WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:52 am
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:52 am
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 186th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 1477
Location: God's little acre
CJamesy wrote:
Why Navarrette? I’ve heard about Morgan and Jarrod not being here but not Romain


Escare, Navarette and Sammut don't mix well with other players and this isn't going down well in the club.

Bullock time keeping and attitude I believe is also causing some concern within the club and unless this changes he may well be on a slippery slope.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:56 am
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:56 am
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 186th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 1477
Location: God's little acre
NickyKiss wrote:
A lot of people had reservations about Sammut but he’s surprised me when he’s had a chance and done pretty well. He’s clearly not in Lams long term plans though and he looks good enough to get a regular spot somewhere in superleague, so you’d think he will move on.


Attack wise he is far better than TL but his defence at times is pretty ropey.
Also I believe that he is a bit aloof in training which doesn't go down well with Lam or the players.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:45 pm
Posted by Tricky Dicky on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:45 pm
Tricky Dicky User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 86
Rep Position: 212th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:23 pm
Posts: 6032
Location: Wigan
100% Warrior wrote:
For me French will play in the halves before the season is out. Only reason he didn’t v HKR is that he’s not up to speed on our play just yet.

First I’ve heard about Sammut leaving. Right choice for me, said it all season long but he wasn’t the quality we needed to begin with.


Ive heard he is heading to Halifax
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 am
Posted by 100% Warrior on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 am
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 310
Rep Position: 79th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 5144
Tricky Dicky wrote:
Ive heard he is heading to Halifax


Back down to his level of play. I’ll not deny he hasn’t done some good things for us, despite my stern opposition to him as a Wigan player, because he has. He has offered something which TL patently can’t - a creative kicking game. Other than that I fail to see what he offered. He came, did his best in a tough season and ultimately did a job for us so credit is due but for me the proof in the pudding of where Lam rates him was keeping him as an unused sub in 2 games.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 am
Posted by apollosghost on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 am
apollosghost Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 157
Rep Position: 153rd / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls
100% Warrior wrote:
Back down to his level of play. I’ll not deny he hasn’t done some good things for us, despite my stern opposition to him as a Wigan player, because he has. He has offered something which TL patently can’t - a creative kicking game. Other than that I fail to see what he offered. He came, did his best in a tough season and ultimately did a job for us so credit is due but for me the proof in the pudding of where Lam rates him was keeping him as an unused sub in 2 games.


First up I'll have to admit to not seeing all our matches this year due to a rotten run with my shift pattern but by chance I have seen the games where Sammut has played alongside Williams and we are a miles, miles better team with him in it.
Not just that but we're enjoyable to watch with him in the side. IMO it's bordering on criminal we're not playing him, let Leuluai and Powell fight it out for the 9 jersey.
Next year Hastings is obviously a step up on anything we've got now but for this season Sammut and Williams should be our halves.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm
Posted by moto748 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 222
Rep Position: 113th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Posts: 3281
I don't think it's unfair to say that many had pretty much made their mind up about Sammut before he'd ever pulled a Wigan shirt on.

In my view, the improvement in the team when he has played more than justifies any downside. But then again, I'm not the coach.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 186th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 1477
Location: God's little acre
moto748 wrote:
I don't think it's unfair to say that many had pretty much made their mind up about Sammut before he'd ever pulled a Wigan shirt on.

In my view, the improvement in the team when he has played more than justifies any downside. But then again, I'm not the coach.


I wouldn't disagree with you however, Lam doesn't seem to rate him enough to let TL and Powell share the 9 jersey.
As I have previously stated Sammut I believe doesn't really get on with rest of the squad which I assume makes it even more likely that he will be moved on at the end of the season.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 450
Rep Position: 41st / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4456
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I wouldn't disagree with you however, Lam doesn't seem to rate him enough to let TL and Powell share the 9 jersey.
As I have previously stated Sammut I believe doesn't really get on with rest of the squad which I assume makes it even more likely that he will be moved on at the end of the season.


Could Lam not start Sammut due to his attitude and how he trains performs? Rather than his ability?
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:36 pm
Posted by hengirl on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:36 pm
hengirl Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 192
Rep Position: 127th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 am
Posts: 717
NickyKiss wrote:
A lot of people had reservations about Sammut but he’s surprised me when he’s had a chance and done pretty well. He’s clearly not in Lams long term plans though and he looks good enough to get a regular spot somewhere in superleague, so you’d think he will move on.

I only ever thought he was signed as a stop gap,someone to hold the fort until Edwards arrived and a better standard of signing,that it’s Lam that’s inherited the better signings will surely see the end of him at Wigan.

Couple of games he’s looked ok,nothing special really and you have to ask why,and I don’t doubt he has talent why he hasn’t spent his whole career here in England at a top flight club rather than the clubs he was at.

It was a gamble by Wigan one that hasn’t really paid off,which is a shame as I personally never want to see a player not reach their potential,I’d be surprised if he was still at Wigan this time next year
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:58 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:58 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 186th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 1477
Location: God's little acre
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Could Lam not start Sammut due to his attitude and how he trains performs? Rather than his ability?


I suppose it is possible.
My understanding fwiw is that Sammut hasn't embraced the Wigan culture and Lam believes he can get better value for money elsewhere in the squad. This is also true re Escare where his attitude is poor and Lam believes he is grossly overpaid.

I just put it down to Lam putting his mark on the club/squad.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Akinwale Arobieke, Angelus, Azul, endoman, keyrox, ksm1701, MOUSE13, Paul Youane, Pie_Eyter, Redvee69, S_Riley, verbatim, warriorweed, Wigg'n and 126 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,956,2241,59677,8194,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TODAY 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
CASTLEFORD
TOMORROW 10:50
NRL
SOUTHS
v
MANLY
TOMORROW 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
SALFORD
Sat 21st Sep 10:50
NRL
MELBOURNE STORM
v
PARRAMATTA EELS
Sat 21st Sep 15:00
 CH
YORK
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 22nd Sep 14:00
 CH1
OLDHAM
v
DONCASTER
Sun 22nd Sep 14:00
WSL
FEATHERSTONEW
v
YORKW
Sun 22nd Sep 16:00
 CH1
NEWCASTLE
v
WORKINGTON TOWN
Sun 22nd Sep 18:30
 CH
TORONTO
v
TOULOUSE
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)