WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Burgess signed: Official

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Burgess signed: Official

Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:04 pm
Posted by [Gareth] on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:04 pm
[Gareth] User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 137
Rep Position: 181st / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:30 pm
Posts: 14301
Location: Listening to the reggae band, Jihad
I hereby announce George Burgess as the 2020 Scapegoat
"Ich bin Ausländer"

"This song is for all you people in the back, its called 'Hard To See'"
Ivan Moody, 5FDP, Reading Festival 2016
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:05 pm
Posted by Moe syslak on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:05 pm
Moe syslak User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 252
Rep Position: 104th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 pm
Posts: 1196
Location: Springfield
NickyKiss wrote:
It’s been lovely reading round social media and these boards for opinions on this signing. As a general rugby league fan I was made up Wire signed Widdop, Catalans got Maloney etc because it’s great for the league but funnily enough the general feelings around superleague don’t seem as positive on us signing one of the Burgess clan. You’ve got the usual salary cap breach claims, he’ll fit in at the grubiest team in the planet, he’s finished etc but my number one is from our favourite Wire fan Rubber Dickie-

“I’d rather sign Eddie Battye”

Close the forums, we’ve got a winner!

The disturbing thing is that he isn't joking!
'I've done things i'm not proud of. And the things i am proud of,.......well they're disgusting'
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:07 pm
Posted by moto748 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:07 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 240
Rep Position: 109th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Posts: 3331
Eddie Battye.

I just looked up his Wiki page. Is this the work of someone we know? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Battye
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:32 pm
Posted by Captain Hook on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:32 pm
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 581
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:54 pm
Posts: 2154
Location: Looking for my Happy Clapper membership card
Phuzzy wrote:
Sorry, I didn't do Wire because it's a very similar situation to Saints. None of your back rowers are current internationals and, whilst I think Currie could have been with a good injury free run, as it stands, he's not. If I give you he's the equal of Faz (ex international) that leaves you Jack Hughes for Greenwood. Jack is a good, solid Superleague back rower but, even at his best, has never been near the England set up. I'm not sure who you want to put up against O'Loughlin but I can't see anyone in your squad (Jason Clarke, BMM - both of whom your own fans don't really rate) who comes close. You say you're an admirer so I'm assuming you agree?

I'm using being internationals as a benchmark because that's the highest standard achievable and is universally accepted as a marker of a player's worth across every sport in the world. Not really sure why you would object to that tbh and I'm sure you've used it yourself when describing Widdop, for example.

I'm not decrying your (or Saints) packs by the way. Both your front rows are significantly better than ours and much the same reasoning applies in reverse. However, my comment regarding the back row is a fair one and, unless you can show me a like for like one that stands scrutiny (to paraphrase your sig, anything else is just opinion) I'm not exactly sure what you're objecting to.

In a nutshell I don’t think your second row is anything special. So all we are left with is an agreement that SO’L is/has been. Nothing much to see here.
Still think Burgess is a good signing and Superleague will have more class players next season than this, making it a mouth watering prospect.
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:34 pm
Posted by Captain Hook on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:34 pm
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 581
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:54 pm
Posts: 2154
Location: Looking for my Happy Clapper membership card
Ps Currie is a current international and Hughes is in the elite squad albeit for GB rather than England.
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:41 pm
Posted by Angelus on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:41 pm
Angelus Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 67
Rep Position: 247th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:10 pm
Posts: 188
moto748 wrote:
Eddie Battye.

I just looked up his Wiki page. Is this the work of someone we know? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Battye


Updated at 8.10am by an anonymous person on an Iphone. Seems legit :lol: .
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:12 pm
Posted by Phuzzy on Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:12 pm
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 290
Rep Position: 90th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 3608
Location: Just about to go do some work!
Captain Hook wrote:
In a nutshell I don’t think your second row is anything special. So all we are left with is an agreement that SO’L is/has been. Nothing much to see here.
Still think Burgess is a good signing and Superleague will have more class players next season than this, making it a mouth watering prospect.

Important bit in bold. Care to back it up with how you think a back row containing 2 current internationals isn't a step up on anything else in Superleague.

P..S. Being picked for the elite squad doesn't make you an international. Neither is 1 game in 2017 current.
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:44 pm
Posted by Captain Hook on Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:44 pm
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 581
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:54 pm
Posts: 2154
Location: Looking for my Happy Clapper membership card
Phuzzy wrote:
Important bit in bold. Care to back it up with how you think a back row containing 2 current internationals isn't a step up on anything else in Superleague.

P..S. Being picked for the elite squad doesn't make you an international. Neither is 1 game in 2017 current.

I’ll make this really easy, my opinion is different to yours. I accept I won’t change your mind. You said Jack has never been [b]near[b] the England squad, I pointed out that being in the elite squad must make him “near”.
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:09 pm
Posted by Phuzzy on Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:09 pm
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 290
Rep Position: 90th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 3608
Location: Just about to go do some work!
Captain Hook wrote:
I’ll make this really easy, my opinion is different to yours. I accept I won’t change your mind. You said Jack has never been [b]near[b] the England squad, I pointed out that being in the elite squad must make him “near”.

So why bother posting if you're not adding anything beyond "I disagree"? I'm sure there's hundreds of people who disagree. This isn't a vote! Either put something of substance forward as to why you disagree or your opinion is of no relevance to the debate. Might I suggest you give this a watch. You might see where I'm coming from:

https://vimeo.com/25921512

Depends on your definition of "near". Playing in Superleague makes him "near" if that's your definition of it. Do you honestly see him being picked?
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:20 pm
Posted by Captain Hook on Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:20 pm
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 581
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:54 pm
Posts: 2154
Location: Looking for my Happy Clapper membership card
Phuzzy wrote:
So why bother posting if you're not adding anything beyond "I disagree"? I'm sure there's hundreds of people who disagree. This isn't a vote! Either put something of substance forward as to why you disagree or your opinion is of no relevance to the debate. Might I suggest you give this a watch. You might see where I'm coming from:

https://vimeo.com/25921512

Depends on your definition of "near". Playing in Superleague makes him "near" if that's your definition of it. Do you honestly see him being picked?

I gave my opinion, it is different to yours, you don’t like my opinion, fair enough.
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 100% Warrior, apollosghost, Blueblood, Brick with eyes, Cherry_&_White, CM Punk, Cruncher, exiled Warrior, Froggy, hatty, Jordan Rankin, LondonRobster, MattyB, notorious, Redvee69, S_Riley, Seth, The Magic Rat, TheButcher, tugglesf78 and 214 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,984,7571,71377,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)