Post Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am
Posted by hengirl on Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am
hengirl Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 206
Rep Position: 132nd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Hope so, and yes it could happen. Just looking at current performances we seem to be a million miles off the end of 2018. On what we know from performances this season, would you honestly give Lam a long term job?

Give Lam the job long term? Not a chance I hope I’m wrong but Ive seen nothing to think he’s the man to rebuild Wigan,other than he’s the man in charge at the moment.
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 8:56 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Fri May 03, 2019 8:56 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 502
Rep Position: 38th / 77,905

Bigredwarrior wrote:
I think there’s two sides to this.

Firstly to answer your question, yes I’d like Lam to be given the job long term. At least 2 more years. We’ve seen some scintillating attack in glimpses (1st half against Cas for example) and we’ve seen that we can defend, keeping two teams tryless for example. What we need to see is both elements put together consistently. To do that, we’ll need some consistency in the 17. I’m not using the injuries as an excuse but I do consider it a mitigating factor.

Secondly and I think just as importantly, is would I want the job if I was Adrian Lam? The negativity towards him is huge and he must surely see and feel it. Furthermore, I’d be asking the chairman what resources were available to me and what caliber of player could I bring to the club?

Without resources I’d say any coach coming in is on a hiding to nothing.

I think the attack is actually gone down hill under Lam, at times Cas first half and v Cats we've moved the ball around well. But that's about it. In opposition the attack has looked amateur, very flat with players looking like they don't have a clue.
Sadly, so far, I've seen very little in terms of attack under Lam, which is most concerning as that's meant to be his area to improve the most.
Post Fri May 03, 2019 8:58 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Fri May 03, 2019 8:58 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 502
Rep Position: 38th / 77,905

hengirl wrote:
Give Lam the job long term? Not a chance I hope I’m wrong but Ive seen nothing to think he’s the man to rebuild Wigan,other than he’s the man in charge at the moment.

I hope I'm wrong but I can only look at facts and not what might happen. So far we look a shell of what we once was.
Post Fri May 03, 2019 8:58 am
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Fri May 03, 2019 8:58 am
WARRIOR5 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 107
Rep Position: 209th / 77,905

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Players and coach not good enough for me.
Glad for the 2 points because I genuinely believe we are still relegation candidates but apart from that totally flat with the club at the moment.
Hardaker incapable of a break, soft pack and not a move in us.

You’re a chirpy one, aren’t you? As for relegation candidates we’re now on double the points of London and I don’t see them winning many more games this season.

As for Hardaker being incapable of a break. Last night wasn’t his best attacking performance though he was defensively very good again, but you must be forgetting his break for the winning try against Salford.
Post Fri May 03, 2019 9:00 am
Posted by post on Fri May 03, 2019 9:00 am
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 181
Rep Position: 147th / 77,905

hengirl wrote:

Absolutely no chance I’d want Lam either, he’s been dealt a bad hand with injuries but the lack of organisation on field says it all, we need someone with a little more experience.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Post Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 am
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 am

NickyKiss wrote:
The issue I have is Lam has used returning players as a life raft but realistically there’s only Faz who’ll be back this season who would make a major difference. He said last night Clubb is back for the Wire game but I’m not sure we should risk him. He looked totally unfit and sluggish before his knee injury, so it’s tough to see how he’ll cope with the pace of a CC tie against Wire.

I think Sammut is a huge difference. There were many signs of the attack Lam promised in the Catalan game then first twenty minutes of the Cas game until he got injured. Was pretty telling that everything fell apart when he went off.

He looks like a good organiser and brings the best out of George, also massively improved our kicking game. His impact, whilst brief has been severely underrated because of the preconception of a championship player.
Post Fri May 03, 2019 9:04 am
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Fri May 03, 2019 9:04 am

post wrote:
Absolutely no chance I’d want Lam either, he’s been dealt a bad hand with injuries but the lack of organisation on field says it all, we need someone with a little more experience.

Personally I wouldn’t say that’s down to Lam. Williams is simply not an organiser and I’ve not been too impressed with Shorrocks. There was a huge difference when Sammut was on controlling the play.
Post Fri May 03, 2019 9:08 am
Posted by post on Fri May 03, 2019 9:08 am
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 181
Rep Position: 147th / 77,905

WARRIOR5 wrote:
Personally I wouldn’t say that’s down to Lam. Williams is simply not an organiser and I’ve not been too impressed with Shorrocks. There was a huge difference when Sammut was on controlling the play.

True. It probably says a lot about Wigan’s scouting and junior development, they’re only bringing through “pivots” with no nous rather than developing proper halfbacks.

I saw this last season with regards scholarships, they had their pick of 3 halfbacks. 1 was a very good organiser who would organise the team all game, 1 was a very good ball player and was a genius pass selector and the other was a quiet but well behaved lad, they signed the well behaved lad and binned the other two off.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Post Fri May 03, 2019 9:18 am
Posted by Egg Chasing on Fri May 03, 2019 9:18 am
Egg Chasing Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 248th / 77,905

I'd like to judge Lam after a few weeks of seeing the same 17 (who are all still available at the end) and if possible close to our best 17. Very hard to see what he has brought to the table from the sides we have had out, but the Catalans win was one of the best attacking displays in years if that is any indication and the first half against Cas we were solid in attack until Sammut went off.
Post Fri May 03, 2019 9:27 am
Posted by CobraCraig on Fri May 03, 2019 9:27 am
CobraCraig Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 226
Rep Position: 119th / 77,905

Pieman wrote:
Wane never had a team this bad

He arguably had a worse team to pick from the season before last and we came 6th.
PreviousNext