Salary Cap
Post Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 am
Posted by mattsrhinos1978 on Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 am
mattsrhinos1978 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 413
Rep Position: 106th / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

With the news that theres serious discussion about reducing the salary cap next season, how do we all feel that Leeds, arguably the biggest club in the country, are reported to be one of the clubs in favour of the reduction? Got to be honest, im massively disappointed in the club that we'r in favour of it.
Re: Salary Cap
Post Tue May 19, 2020 11:46 am
Posted by Les Norton on Tue May 19, 2020 11:46 am
Les Norton User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 134
Rep Position: 258th / 78,111

Warrington reportedly announcing the signing of Greg Inglis tomorrow when they already have Widdop and Austin as marquee
Post Tue May 19, 2020 11:53 am
Posted by Charlie Sheen on Tue May 19, 2020 11:53 am
Charlie Sheen User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 915
Rep Position: 25th / 78,111

Well, the pay cut the players have taken also there's a lot of the room on the cap as it stands, so it doesn't surprise me.
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.
Post Tue May 19, 2020 12:19 pm
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Tue May 19, 2020 12:19 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1020
Rep Position: 16th / 78,111

We have just spent tens of millions developing Headingley only for our income to totally disappear. While I don’t want the salary cap to reduce, as so too would the quality of players in Super League, it’s understandable why Hetherington does. Balancing the books is going to be an impossible task over the next few years.
Post Tue May 19, 2020 12:23 pm
Posted by bramleyrhino on Tue May 19, 2020 12:23 pm
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 321
Rep Position: 142nd / 78,111

It's incredibly disapointing. The players have already carried far too much of the burden for the game's poor commercial performance in the last 20 years (something that Hetherington has himself called out) and whilst it's no suprise to see some club owners and chairman expecting them to carry even more, it's disapointing to see Leeds being one of them. The salary cap is around £1m less in real-terms than it was in 2000, and that's pretty shameful even before you consider any attempt to cut it further.

Hetherington has generally voted against rising the cap in the past as he felt Leeds had a competitive advantage - at the time the club had been very good at developing a lot of first-team ready young players who could fill the squad cheaply. Crucially, unlike the likes of Wigan, they were even better at convincing those players to stay. Whether it was down to culture or some other reason, Leeds have retained their top talent in a way that Wigan seemingly couldn't, and Hetherington used the salary cap to press home that advantage.

I can understand that logic from a competitive perspective, even if I can disagree with it from the point of view that the sport should generally be looking after the players better than it is. But even from the competitive perspective, the case for voting along similar lines today seems to make less sense. Yes there is a good set of young players at Headingley, but nothing that I doubt other top clubs could replicate and certainly nothing like the class of 2002-03.

If Hetherington is worried about the sustainability of the business post-COVID and the recession that is going to follow, then cut the cloth accordingly - Leeds can do that without imposing similar cuts on those who may be able to maintain their current level of spending. However, it isn't a good look for either the club or the sport for it's most commercially successful club and the club that has been most successful in the summer era to support this sort of proposal.
Last edited by bramleyrhino on Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.
Post Tue May 19, 2020 12:36 pm
Posted by mattsrhinos1978 on Tue May 19, 2020 12:36 pm
Cheeky half-back

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
We have just spent tens of millions developing Headingley only for our income to totally disappear. While I don’t want the salary cap to reduce, as so too would the quality of players in Super League, it’s understandable why Hetherington does. Balancing the books is going to be an impossible task over the next few years.

Its not just a case of Leeds finances though, if Leeds only want to pay 1.8m they can, why vote to stop others paying 2.1m if they want to, its extremely self serving imo and its only the players and fans who lose out.

If Warringtons Multi millionaire owner wants to put enough money in to enable them to pay 2.1m but our multi millionaire owner dosnt, why should Warringtons be prevented from doing so? They could both afford to if they chose to.
Post Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm
Posted by mattsrhinos1978 on Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm
Cheeky half-back

bramleyrhino wrote:
It's incredibly disapointing. The players have already carried far too much of the burden for the game's poor commercial performance in the last 20 years (something that Hetherington has himself called out) and whilst it's no suprise to see some club owners and chairman expecting them to carry even more, it's disapointing to see Leeds being one of them. The salary cap is around £1m less in real-terms than it was in 2000, and that's pretty shameful even before you consider any attempt to cut it further.

Hetherington has generally voted against rising the cap in the past as he felt Leeds had a competitive advantage - at the time the club has been very good at developing a lot of first-team ready young players who could fill the squad cheaply. Crucially, unlike the likes of Wigan, they were even better at convincing those players to stay. Whether it was down to culture or some other reason, Leeds have retained their top talent in a way that Wigan seemingly couldn't, and Hetherington used the salary cap to press home that advantage.

I can understand that logic from a competitive perspective, even if I can disagree with it from the point of view that the sport should generally be looking after the players better than it is. But even from the competitive perspective, the case for voting along similar lines seems to make less sense. Yes there is a good set of young players at Headingley, but nothing that I doubt other top clubs could replicate and certainly nothing like the class of 2002-03.

If Hetherington is worried about the sustainability of the business post-COVID and the recession that is going to follow, then cut the cloth accordingly - Leeds can do that without imposing similar cuts on those who may be able to maintain their current level of spending. However, it isn't a good look for either the club or the sport for it's most commercially successful club and the club that has been most successful in the summer era to support this sort of proposal.

Agree 100%
Post Tue May 19, 2020 12:50 pm
Posted by bramleyrhino on Tue May 19, 2020 12:50 pm
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

mattsrhinos1978 wrote:
Its not just a case of Leeds finances though, if Leeds only want to pay 1.8m they can, why vote to stop others paying 2.1m if they want to, its extremely self serving imo and its only the players and fans who lose out.

If Warringtons Multi millionaire owner wants to put enough money in to enable them to pay 2.1m but our multi millionaire owner dosnt, why should Warringtons be prevented from doing so? They could both afford to if they chose to.

Exactly.

If Leeds, or any other club, can't afford to spend to the full salary cap, that is their problem to fix.

It isn't right to make their problem everybody else's problem.
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Post Tue May 19, 2020 1:38 pm
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Tue May 19, 2020 1:38 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1020
Rep Position: 16th / 78,111

bramleyrhino wrote:
Exactly.

If Leeds, or any other club, can't afford to spend to the full salary cap, that is their problem to fix.

It isn't right to make their problem everybody else's problem.

Leeds fans demand we challenge for trophies every year
Post Tue May 19, 2020 2:02 pm
Posted by bramleyrhino on Tue May 19, 2020 2:02 pm
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
Leeds fans demand we challenge for trophies every year

That's not really relevant. It certainly doesn't give Leeds a right to try and keep a leash on those clubs that can sustainably out-spend them at any given point in time.

Leeds should be winning trophies because they're raising the standards, not by being complicit in lowering them.

Next