WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Burgess signed: Official

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Burgess signed: Official

Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:01 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:01 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 779
Rep Position: 13th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 23374
Location: WIGAN
It’s been lovely reading round social media and these boards for opinions on this signing. As a general rugby league fan I was made up Wire signed Widdop, Catalans got Maloney etc because it’s great for the league but funnily enough the general feelings around superleague don’t seem as positive on us signing one of the Burgess clan. You’ve got the usual salary cap breach claims, he’ll fit in at the grubiest team in the planet, he’s finished etc but my number one is from our favourite Wire fan Rubber Dickie-

“I’d rather sign Eddie Battye”

Close the forums, we’ve got a winner!
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:15 am
Posted by Cruncher on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:15 am
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 315
Rep Position: 81st / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:10 am
Posts: 14334
NickyKiss wrote:
It’s been lovely reading round social media and these boards for opinions on this signing. As a general rugby league fan I was made up Wire signed Widdop, Catalans got Maloney etc because it’s great for the league but funnily enough the general feelings around superleague don’t seem as positive on us signing one of the Burgess clan. You’ve got the usual salary cap breach claims, he’ll fit in at the grubiest team in the planet, he’s finished etc but my number one is from our favourite Wire fan Rubber Dickie-

“I’d rather sign Eddie Battye”

Close the forums, we’ve got a winner!


You can't beat jealousy. It's always shown best from someone who'd quietly convinced themselves that they were now the biggest draw in town - and had then found out otherwise.
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:16 am
Posted by [Gareth] on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:16 am
[Gareth] User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 137
Rep Position: 181st / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:30 pm
Posts: 14301
Location: Listening to the reggae band, Jihad
NickyKiss wrote:
It’s been lovely reading round social media and these boards for opinions on this signing. As a general rugby league fan I was made up Wire signed Widdop, Catalans got Maloney etc because it’s great for the league but funnily enough the general feelings around superleague don’t seem as positive on us signing one of the Burgess clan. You’ve got the usual salary cap breach claims, he’ll fit in at the grubiest team in the planet, he’s finished etc but my number one is from our favourite Wire fan Rubber Dickie-

“I’d rather sign Eddie Battye”

Close the forums, we’ve got a winner!


It has been priceless reading! Before he signed for us, the general opinion is that most SL teams would welcome him with open arms. Now he's a Warrior its a case of hes finished, not been good since 810BC, wont be in the top 10 SL props etc etc....
"Ich bin Ausländer"

"This song is for all you people in the back, its called 'Hard To See'"
Ivan Moody, 5FDP, Reading Festival 2016
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:25 am
Posted by jonh on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:25 am
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 234
Rep Position: 113th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 17068
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
NickyKiss wrote:
It’s been lovely reading round social media and these boards for opinions on this signing. As a general rugby league fan I was made up Wire signed Widdop, Catalans got Maloney etc because it’s great for the league but funnily enough the general feelings around superleague don’t seem as positive on us signing one of the Burgess clan. You’ve got the usual salary cap breach claims, he’ll fit in at the grubiest team in the planet, he’s finished etc but my number one is from our favourite Wire fan Rubber Dickie-

“I’d rather sign Eddie Battye”

Close the forums, we’ve got a winner!



He will be disappointed. He is Wakefield bound.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:17 am
Posted by Dezzies_right_hook on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:17 am
Dezzies_right_hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 184
Rep Position: 144th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:05 pm
Posts: 1062
I wonder if all agents fees have been declared this time around ha ha

Again great signing and good to see weew getting better players coming over from nrl your team will be pretty decent next year if can get them gelled together in pre season and early games
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:58 am
Posted by Captain Hook on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:58 am
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 581
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:54 pm
Posts: 2162
Location: Looking for my Happy Clapper membership card
Phuzzy wrote:
So your post is basically opinion based on wishful thinking and misunderstanding. O'loughlin has played 18 times this season and been playing longer minutes than any recent season. Up until a couple weeks ago he was apparently 4th at the club for most minutes played. So what's your point here?

As for 'not setting us apart from Saints'; who in their back row is a current international? Zeb Taia? Nope. Dominic Peyroux? Don't think so. LMS? Well if you count 2nd tier nations I guess. Joseph Paulo? Does a 2nd tier nation 2 years ago count as current? The only 1st tier appearance between the lot of them is 1 appearance for New Zealand nearly a decade ago! If you see that as the same may I suggest your viewpoint might be a little suspect?

I see you still haven't given me your better back row (I'm assuming Saints is just a wind up?). Come on, spit it out and at least give me a crack at it.

Strangely my opinion isn’t based on reputation or on internationals (that was your criteria), based on your criteria I note you haven’t dealt with Wire.
As for O’Loughlin, I didn’t know how much he had played which is why I asked.
I note you have completely ignored the fact that I said I’m an admirer.
As for Farrell and the other bloke Hughes and Currie (even though nowhere near his best yet, are a match). No doubt you will respond with the “Hughes= Wigan reject” line. We see him week in week out just as you say about your 2.
Ps check out my signature for further clarification
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 am
Posted by Phuzzy on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 am
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 290
Rep Position: 90th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 3608
Location: Just about to go do some work!
Captain Hook wrote:
Strangely my opinion isn’t based on reputation or on internationals (that was your criteria), based on your criteria I note you haven’t dealt with Wire.
As for O’Loughlin, I didn’t know how much he had played which is why I asked.
I note you have completely ignored the fact that I said I’m an admirer.
As for Farrell and the other bloke Hughes and Currie (even though nowhere near his best yet, are a match). No doubt you will respond with the “Hughes= Wigan reject” line. We see him week in week out just as you say about your 2.
Ps check out my signature for further clarification

Sorry, I didn't do Wire because it's a very similar situation to Saints. None of your back rowers are current internationals and, whilst I think Currie could have been with a good injury free run, as it stands, he's not. If I give you he's the equal of Faz (ex international) that leaves you Jack Hughes for Greenwood. Jack is a good, solid Superleague back rower but, even at his best, has never been near the England set up. I'm not sure who you want to put up against O'Loughlin but I can't see anyone in your squad (Jason Clarke, BMM - both of whom your own fans don't really rate) who comes close. You say you're an admirer so I'm assuming you agree?

I'm using being internationals as a benchmark because that's the highest standard achievable and is universally accepted as a marker of a player's worth across every sport in the world. Not really sure why you would object to that tbh and I'm sure you've used it yourself when describing Widdop, for example.

I'm not decrying your (or Saints) packs by the way. Both your front rows are significantly better than ours and much the same reasoning applies in reverse. However, my comment regarding the back row is a fair one and, unless you can show me a like for like one that stands scrutiny (to paraphrase your sig, anything else is just opinion) I'm not exactly sure what you're objecting to.
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:09 pm
Posted by The_Enforcer on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:09 pm
The_Enforcer Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 357
Rep Position: 64th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:02 pm
Posts: 911
bazdev wrote:
George is 27 and nowhere near past his best. This season he has played better after a poor 2018. If we can get him motivated he will be the best prop in SL by a distance

Sam Burgess is Souths most important player, now hes had his op on a nagging injury he will show his worth come playoff time.

Have you watched any NRL this season?


Age has nothing to do with it. George, along with Sam peaked around 3-5 years ago. Their bodies took a beating at a young age similar to Stuart Fielden and now they are on the decline from the heights they once reached. I am not saying they are bad players, and they can still hold their own but they are not going to ever recapture the form they once displayed. George will go well in SL if his mind is on the job. Best prop in the league? im not sure about that but he will be up there with the best as long as he stays injury free. Sam will still be a very important player for Souths but if you think he is going to come close to hitting the heights of his first stint there, you are mistaken. IMO Tom Burgess is the better of the 3 brothers at this present time and still playing close to his peak level.
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:28 pm
Posted by Levrier on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:28 pm
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 174
Rep Position: 153rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 1069
Dear shipmates remember to wear factor 50 when going out into that green glow emanating from certain other sites. :mrgreen:
Re: Burgess signed: Official
Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:32 pm
Posted by Blueblood on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:32 pm
Blueblood Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 27
Rep Position: 287th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:54 am
Posts: 60
Can you not afford sky Sam's killing it
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arthur Warrior, Froggy, hatty, Itchy Arsenal, JIMMY MAGNETS, MattyB, ryano, ShortArse, That Mon, TheButcher, WiganPom and 163 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,985,6451,71877,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)