WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Salford's tiny fan base: how can the club survive?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Salford's tiny fan base: how can the club survive?

Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 pm
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 730
Rep Position: 14th / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

At their first home game, coming straight after their comprehensive first round win against Huddersfield, Salford were only able to attract an attendance of 3,236. Assuming that London might have brought 236 supporters (at the most), that figure means that Salford could only have attracted approximately 3,000 of their own fans. This suggests that Salford are in dire straits, with the second lowest fan base in Super League, despite being located in a heartland area. It means that the club is running heavy financial losses based just upon attendance revenue (ticket sales and probably even merchandise sales).

It raises questions as to the long term or even medium term prospects for the club in Super League. Marwan Koukash, with all of his fortune, gave up on Salford as a business project, despite his love for the game. Who else would then dare to pour money into the club? The fans are too few to sustain the club. If no other "white knight" will come forward, how will the club survive?
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Posted by GUBRATS on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 pm
GUBRATS User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 320
Rep Position: 74th / 77,841

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
At their first home game, coming straight after their comprehensive first round win against Huddersfield, Salford were only able to attract an attendance of 3,236. Assuming that London might have brought 236 supporters (at the most), that figure means that Salford could only have attracted approximately 3,000 of their own fans. This suggests that Salford are in dire straits, with the second lowest fan base in Super League, despite being located in a heartland area. It means that the club is running heavy financial losses based just upon attendance revenue (ticket sales and probably even merchandise sales).

It raises questions as to the long term or even medium term prospects for the club in Super League. Marwan Koukash, with all of his fortune, gave up on Salford as a business project, despite his love for the game. Who else would then dare to pour money into the club? The fans are too few to sustain the club. If no other "white knight" will come forward, how will the club survive?

Why do you care ?
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb
Posted by Cokey on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 892
Rep Position: 7th / 77,841

Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
GUBRATS wrote:
Why do you care ?

Because he can't help being a contentious t***, and spewing out derogatory comments to cause trouble.
Posted by Khlav Kalash on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:03 pm
Khlav Kalash User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 284
Rep Position: 86th / 77,841

Kev, Salford are doing just fine. It makes me smile they're pissing you off so much.
1/10
Posted by Budgiezilla on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:18 pm
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 704
Rep Position: 15th / 77,841

Quiz Score: 224

When I saw the post, I knew who had started it without looking......Pathetic Jean.
I reckon Bournemouth should be kicked out of the Premier League, because they only average crowds of under 11,000.
Keep up the good work Salford !!!
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Posted by wrencat1873 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1112
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,841

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

Really strange post Jean.

Last week you were bigging up London who achieved around 2k for their first home game and half of those were from Wakefield.
If they continue their 100% record, they'll have a full house by the end of the season.

Are you just feeling a little down after the result :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted by Freddie Miller. on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:38 pm
Freddie Miller. Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 166
Rep Position: 148th / 77,841

Budgiezilla wrote:
When I saw the post, I knew who had started it without looking......Pathetic Jean.
I reckon Bournemouth should be kicked out of the Premier League, because they only average crowds of under 11,000.
Keep up the good work Salford !!!

Stretching a long bow there with the comparison. Bournemouth receive well over a 100 million quid a season from TV rights in the PL so heading towards half a billion quid in their time there. Plus currently owned by a Russian multi millionaire!
Posted by Upanunder on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:42 pm
Upanunder User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 218
Rep Position: 115th / 77,841

Salford get it because they beat London
If ya can't beat em, remove em, that's douzies mantra

It'll be HKR's turn in a couple of weeks, and 3 days later...Wakey

lol

There is no end to the scope for high capacity diatribe production.
I'm sure there must be some way to gather all this slug snot in to one thread and stop it stinking the gaff out.
Posted by CM Punk on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:44 pm
CM Punk User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 115
Rep Position: 185th / 77,841

Salford must be removed from Super League because it's the worst traffic I have experienced at a game, even Wembley & Old Trafford were easier to get away from.

Salford out! :wink:
Wigan RLFC
Posted by Call Me God on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 am
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 945
Rep Position: 6th / 77,841

JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Next