WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Lam to stay on in 2020
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:24 pm
Posted by ShortArse on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:24 pm
ShortArse User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 34
Rep Position: 270th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 20

Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:17 am
Posts: 2159
Location: bridgend
So despite the salary cap, RL is still in a position where the teams that can afford to lose the most can win the most?

Wolves lost 260k in 2016 and 70k in 2017

Leeds make money but that's at the expense of spending on the team - and that is showing with their league positions once the golden generation retired.

Hull FC ground share in a council stadium.
Cas make money but havent won anything
Giants debts are £10M more than their assets

Hull KR? Salford? London? Wakefield? no financial cures there

all very worrying.
Ah, good taste!
What a dreadful thing!
Taste is the enemy of creativeness.

Pablo Picasso
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:52 pm
Posted by hatty on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:52 pm
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 211
Rep Position: 124th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: wigan...where else!!
Wigg'n wrote:
What do you mean 'assets to rescue them'?

Not to rescue as such, more of a remortgage
1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:39 am
Posted by FearTheVee on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:39 am
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 135
Rep Position: 174th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:57 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Much too far South
Rogues Gallery wrote:
Since Saints moved into their new stadium they have lost £7,996 million. In the same period Wigan lost £1,613 million.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history


Classic RG spin :)

Here's another way of looking at it chap:
- The losses you quote for Saints include big depreciation charges (approx £500k p.a.) for a stadium that has been fully paid for whilst the club remains debt free;
- Early teething problems at the stadium (hospitality/catering etc subsequently taken in house, cladding-gate etc) led to chunky losses in early years, but after adjusting for depreciation, Saints made an opeprating profit in both 2015 and 2016 - we didn't make a final in either year. Wigan lost about £650k by the same measure in 2016 alone despite winning SL
- 2017 was a difficult one and a loss of c.£0.7m was made as lots of changes made and costs incurred (KC and some associated staff leaving mid-contract, connection lost between club and town) HOWEVER McManus has advised he expects us to be back in profit for 2018 without a final appearance. We will know soon enough as the accounts are due shortly. In 2017 Wigan lost £450k-ish despite winning the WCC and making (and profitably losing) the Challenge Cup Final.
- After recent conversion of shareholder loans to equity, Saints have a positive net asset position of £22m and no debt. Wigan are balance sheet insolvent with minimal assets, owe c.£1m to the Bank and c.£6m to Lenagan - hopefully neither of them ever need the money back.

I know you long banged the "it's better to rent than have assets" drum with respect to Saints, but let's have a bit of balance eh.
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:00 pm
Posted by post on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:00 pm
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 177
Rep Position: 142nd / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 4698
FearTheVee wrote:
Classic RG spin :)

Here's another way of looking at it chap:
- The losses you quote for Saints include big depreciation charges (approx £500k p.a.) for a stadium that has been fully paid for whilst the club remains debt free;
- Early teething problems at the stadium (hospitality/catering etc subsequently taken in house, cladding-gate etc) led to chunky losses in early years, but after adjusting for depreciation, Saints made an opeprating profit in both 2015 and 2016 - we didn't make a final in either year. Wigan lost about £650k by the same measure in 2016 alone despite winning SL
- 2017 was a difficult one and a loss of c.£0.7m was made as lots of changes made and costs incurred (KC and some associated staff leaving mid-contract, connection lost between club and town) HOWEVER McManus has advised he expects us to be back in profit for 2018 without a final appearance. We will know soon enough as the accounts are due shortly. In 2017 Wigan lost £450k-ish despite winning the WCC and making (and profitably losing) the Challenge Cup Final.
- After recent conversion of shareholder loans to equity, Saints have a positive net asset position of £22m and no debt. Wigan are balance sheet insolvent with minimal assets, owe c.£1m to the Bank and c.£6m to Lenagan - hopefully neither of them ever need the money back.

I know you long banged the "it's better to rent than have assets" drum with respect to Saints, but let's have a bit of balance eh.


Wigan lost £650k and Saints lost £0.7m, I see what you did there, you are Alistair Campbell and I claim my £5.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:02 pm
Posted by FearTheVee on Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:02 pm
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 135
Rep Position: 174th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:57 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Much too far South
post wrote:
Wigan lost £650k and Saints lost £0.7m, I see what you did there, you are Alistair Campbell and I claim my £5.


Go on then, help me out with what this means?
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:06 pm
Posted by Pieman on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:06 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 215
Rep Position: 122nd / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Atherton
post wrote:
Wigan lost £650k and Saints lost £0.7m, I see what you did there, you are Alistair Campbell and I claim my £5.


but in that we got to the CC final and had the WCC at Wigan and won it.
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 pm
Posted by rubber duckie on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 pm
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1852
Rep Position: 1st / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 13974
Over the last couple of decades only 2 teams regularly made a profit. Leeds by some distance and Wire. Wigan often balanced the book and every other club have ran a loss.
As a sport we don't think we thank or recognise our investors and owners like Ken Davy etc enough.
once a wire always a wire
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:28 pm
Posted by Pieman on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:28 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 215
Rep Position: 122nd / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Atherton
rubber duckie wrote:
Over the last couple of decades only 2 teams regularly made a profit. Leeds by some distance and Wire. Wigan often balanced the book and every other club have ran a loss.
As a sport we don't think we thank or recognise our investors and owners like Ken Davy etc enough.


wire havent made a profit for a few years now. Mainly due to transfer fees though, Leeds do as its not just the rugby team its a collective
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:05 pm
Posted by ShortArse on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:05 pm
ShortArse User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 34
Rep Position: 270th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 20

Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:17 am
Posts: 2159
Location: bridgend
Pieman wrote:
wire havent made a profit for a few years now. Mainly due to transfer fees though, Leeds do as its not just the rugby team its a collective


yep. Wolves lost 260k in 2016 and 70k in 2017
Ah, good taste!
What a dreadful thing!
Taste is the enemy of creativeness.

Pablo Picasso
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm
Posted by post on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 177
Rep Position: 142nd / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 4698
FearTheVee wrote:
Go on then, help me out with what this means?


More spin than Shane Warne.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ashton Bears, Bing [Bot], jaws1 and 123 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,978,9541,33077,8924,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)