WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - More competitive than ever or just a poorer standard?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace More competitive than ever or just a poorer standard?

MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 2412
Ruune Rebellion wrote:
Given the amount of talent the much “lauded” Leeds academy has produced over the years they are within their right to sign who they want.

Coming from a Wakefield fan who’s team has never produced anyone of note in 400 years I would just shut my mouth if I were you

Blimey, thought I was getting on a bit!
Is your secret some special water from the Lake District, hence your visits to that part of the world.

Be careful what you say, John George Haigh was from Wakefield,
you could disappear without any trace being left.
Last edited by MorePlaymakersNeeded on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15093
ThePrinter wrote:
You clearly do begrudge players going where there’s more money buy you choose to blame the likes of Leeds or Wigan with that chip on the shoulder.

What the real reality is though is that these clubs AREN’T spending big as our SC has barely moved in 15 years and transfer fees rarely happen and no different to 20+ years ago.....what sport has seen that kind of inactivity in terms of money rising in the game. The problem isn’t that the big clubs can spend money.....the problem is the smaller clubs can’t even though we’ve let them stay in touch by the aforementioned lack of raise in the SC over a decade. The finger of blame for not being able to attract the best youngsters or make bigger signings should squarely be at the clubs who can’t afford to it....but easier for their fans to make excuses and blame the big bad bigger clubs for their own clubs shortcomings.


The shrinking salary cap (in real terms) has allowed the better off clubs to spend more on junior development, which is a good thing and should allow those players to reach somewhere close to their full potential.
The cash spent on junior development doesn't count on the cap, does it. This should mean that those with more brass in their pockets (Leeds, Wigan etc) SHOULD be developing way more juniors and to a better standard than the rest ?
Chips or no ships, this doesn't appear to be happening.

For the record, Trinity's failures, especially off field, go right back to the 60's and some of the management has been pitiful.
We haven't had any multi millionaires willing to fill the void and under the Wildcat moniker, it's fair to say that we are lucky to still be here.

Thankfully, although still right at the bottom if the SL spectrum in terms of revenue, we are, at least, solvent and IF we can maintain our position in SL, there should be some improvement in both the facilities, which is long, long, overdue and supporter numbers.

As for Leeds' troubles, they are likely to only be temporary but, despite their income, support, junior development and extremely deep pockets, they appear to have avoided the trap door and I'm sure their fans are delighted.
Their noisy neighbours ceratinly are :D

ThePrinter wrote:
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 11412
Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
wrencat1873 wrote:
The shrinking salary cap (in real terms) has allowed the better off clubs to spend more on junior development, which is a good thing and should allow those players to reach somewhere close to their full potential.
The cash spent on junior development doesn't count on the cap, does it. This should mean that those with more brass in their pockets (Leeds, Wigan etc) SHOULD be developing way more juniors and to a better standard than the rest ?
Chips or no ships, this doesn't appear to be happening.

For the record, Trinity's failures, especially off field, go right back to the 60's and some of the management has been pitiful.
We haven't had any multi millionaires willing to fill the void and under the Wildcat moniker, it's fair to say that we are lucky to still be here.

Thankfully, although still right at the bottom if the SL spectrum in terms of revenue, we are, at least, solvent and IF we can maintain our position in SL, there should be some improvement in both the facilities, which is long, long, overdue and supporter numbers.

As for Leeds' troubles, they are likely to only be temporary but, despite their income, support, junior development and extremely deep pockets, they appear to have avoided the trap door and I'm sure their fans are delighted.
Their noisy neighbours ceratinly are :D


So who exactly are producing better youngsters than the big clubs?

You can get a boat load of great youngsters in but ateotd you can only have so many in your first team squad. Whilst you may think Leeds always throw big money at academy players their was a period recently when we weren’t which coincided with lack of spend on first team squad too...both of which coincided with spending big on the stadium instead. No coincidence that Leeds’ best group of youngsters in a while are on the verge of coming through in the next season or two as well as marquee signings just after the stadium work is completed. But using your money to do up your stadium to a high quality standard with a load of money isn’t something a Wakefield fan would know anything about.
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Or thane wrote:
Or thane Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:42 pm
Posts: 1124
The standard has been pretty poor this year in my view, we're in second place at the moment with a very average looking squad at the moment. There have been a handfull of awesome games this year and a lot of very poor games.
Huddersfield1895 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:08 am
Posts: 1601
Certainly more competitive and i think mainly due the the threat of relegation

User avatarroofaldo2 wrote:
roofaldo2 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 pm
Posts: 3198
ThePrinter wrote:
So who exactly are producing better youngsters than the big clubs?

You can get a boat load of great youngsters in but ateotd you can only have so many in your first team squad. Whilst you may think Leeds always throw big money at academy players their was a period recently when we weren’t which coincided with lack of spend on first team squad too...both of which coincided with spending big on the stadium instead. No coincidence that Leeds’ best group of youngsters in a while are on the verge of coming through in the next season or two as well as marquee signings just after the stadium work is completed. But using your money to do up your stadium to a high quality standard with a load of money isn’t something a Wakefield fan would know anything about.


Bradford are producing plenty of quality youngsters.
In fact, going through SL teams, there's not many who don't have at least 1 in their squad as well as a number of clubs through the Championship as well.

User avatarWillzay wrote:
Willzay User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 10277
Ruune Rebellion wrote:

Coming from a Wakefield fan who’s team has never produced anyone of note in 400 years I would just shut my mouth if I were you


Oh no, only just the record points scorer when try’s were worth less and one of the finest forwards to put on an England shirt in Gareth Ellis. :STUPID:
Profit over Lives - The Tory way
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 2412
If only he'd worn a white shirt with a single red chevron on it, someone might have accepted this answer.

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Posts: 20575
Ruune Rebellion wrote:
Given the amount of talent the much “lauded” Leeds academy has produced over the years they are within their right to sign who they want.

Coming from a Wakefield fan who’s team has never produced anyone of note in 400 years I would just shut my mouth if I were you
400 years :lol:

I going to leave you with one name that will stick in your mind for ever, Neil Fox one of the greatest ever players to walk on a rugby field who played for 23 years and setting rugby league's all-time points record scoring 6,220 points at a time when tries was 3 pts not 4 like they are now, this record will never be beaten

Wakefield Trinity will live on for ever for having the highest points scorer ever
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 2412
Dave Topliss
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CM Punk, Darwinsdad, Donnyman, Jack Burton, Kevs Head, Les Norton, mean_machine, Wellsy13 and 95 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,105,31193578,3624,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X