WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - SL RD 28 | Salford Red Devils (H)

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com SL RD 28 | Salford Red Devils (H)

Re: SL RD 28 | Salford Red Devils (H)
Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 pm
Posted by KaeruJim on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 pm
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 769
Rep Position: 13th / 77,858

Quiz Score: 0

The problem is the way the production line faltered for years in the middle. We’ve had it working much better again for a few years now, but it takes a long time to filter through.

Then again you’ll always have peaks and troughs of talent even with a good development system.
Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:57 am
Posted by Fallon on Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:57 am
Fallon Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 176
Rep Position: 149th / 77,858

KaeruJim wrote:
The problem is the way the production line faltered for years in the middle. We’ve had it working much better again for a few years now, but it takes a long time to filter through.

Then again you’ll always have peaks and troughs of talent even with a good development system.

I don't think it did falter though Jim.

For a decade we had a squad made up of a huge number of players that came through our academy who were top players, most of which became internationals. We were still producing good players they were just not good enough to get past the academy products we already had in the first team. It's very hard to have a sinfield and mags and then produce two players that are even better.
Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:45 am
Posted by KaeruJim on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:45 am
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 769
Rep Position: 13th / 77,858

I agree with that to an extent mate, but can you name me any real success stories since Sutcliffe and Handley until Oledzki/Smith/Walker?

For whatever reason there is a 3-4 (at least) gap from the Academy in terms of successful first team players produced.

Whether it’s just availability of talent, the quality of coaching at the time, the competition getting their act together and beating us to the talent or whatever... it’s about QED by looking at the first team quad now IMO.

Honesty it looks like the club failed to tool up the 3 years BEFORE the Goldens started to retire, and we did it after the wheels predictably fell off - and there we are three years out of four in relegation scraps as a result.

I may be being unkind because I know you don’t just snap your fingers and a Burrow and McGuire appear magically in your academy, but it doesn’t look well managed on the face.
Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 am
Posted by Fallon on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 am
Fallon Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 176
Rep Position: 149th / 77,858

KaeruJim wrote:
I agree with that to an extent mate, but can you name me any real success stories since Sutcliffe and Handley until Oledzki/Smith/Walker?

For whatever reason there is a 3-4 (at least) gap from the Academy in terms of successful first team players produced.

Whether it’s just availability of talent, the quality of coaching at the time, the competition getting their act together and beating us to the talent or whatever... it’s about QED by looking at the first team quad now IMO.

Honesty it looks like the club failed to tool up the 3 years BEFORE the Goldens started to retire, and we did it after the wheels predictably fell off - and there we are three years out of four in relegation scraps as a result.

I may be being unkind because I know you don’t just snap your fingers and a Burrow and McGuire appear magically in your academy, but it doesn’t look well managed on the face.

I can see both sides of the argument here and I agree that we didn't have the required quality coming through ahead of time to fill the gaps left by the golden generation as we call them.

Did the club take their eye off the ball, was there a lack of genuine talent or did the talent take one look at the Leeds team and think they wouldn't get a game and choose a different club? Tbh we will never know.

What I would say though is that those that liken producing young players to a conveyor belt are a bit naive. It's not a constant process for any club in any sport. But having had some lean years we look like we have some great potential again. It's now making sure we integrate them in a sensible way.
Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 am
Posted by tad rhino on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 am
tad rhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 420
Rep Position: 50th / 77,858

could be wrong but didnt it all go tits up when the 2 macdermotts start running it?
Previous