WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Warringtons violent fans

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Warringtons violent fans

Re: Warringtons violent fans
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:44 am
Posted by sergeant pepper on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:44 am
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 93
Rep Position: 212th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Seems to be a lack of information on this one and still everyone is all ready with pitchfork at hand to attack Wire.

Now I'll start by saying that I don't like wire as much as the next Wigan fan & I do enjoy watching them capitulate at the final hurdle, but I don't think we can pin this one on their club. I was disgusted by the trouble in the stands last week and it was reprehensible too.

But ..where did this coach get attacked? Was it after the game and outside of the stadium, or was it further afield? I'm reading reports that the coach set off from a pub in town. If that's true then its like blaming the Wigan coach because a supporters coach was attacked in Pem or the town centre.

It's too easy to point a finger at the club, when in reality there's very little they can do about this one imo.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 am
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 am
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 440
Rep Position: 44th / 77,892

sergeant pepper wrote:
Seems to be a lack of information on this one and still everyone is all ready with pitchfork at hand to attack Wire.

Now I'll start by saying that I don't like wire as much as the next Wigan fan & I do enjoy watching them capitulate at the final hurdle, but I don't think we can pin this one on their club. I was disgusted by the trouble in the stands last week and it was reprehensible too.

But ..where did this coach get attacked? Was it after the game and outside of the stadium, or was it further afield? I'm reading reports that the coach set off from a pub in town. If that's true then its like blaming the Wigan coach because a supporters coach was attacked in Pem or the town centre.

It's too easy to point a finger at the club, when in reality there's very little they can do about this one imo.

It was just by the ground close to the Three Pigeons pub.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:06 am
Posted by Cruncher on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:06 am
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 313
Rep Position: 77th / 77,892

I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

Warrington have long been one of those (few) clubs who, when they're coming here or we're going there, you have to make special plans for. Like deciding whether to wear colours or not, deciding where to park, taking pains to ensure you travel and stand with plenty of other Wiganers, etc.

But it's been going on for decades, and what you see now is literally nowt compared to what you used to see in the 70s and 80s.

I think they're a much better-run club now than they ever were back then. Who can forget their official statement to the press after the 'World War Three' game on on New Year's Day in 1989: "F**k off."

You'd never get anything so stupid from Simon Moran's people.

We should remember that there's a lot more footage shot at matches these days than there ever was in the past, so the slightest scuffle can be made to seem like a big deal.

That doesn't mean there haven't been incidents, but if they continue, I think Moran and co will root them out. They'll have to, because they want a professional and respected club.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:33 am
Posted by warrior1872 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:33 am
warrior1872 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 69
Rep Position: 235th / 77,892

Cruncher wrote:
I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

Warrington have long been one of those (few) clubs who, when they're coming here or we're going there, you have to make special plans for. Like deciding whether to wear colours or not, deciding where to park, taking pains to ensure you travel and stand with plenty of other Wiganers, etc.

But it's been going on for decades, and what you see now is literally nowt compared to what you used to see in the 70s and 80s.

I think they're a much better-run club now than they ever were back then. Who can forget their official statement to the press after the 'World War Three' game on on New Year's Day in 1989: "F**k off."

You'd never get anything so stupid from Simon Moran's people.

We should remember that there's a lot more footage shot at matches these days than there ever was in the past, so the slightest scuffle can be made to seem like a big deal.

That doesn't mean there haven't been incidents, but if they continue, I think Moran and co will root them out. They'll have to, because they want a professional and respected club.

You can change the way a club is run but they still have the same scumbag supporters
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am
Posted by Pie_Eyter on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am
Pie_Eyter Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 47
Rep Position: 257th / 77,892

Probably because Warrington is a ghastly place full of anti social behaviour. I always see myself as middle class when i visit there. The only decent thing Warrington has going for it is that there is a McDonalds on the way out.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 am
Posted by Akinwale Arobieke on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 am
Akinwale Arobieke User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 14
Rep Position: 290th / 77,892

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Probably because Warrington is a ghastly place full of anti social behaviour. I always see myself as middle class when i visit there. The only decent thing Warrington has going for it is that there is a McDonalds on the way out.

Really? Warrington is a much wealthier town than Wigan
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:34 am
Posted by secondstanza on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:34 am
secondstanza Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 32
Rep Position: 272nd / 77,892

Akinwale Arobieke wrote:
Really? Warrington is a much wealthier town than Wigan

Yeah it's a daft comment, Warrington town centres is miles better than Wigan's - much as it pains me to say.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:44 am
Posted by sergeant pepper on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:44 am
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 93
Rep Position: 212th / 77,892

secondstanza wrote:
Yeah it's a daft comment, Warrington town centres is miles better than Wigan's - much as it pains me to say.

You've got Stockton Heath which is lovely too.

There's some very strange comments on this thread.

Surely any reasonable adult can detach their dislike of a sports team from the real world. You see it all the time with football fans not liking an actual city simply because of a sporting rivalry (see Utd fans automatically being dismissive of Liverpool as a city).
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:50 pm
Posted by Cruncher on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:50 pm
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 313
Rep Position: 77th / 77,892

warrior1872 wrote:
You can change the way a club is run but they still have the same scumbag supporters

There's no doubt that they have a rep which will attract ragtag and bobtail on a regular basis, not just when they're winnng stuff. But Moran seems to be a very respected adminstrator, and I can't see him tolerating this if it starts to rear its head again the way it did 20-odd years ago.

That said, I do agree that ordinary Wire fans responding with whataboutery whenever the subject comes up are not helping. There are incidents at other clubs, but they have by far the more evident problem.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:34 pm
Posted by fleabag on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:34 pm
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 43
Rep Position: 261st / 77,892

Cruncher wrote:

Yep, I can recall us playing at Wilderspool early 1970's. Thankfully at the time I was a very fit serving soldier, and went with my family including both parents. I was also very clued up on riot training, as Northern Ireland was the major conflict at the time. It was grim and wild at Wilderspool. I think Alex Murphy was their coach at the time.

I am sure the hooliganism isn't as bad these days, but 'wire' have had this problem since even before I started watching Wigan in the very late 1950's. My old Dad commented on them many times of even before my time, and he went back to the late 1920's watching Wigan.

IIRC, even Billy wouldn't let them in the Griffin when they came to CP.

I used to know some long time staunch 'wire' fans who were as appalled at their behaviour as we are.
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit
PreviousNext