WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 1894 Cup
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Wed May 15, 2019 2:49 pm
Posted by griff1998 on Wed May 15, 2019 2:49 pm
griff1998 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 122
Rep Position: 180th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 348

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 pm
Posts: 5159
the fax in asia wrote:
3 games in 8 days ?


Gosh - like it's never happened before. :BEAT:

Same for us - we've got the Widnes game to fit in.

For whoever wins - it'll happen again three weeks later.

It's like having three Easters in a year.
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Wed May 15, 2019 3:38 pm
Posted by Hudd-Shay on Wed May 15, 2019 3:38 pm
Hudd-Shay User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 381
Rep Position: 55th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:33 am
Posts: 3461
Location: Shuddersfield
griff1998 wrote:
Gosh - like it's never happened before. :BEAT:

Same for us - we've got the Widnes game to fit in.

For whoever wins - it'll happen again three weeks later.

It's like having three Easters in a year.

There's a difference between watching and playing, especially for part time players.
Hear All, See All, Say Nowt.
Eat All, Sup All, Pay Nowt.
And if Tha ever does Owt for Nowt,
Allus do it for Thissen.
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Wed May 15, 2019 4:57 pm
Posted by griff1998 on Wed May 15, 2019 4:57 pm
griff1998 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 122
Rep Position: 180th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 348

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 pm
Posts: 5159
Hudd-Shay wrote:
There's a difference between watching and playing, especially for part time players.


Not sure what point was being made here - I was assuming it was poor old Fax having to play three games in eight days - just like Sheffield. :roll:

But - as you've raised it, I couldn't agree with you more. The 1895 Cup is fundamentally flawed

1. It's on after the big game, not before, so there'll be a (relatively) few fans rattling around in a 80,000 capacity stadium.

2. There's no sponsor so the financials are crippling

3. There's no room in the calendar for rounds 2 and 3 so they're shoe-horned in between weekend rounds.

Apart from that - smashing idea. :?
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 pm
Posted by HXSparky on Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 pm
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 213
Rep Position: 117th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 96

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 1947
griff1998 wrote:
Not sure what point was being made here - I was assuming it was poor old Fax having to play three games in eight days - just like Sheffield. :roll:

But - as you've raised it, I couldn't agree with you more. The 1895 Cup is fundamentally flawed

1. It's on after the big game, not before, so there'll be a (relatively) few fans rattling around in a 80,000 capacity stadium.

2. There's no sponsor so the financials are crippling

3. There's no room in the calendar for rounds 2 and 3 so they're shoe-horned in between weekend rounds.

Apart from that - smashing idea. :?


As a curtain raiser the the CC final, with a properly thought out schedule for the games, it might have been a decent idea (sort of a Northern Rail cup final... down south). The NRC had the added bonus of giving a "tick" for a franchise though, and without something else as a "carrot" it's hard to see how it could be a resounding success any which way.
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Thu May 16, 2019 11:48 am
Posted by Pumpetypump on Thu May 16, 2019 11:48 am
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 294
Rep Position: 81st / 77,889

Quiz Score: 320

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:55 pm
Posts: 7075
Location: LS9

Hudd-Shay wrote:
I would just give it away if possible. A pointless competition now.


The problem is, what if Bradford feel the same. We could both try and throw it, play the kids and it finishes 64-60.
Last edited by Pumpetypump on Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 am
Posted by griff1998 on Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 am
griff1998 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 122
Rep Position: 180th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 348

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 pm
Posts: 5159
HXSparky wrote:
As a curtain raiser the the CC final, with a properly thought out schedule for the games, it might have been a decent idea (sort of a Northern Rail cup final... down south). The NRC had the added bonus of giving a "tick" for a franchise though, and without something else as a "carrot" it's hard to see how it could be a resounding success any which way.


It's clearly about helping to fill Wembley. Which is ironic as that's the last thing it'll be by the time the 1895 final kicks off.
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Thu May 16, 2019 11:54 am
Posted by griff1998 on Thu May 16, 2019 11:54 am
griff1998 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 122
Rep Position: 180th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 348

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 pm
Posts: 5159
Pumpetypump wrote:
The problem is, what if Bradford feel the same. We could both try and throw it, play the kids and it finishes 64-60.


Bradford ?

You think they're not interested in the Challenge Cup ?
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 pm
Posted by Pumpetypump on Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 pm
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 294
Rep Position: 81st / 77,889

Quiz Score: 320

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:55 pm
Posts: 7075
Location: LS9

griff1998 wrote:
Bradford ?

You think they're not interested in the Challenge Cup ?


Sorry that was clumsily worded. We could both try and throw our respective 1895 semi finals depending on which one of us prevails in the challenge cup.
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 pm
Posted by griff1998 on Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 pm
griff1998 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 122
Rep Position: 180th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 348

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 pm
Posts: 5159
Pumpetypump wrote:
Sorry that was clumsily worded. We could both try and throw our respective 1895 semi finals depending on which one of us prevails in the challenge cup.


Dunno what you're trying to say. Whoever wins the QF gets a shot at Wembley in the Challenge Cup on the Saturday. If they lose that, they'll get another go in the 1895 Cup on the Wednesday after - if they're still in it.

If you get that far, why would you want to "throw" your 1895 Cup SF ? :?

What player doesn't want to be able to say he played at Wembley ? Even if it is only in front of a dozen folk ?
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!
Re: 1894 Cup
Post Thu May 16, 2019 1:46 pm
Posted by muttley cat on Thu May 16, 2019 1:46 pm
muttley cat Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 84
Rep Position: 215th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:35 pm
Posts: 13355
Location: Lost
Only the RFL could shoot themselves in the foot like this.

This is clearly the real reason I believe that Toronto was excluded from the CC this year but in typical British, sorry European..erm with Canadian, let's agree to call it Northern hemisphere rugby league irony 1 part time champ team will have a one off shot at the challenge Cup final. Meaning that one team might end up being in 2 finals.

Thank the rugby gods that these 2 part time championship clubs actually run a reserve grades.

But I have to put out the obvious here , if the reserves play and get far , if they got to Wembley and the more likely events take place in the semis of the CC then will the first grade sit back and allow the kids to play at Wembley whilst they watch their in some cases last chance past them by.
Alive n kicking
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hudd-Shay, jeffvickers and 63 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Halifax - FaxFans.co.uk


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,977,9791,68877,8894,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TOMORROW 07:30
GB
PNG
v
GB LIONS
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 16:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
HULL FC
Thu 6th Feb 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
ST.HELENS
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
HULL FC
v
HULL KR
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)