FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens 2 - 0 Wigan Warriors LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Dupree Sin Bin
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Referees
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 20168 years213th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:0524th Mar 24 11:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 am  
I think he is absolutely right to say this

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/st ... tolerated/

I don’t think referees should be immune from criticism however the way they are treated has now gone too far & crosses the line of what is acceptable imo.

We need to remember that without referees there will be no game. The players (that’s all of them from all teams) need to start taking responsibility for their own behaviour and learn to control themselves.
I think he is absolutely right to say this

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/st ... tolerated/

I don’t think referees should be immune from criticism however the way they are treated has now gone too far & crosses the line of what is acceptable imo.

We need to remember that without referees there will be no game. The players (that’s all of them from all teams) need to start taking responsibility for their own behaviour and learn to control themselves.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years153rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Feb 24 10:5912th Jul 23 05:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Mac out!

Re: Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:42 am  
I gave refereeing up due to just that. I wasn't travelling miles on my day off to be abused.

Unfortunately the players watch Sky RL and think all referees have touch judges, 5th referee........ the reality is that they have more than likely refereed the under 15s, under 17s and then the adult game.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Oct 20 11:2121st Oct 20 10:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

Re: Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:44 am  
I agree, but I think we're also putting the referees in a thankless position.

As a sport, we definitely put too much emphasis on the referees. We see it on this forum when supporters immediately start commenting the second the referee appointments are announced. It really is quite pathetic.

But Ganson and Red Hall need to lead on this issue.

The referees are an easy target because they aren't really in a position to defend themselves. Coaches, many of whom are under various degrees of pressure, can call out referees in press conferences knowing that there's little recourse and that supporters will usually buy it. I can't remember which official it was, but I remember cringing when Richard Agar implied that a referee was being influenced by "comments he made about that ref in the past" earlier this year. We've even had official club Twitter feeds calling out match officials - is this really the sort of culture the sport needs?

There needs to be greater sanctions for players, coaches and club officials who do call out match officials publically. Let's be honest, most aren't doing it because they think the officials are poor - they're doing it to deflect from either their or their players' failings. I know people often retort to that sort of suggestion with "well the refs should be made to defend their decisions in public", but why? I don't expect Brad Singleton to go on Sky and explain his lazy swinging arm on Friday night, so why should I expect James Child to explain why he missed a forward pass?

The RFL needs to start making the job of being a match official easier. It's a bloody hard job and we're making it needlessly difficult. That includes making rule interpretations clearer, demanding higher standards of conduct from the players and eventually moving to a two referee system.

They also need to back their referees more. Ralph Rimmer can argue all he likes that James Child being sent to Widnes was not a 'demotion' following the incidents in Perpignan, but it was a real opportunity for the RFL to make a statement that it is backing and standing by its officials, and they blew it.

But above all else, the culture needs to change. We have to move from this culture where the default response from many sections from the supporter base is to 'blame the referee'. This goes from Super League right through to park rugby and until something is done about that culture, we're going to continue to have a recruitment problem in RL.

I really stopped caring about match officials a long time ago. I'm mature enough to understand that in professional sport, there's a strong possibility that I might disagree with a referee's call, but I accept that. I honestly found that it made me enjoy the sport a lot more.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 22:0729th Mar 24 14:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Re: Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:23 am  
To be honest I think its a two way street in terms of respect. Whilst I oppose abusing the officials that does not mean they should be immune from criticism.
For me Ganson's input in the officials is telling but not in a positive way, they seem to have an arrogance about them that they didnt have before and consistency in officiating is lacking also.
I think that when they were still part time they were given more leeway within the game but now as full time professionals they should rightly be accountable for their performances.
Officiating is a thankless task but that doesn't mean they are exempt from criticism or that they shouldn't take on board what is being said and work towards a solution for the good of the game.
bren2k 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 20 12:495th May 20 08:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:49 pm  
“I’ve seen examples of players trying to convince referees visually and verbally to rule against the opposition – for me, that’s not acceptable in Rugby League."

That's been going on for years - with certain high profile, "big name" players being repeat offenders; and whilst I agree with him that it's completely unacceptable, it could and should have been nipped in the bud years ago. It wasn't, so it's ramped up and become standard practice.

FWIW, I'd be entirely supportive of a scorched earth, zero tolerance attitude to dissent and referee abuse - and if that meant a couple of weeks of scrappy games, with players penalised and results affected, tough titty - that's on coaches and players, not referees; provided they are at least somewhat consistent with it, clubs would have no one to blame but themselves.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8990
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 200915 years283rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Sep 23 15:5026th Sep 23 15:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.

Re: Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:17 pm  
Chris71 wrote:
To be honest I think its a two way street in terms of respect. Whilst I oppose abusing the officials that does not mean they should be immune from criticism.
For me Ganson's input in the officials is telling but not in a positive way, they seem to have an arrogance about them that they didnt have before and consistency in officiating is lacking also.
I think that when they were still part time they were given more leeway within the game but now as full time professionals they should rightly be accountable for their performances.
Officiating is a thankless task but that doesn't mean they are exempt from criticism or that they shouldn't take on board what is being said and work towards a solution for the good of the game.

So in your two way street that post basically flowed in one direction.
reffy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5204No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 200915 years232nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 11:0117th Mar 24 19:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:23 pm  
Chris71 wrote:

That comes across as a lecture to referees, the jist of which is ‘put up with it’.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17871
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 10:1328th Mar 24 10:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:31 pm  
bren2k wrote:
“I’ve seen examples of players trying to convince referees visually and verbally to rule against the opposition – for me, that’s not acceptable in Rugby League."

That's been going on for years - with certain high profile, "big name" players being repeat offenders; and whilst I agree with him that it's completely unacceptable, it could and should have been nipped in the bud years ago. It wasn't, so it's ramped up and become standard practice.

FWIW, I'd be entirely supportive of a scorched earth, zero tolerance attitude to dissent and referee abuse - and if that meant a couple of weeks of scrappy games, with players penalised and results affected, tough titty - that's on coaches and players, not referees; provided they are at least somewhat consistent with it, clubs would have no one to blame but themselves.

Bang on Bren.
Regardless of how bad they are, any criticism (apart for that of the fans) should be happening behind closed doors.
Can you imagine if every mistake that the players was magnified to the same extent as some of the officials calls.

I know that it gives the pundits something to talk about but, they need to be really careful about how they knock them.

Same for the coaches.

So many come on the TV saying "I know that I may be in trouble for saying this...…………… and as fans we want the coaches to be passionate about their club but, 99/100, in terms of errors, the ref performs better than the players.
Added to that, they have too much to keep an eye on.
If they are concentrating on getting players to move from the ruck, there will be players on their blindside creeping forward.
Most fans only see the wrongdoing against their side and never too much from their own.

As you say, zero tolerance for back chat and if it happens a second time, the yellow card needs to be shown.
The dissent would stop instantly.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8990
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 200915 years283rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.

Re: Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 pm  
It's simple players have no reason to instigate the ref in conversation.

A players reply is yes sir or no sir.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8990
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 200915 years283rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Referees : Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:42 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Bang on Bren.
Regardless of how bad they are, any criticism (apart for that of the fans) should be happening behind closed doors.
Can you imagine if every mistake that the players was magnified to the same extent as some of the officials calls.

I know that it gives the pundits something to talk about but, they need to be really careful about how they knock them.

Same for the coaches.

So many come on the TV saying "I know that I may be in trouble for saying this...…………… and as fans we want the coaches to be passionate about their club but, 99/100, in terms of errors, the ref performs better than the players.
Added to that, they have too much to keep an eye on.
If they are concentrating on getting players to move from the ruck, there will be players on their blindside creeping forward.
Most fans only see the wrongdoing against their side and never too much from their own.

As you say, zero tolerance for back chat and if it happens a second time, the yellow card needs to be shown.
The dissent would stop instantly.

Yep and something similar for coaches blaming a loss on ref decisions
Next