WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tommy signs new contract

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Tommy signs new contract

Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:29 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:29 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 735
Rep Position: 13th / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 23178
Location: WIGAN
MadDogg wrote:
Leuluai's 'bombs' aren't supposed to be difficult to catch - they just give the chase a bit of time to get forward and hopefully trap the winger as close to the corner as possible. We've been doing it for years - a bit dreary but its low risk and does tend to put us in a decent position to defend from.


We’d get even more time if he could get some height on them.
Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 234
Rep Position: 107th / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7183
Location: The Mighty Wigan
NickyKiss wrote:
We’d get even more time if he could get some height on them.


Maybe but I think he's looking for placement rather than height. He is capable of a decent bomb - see the one he put up at the Wire cup game which Charnley dropped.
Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 450
Rep Position: 41st / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4461
MadDogg wrote:
Leuluai's 'bombs' aren't supposed to be difficult to catch - they just give the chase a bit of time to get forward and hopefully trap the winger as close to the corner as possible. We've been doing it for years - a bit dreary but its low risk and does tend to put us in a decent position to defend from.


What nonsense. All bombs are meant to be difficult to catch, what's better, a knock on/spilled attempt to catch or a safe catch? Even if the catch is made, a difficult bomb will actually put the receiving time under more pressure.

Heard it all now.
Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 am
Posted by MadDogg on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 am
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 234
Rep Position: 107th / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7183
Location: The Mighty Wigan
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
What nonsense. All bombs are meant to be difficult to catch, what's better, a knock on/spilled attempt to catch or a safe catch? Even if the catch is made, a difficult bomb will actually put the receiving time under more pressure.

Heard it all now.


Which is why I used the word 'bombs' in inverted commas - you can't really describe those kicks as that. They're more lofted kicks aimed at placement rather than height.
Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 450
Rep Position: 41st / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4461
MadDogg wrote:
Which is why I used the word 'bombs' in inverted commas - you can't really describe those kicks as that. They're more lofted kicks aimed at placement rather than height.


Bomb or no bomb. The idea of basically handing the ball back to the opposition from the last tackle would never fit in the vocabulary of any player or coach. There's numerous different kicks/tactics which can be implemented on the last tackle for different effects on the opposition, if the desire was to trap the opposition winger into the corner, a 'lofted' kick wouldn't be used at all.

For a 7, Tommy's kicking game has always been terrible.
Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:03 am
Posted by Egg Chasing on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:03 am
Egg Chasing Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 232nd / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Watching Rugby League
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
The idea of basically handing the ball back to the opposition from the last tackle would never fit in the vocabulary of any player or coach.


We were coached under Wane to do just that which is why we never kicked to touch. He wanted to keep the ball in play as he believed we were fitter than them.

We lost several close games in the last minutes because we were incapable of running the clock down.
Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:20 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:20 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 450
Rep Position: 41st / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4461
Egg Chasing wrote:
We were coached under Wane to do just that which is why we never kicked to touch. He wanted to keep the ball in play as he believed we were fitter than them.

We lost several close games in the last minutes because we were incapable of running the clock down.


There's a massive difference between keeping the ball in the field of play and handing back the ball via a 'lofted kick'. Where are you even getting this from? If the kick goes straight to the winger or FB it's a poor kick.
Keeping the ball in the field of play is a tactic, but you split the FB and winger making one of them have to cover ground to field the ball, usually a kick is to 'find the floor' first, this allows the kicking team more time to chase the ball up the pitch and pen the fielding opposition in their own half.

Keep the ball in the field of play and 'a lofted kick to directly to the opposition' are vastly different.
Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:52 pm
Posted by apollosghost on Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:52 pm
apollosghost Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 157
Rep Position: 154th / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 1193
Location: Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
There's a massive difference between keeping the ball in the field of play and handing back the ball via a 'lofted kick'. Where are you even getting this from? If the kick goes straight to the winger or FB it's a poor kick.
Keeping the ball in the field of play is a tactic, but you split the FB and winger making one of them have to cover ground to field the ball, usually a kick is to 'find the floor' first, this allows the kicking team more time to chase the ball up the pitch and pen the fielding opposition in their own half.

Keep the ball in the field of play and 'a lofted kick to directly to the opposition' are vastly different.


See Sammut v Catalans at home, masterclass, they were dead on their feet with 20mins to go.
Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:28 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:28 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 450
Rep Position: 41st / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4461
apollosghost wrote:
See Sammut v Catalans at home, masterclass, they were dead on their feet with 20mins to go.


I give up.
Re: Tommy signs new contract
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 pm
Posted by warrior1872 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 pm
warrior1872 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 61
Rep Position: 237th / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:14 pm
Posts: 272
Location: smelly warrington unfortunately
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Bomb or no bomb. The idea of basically handing the ball back to the opposition from the last tackle would never fit in the vocabulary of any player or coach. There's numerous different kicks/tactics which can be implemented on the last tackle for different effects on the opposition, if the desire was to trap the opposition winger into the corner, a 'lofted' kick wouldn't be used at all.

For a 7, Tommy's kicking game has always been terrible.

Tommy has always been a better hooker than scrum half
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Akinwale Arobieke, Arthur Warrior, Cherry_&_White, Guerrier, jaws1, MattyB, MelbourneWarrior, Rogues Gallery, tugglesf78, wigginswarrior and 227 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,958,2581,70377,8244,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 26th Sep 19:45
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 27th Sep 10:50
NRL
CANBERRA
v
SOUTHS
Fri 27th Sep 19:45
SLXXIV
ST.HELENS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 28th Sep 10:50
NRL
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
v
MELBOURNE STORM
Sun 29th Sep 12:00
 CH1
NEWCASTLE
v
DONCASTER
Sun 29th Sep 13:00
WSL
ST.HELENSW
v
CASTLEFORDW
Sun 29th Sep 14:00
WSL
LEEDSW
v
WIGANW
Sun 29th Sep 14:00
WSL
BRADFORDW
v
YORKW
Sun 29th Sep 14:00
WSL
FEATHERSTONEW
v
WAKEFIELDW
Sun 29th Sep 18:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
FEATHERSTONE
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)