u RLFANS.COM - The World's Most Popular Rugby League Website WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Leeds & Relegation
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:06 pm
Posted by rubber duckie on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:06 pm
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1926
Rep Position: 1st / 77,993

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 14422
Rupert Slazenger wrote:
Only because it would give one of the smaller teams a better chance of winning the league at long , long last . 8)

What do you mean 'smaller team'?
Smaller club?... lessor reputation?... lower fan base?
once a wire always a wire
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:35 am
Posted by Cherry_&_White on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:35 am
Cherry_&_White User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 63
Rep Position: 251st / 77,993

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:57 am
Posts: 206
Leeds would be back in no time, and it wouldn't do too much damage to them in terms of fanbase/what they'll bring to the game. It might even invigorate them with a clean break with what has been all in all a dreadful few years of drift for them.

Undoubtedly bad for the game's appeal to a mass audience, but I wouldn't entertain any ideas of changing the structure to keep them in. Same with a lot the discussions with licencing a few years back, we have to ask some of the fundamental questions about what sport is there for. Fair competition, rewarding success without prejudice. I said the same when we almost got relegated, it would've been a disgrace if it was manufactured that we stayed up just because of our name.

It would be hilarious for a few weeks, bad overall, but ultimately I don't think it will happen anyway. We had quite a bit more than them at headingly the other week, but they had some big physical units which caused us some real problems, even if the quality wasn't there. The likes of Merrin, Hurrell, Singleton, even Cuthbertson will see them over the line in my view, still worry for London over the course of a full season.
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:13 pm
Posted by sergeant pepper on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:13 pm
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 114
Rep Position: 204th / 77,993

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 1407
Location: In the sky with diamonds
Cherry_&_White wrote:

Undoubtedly bad for the game's appeal to a mass audience, but I wouldn't entertain any ideas of changing the structure to keep them in. Same with a lot the discussions with licencing a few years back, we have to ask some of the fundamental questions about what sport is there for. Fair competition, rewarding success without prejudice. I said the same when we almost got relegated, it would've been a disgrace if it was manufactured that we stayed up just because of our name.


Hand on my heart I think I'd prefer a closed shop like the NRL.

The yoyo effect of P&R isn't good for anyone apart from a very small minority of clubs who can handle it. Teams like Leigh, Widnes and Bradford have all heavily suffered because of it (not the only issue they all faced tho).

I'd ideally like to see 12 or 14 teams all playing out of decent modern stadiums, with academies and enough revenue to support a decent & competitive playing squad. The only way to get that imo is by making some tough choices, closing the doors and letting them strengthen. A competitive league that's of a decent standard will increase viewing figures and in turn the revenue generated by it.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm
Posted by Fantastic Mr Catpiss on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 583
Rep Position: 29th / 77,993

Quiz Score: 208

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:35 pm
Posts: 36773
sergeant pepper wrote:
Hand on my heart I think I'd prefer a closed shop like the NRL.

The yoyo effect of P&R isn't good for anyone apart from a very small minority of clubs who can handle it. Teams like Leigh, Widnes and Bradford have all heavily suffered because of it (not the only issue they all faced tho).

I'd ideally like to see 12 or 14 teams all playing out of decent modern stadiums, with academies and enough revenue to support a decent & competitive playing squad. The only way to get that imo is by making some tough choices, closing the doors and letting them strengthen. A competitive league that's of a decent standard will increase viewing figures and in turn the revenue generated by it.



I'd agree with this, maybe close it at 14 for now, and say to those outside if they really REALLY want to sit at the top table, they need to take some time to take it seriously, likewise to certain others in SL.

The problem we've had in recent past is teams that were lurking around outside SL promotion were flawed, fev would never have succeeded in SL, whitehaven (going a bit further back)were planning on staying part time if they got promoted.

Start taking your business seriously.(not yours, the royal your)
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:01 pm
Posted by jaws1 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:01 pm
jaws1 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 261st / 77,993

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:40 pm
Posts: 684
Can they increase it to 14 clubs mid term was it not set in stone there would be one club relegated at seasons end this was agreed with and voted on with all the RL clubs taking part. Reminds me of Brexit the vote was to come out of the EU now they want another vote to stay in.
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:09 pm
Posted by sergeant pepper on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:09 pm
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 114
Rep Position: 204th / 77,993

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 1407
Location: In the sky with diamonds
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:
I'd agree with this, maybe close it at 14 for now, and say to those outside if they really REALLY want to sit at the top table, they need to take some time to take it seriously, likewise to certain others in SL.

The problem we've had in recent past is teams that were lurking around outside SL promotion were flawed, fev would never have succeeded in SL, whitehaven (going a bit further back)were planning on staying part time if they got promoted.

Start taking your business seriously.(not yours, the royal your)


Spot on.

Let's not kid ourselves that there's this enormous pool of teams all knocking on the door to be big SL clubs. There's some traditional clubs that are simply big only in name & when you scratch under the surface they simply don't have the resources or infrastructure to do anything of note.

I really do think the game has flip flopped around enough and it's time to draw a line in the sand and say to some current SL sides - look you've got five years and it's make or break time, not only for you, but for the game as a whole in the UK. Invest in youth and facilities instead of playing the blame game and if you do that everyone we'll all prosper.

It's never going to happen tho as those without the vision to be the best have the largest say in the league.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:11 pm
Posted by sergeant pepper on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:11 pm
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 114
Rep Position: 204th / 77,993

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 1407
Location: In the sky with diamonds
jaws1 wrote:
Can they increase it to 14 clubs mid term was it not set in stone there would be one club relegated at seasons end this was agreed with and voted on with all the RL clubs taking part. Reminds me of Brexit the vote was to come out of the EU now they want another vote to stay in.


It's not too far to think that next season we could have Toronto, Catalan, London and Hudds in the same league. It might seem harsh, but where are the fans of these clubs? That's four home games with even less atmosphere than normal - what does that look like to the casual viewer?
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pm
Posted by Singing Warrior on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pm
Singing Warrior User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 25
Rep Position: 289th / 77,993

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:28 pm
Posts: 316
Location: Under the thumb
I don't think Leeds will be relegated but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest should I be wrong. Assuming they do go down and their players become available are any of them worth making a play for.
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:19 pm
Posted by MR FRISK on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:19 pm
MR FRISK Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 39
Rep Position: 275th / 77,993

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:25 pm
Posts: 1838
If they do relegated i think its because of spending too much on upgrading the ground and also bad Managers and players that cant play properely
Re: Leeds & Relegation
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:46 pm
Posted by The Whiffy Kipper on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:46 pm
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 359
Rep Position: 68th / 77,993

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am
Posts: 1065
Singing Warrior wrote:
I don't think Leeds will be relegated but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest should I be wrong. Assuming they do go down and their players become available are any of them worth making a play for.

Big Konnie and throw him on the wing
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MelbourneWarrior, post, Redvee69 and 131 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,012,6022,55177,9934,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TODAY 15:00
 CH1
LONDON SKOLARS
v
CRUSADERS
TODAY 18:00
SL
TORONTO
v
ST.HELENS
TOMORROW 15:00
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
TOMORROW 15:00
SL
HULL FC
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
TOMORROW 15:00
SL
SALFORD
v
WAKEFIELD
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
SHEFFIELD
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
YORK
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
LONDON BRONCOS
v
FEATHERSTONE
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
OLDHAM
v
BRADFORD BULLS
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
SWINTON LIONS
v
LEIGH
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
WHITEHAVEN
v
TOULOUSE
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH1
COVENTRY BEARS
v
NEWCASTLE
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH1
DONCASTER
v
BARROW RAIDERS
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH1
WEST WALES
v
HUNSLET
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH1
WORKINGTON TOWN
v
KEIGHLEY
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)