and his big defence.

Think it's about time our sport got noticed on wider scale not just when players leave and it turns into a media frenzy!!?

What are the RFL doing so wrong????

Oh I always wondered what the term rushing meant even though I live over here .Thanks
Soon we will be dancing the Fandango




FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK

Re: Rugby League in the world news.

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:48 pm
Fallon Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:01 pm
Posts: 1429
Don't forget, ours is a sport that sold the sponsorship of its top league for some painted lorries.

You want to know why we don't get coverage, look inside the sport not outside.

Re: Rugby League in the world news.

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:20 pm
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:47 am
Posts: 13827
Location: Campaigning for a deep attacking line
Fallon wrote:
Don't forget, ours is a sport that sold the sponsorship of its top league for some painted lorries.

You want to know why we don't get coverage, look inside the sport not outside.

It's a mix of both.

The media that tell people what to go and see is all based in London and run by ex public school boys.
The major companies that sponsor and invest in sports are all based in London and run by ex public school boys.

Now that wouldn't necessarily be a problem (other than my utter disdain for the private school system) but unfortunately because they're ex public school boys (or generally come from that kind of world) they've been born, brought up and live in a world where Rugby League isn't relevant and so they don't report it or invest in it.

Unfortunately that is a vicious circle. The less RL is reported in the media the less relevant it becomes and so the less it's reported.
It's not all of RL's doing, just because RL happens in a different world to these "elite" doesn't absolve them of their responsibility to report on RL. It's why London (relevant) gets 24 times higher transport spending than the North (not relevant).

Where it is our fault is that we've not done enough to make ourselves relevant. We didn't get the international game sorted and are suffering from that now. And we persisted with the same old teams in the same old areas without realising the bigger picture. The likes of Sheffield & Newcastle should be receiving extra help from the RFL to expand the borders of our games as should London in the past.
Plus the retreat of the international game from Wembley to the KC/DW/John Smith's stadiums was a disaster.

BUT, it's not all our fault. Unfortunately, due to our unequal and imbalanced society, we aren't relevant to the right people.

Re: Rugby League in the world news.

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:42 am
Fallon Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:01 pm
Posts: 1429
I really dislike this "it's their faul" mentality.

If you want something to happen then make it happen. All this griping about public school boys is rather pathetic.

Our sport is a minority because like it or not it is a northern sport and always has been. Over the last 100 years what in roads have been made?
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Barrett was robbed, Biff Tannen, D4mo78, Dadsylad, Gotcha, LeedsDave, lionarmour87, Marty Grrrrrrrrrr!, rodhutch, rollin thunder, The Magic Rat and 165 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com



POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD (DATE)YOUR TEAM
4,572,6641,75475,9964,491 (28-03-2016)SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
  Thu : 20:00
SL
ST. HELENS
v
WIGAN  
  Fri : 10:50
NRL
SOUTHS
v
PARRAMATTA  
  Fri : 20:00
SL
SALFORD
v
CATALANS  
  Fri : 20:00
SL
LEEDS
v
WARRINGTON  
  Fri : 20:00
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIDNES  
  Fri : 20:00
SL
HULL FC
v
LEIGH  
 > Fri : 20:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HUDDERSFIELD < 
  Sat : 08:30
NRL
NZ WARRIORS
v
BRISBANE  
  Sat : 10:30
NRL
CRONULLA
v
CANTERBURY  
  Sat : 13:00
CH
FEATHERSTONE
v
LONDON  
  Sat : 15:00
CH
OLDHAM
v
ROCHDALE  
  Sat : 17:00
CH
BRADFORD
v
HULL KR  
  Sun : 07:00
NRL
CANBERRA
v
SYDNEY  
  Sun : 12:00
CH
TOULOUSE
v
HALIFAX  
  Sun : 14:00
CH
SWINTON
v
SHEFFIELD  
  Sun : 16:00
CH
BATLEY
v
DEWSBURY  
  Mon : 15:00
SL
LEIGH
v
CASTLEFORD  
  Mon : 15:00
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
ST. HELENS  
  Mon : 15:00
SL
WIDNES
v
LEEDS  
 > Mon : 15:00
SL
WIGAN
v
WAKEFIELD < 
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM