WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rugby League & Real Ale....Pete's perfect pubs.

Board index Kingstone Press Championship Halifax - FaxFans.co.uk Rugby League & Real Ale....Pete's perfect pubs.

Rugby League & Real Ale....Pete's perfect pubs.

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:21 pm
Hudd-Shay User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

This season, for those who are interested, I will be posting a mini crawl of real ale pubs for Fax away days. This will usually consist of a Wetherspoons (W) a real ale gem (RA) and a National Inventory pub (NI) which is a listed pub with an interior unchanged since 1939. As a taster :CHEERS: I will do a Halifax one for this weekend. Opposite Halifax bus station is The Percy Shaw (W) a new build with a good choice of real ales and good food. Towards The Shay on Powell Sreet you will find The Victorian Café Bar (RA). A great addition to Fax's supping scene where you will find some rarer ales at slightly inflated prices, but this does have the advantage of keeping the local scroats out. Not to be missed, a gem! Onto The Shay now where you will find The Three Pigeons (NI) one of the best Art Deco pubs left in England. A great selection of beers available in here and the perfect place for a pre/post match pint. Enjoy your ale, enjoy the match. Up The Fax! :thumb:
Hear All, See All, Say Nowt.
Eat All, Sup All, Pay Nowt.
And if Tha ever does Owt for Nowt,
Allus do it for Thissen.

Re: Rugby League & Real Ale....Pete's perfect pubs.

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:05 pm
charlie caroli User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Hudd-Shay wrote:
This season, for those who are interested, I will be posting a mini crawl of real ale pubs for Fax away days. This will usually consist of a Wetherspoons (W) a real ale gem (RA) and a National Inventory pub (NI) which is a listed pub with an interior unchanged since 1939. As a taster :CHEERS: I will do a Halifax one for this weekend. Opposite Halifax bus station is The Percy Shaw (W) a new build with a good choice of real ales and good food. Towards The Shay on Powell Sreet you will find The Victorian Café Bar (RA). A great addition to Fax's supping scene where you will find some rarer ales at slightly inflated prices, but this does have the advantage of keeping the local scroats out. Not to be missed, a gem! Onto The Shay now where you will find The Three Pigeons (NI) one of the best Art Deco pubs left in England. A great selection of beers available in here and the perfect place for a pre/post match pint. Enjoy your ale, enjoy the match. Up The Fax! :thumb:

Pete it's a pity we don't play Wigan in the season, the Wigan Carolis have just bought The Crown a Pub in Goose Green Wigan,it a bigger version of the 3 Pigeons.

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:12 pm
Faxlore User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

A great idea Hudd-Shay. I will look forward to reading your guide as a confirmed ale drinker. If you know lots and lots of boozers may be a book! 'The Real Ale Drinkers to Rugby League Grounds.'

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:20 pm
halifaxjohn User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Hudd-Shay wrote:

Whilst it doesn't interest me I have to say what a good idea.
:CLAP:
And Behold, a pale horse. And on his back his name was death.

The weekend starts on a Monday.

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:56 pm
Hudd-Shay User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Faxlore wrote:
A great idea Hudd-Shay. I will look forward to reading your guide as a confirmed ale drinker. If you know lots and lots of boozers may be a book! 'The Real Ale Drinkers to Rugby League Grounds.'

Aye, Huddshay junior also suggested that. :IDEA:
Allus do it for Thissen.

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:39 pm
Fax4Life User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Hudd-Shay wrote:

You have missed out the GunDog (formerly Sportsman) decent beer and decent boozer, the Ring O' Bells and the Shears all worth a visit.

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:00 am
Higgin34 Stevo's Armpit

Great idea although The Percy Shaw always reminds me of an airport waiting lounge but cheaper.

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 am
Hudd-Shay User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Fax4Life wrote:
You have missed out the GunDog (formerly Sportsman) decent beer and decent boozer, the Ring O' Bells and the Shears all worth a visit.

Aye, there's also Dirty Dicks and Barum Top but the idea is to give a taster of the local areas top boozers and people could also go onto other pubs as and when it suits. I will try to include pubs of differing styles so there is something for everyone. The one common theme will be the availability of a great pint of real ale. :thumb:
Allus do it for Thissen.

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:07 pm
bentleyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

You & Wanderer on the Dons website should get together see you Sunday :DRUNK:

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:36 pm
prince abdula Stevo's Armpit

well done hudd shay good idea with games mostly on sundays it won,t afect your AA meetings you have to go to :DRUNK:
Next