WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - NFL sell out Wembley *again* !

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace NFL sell out Wembley *again* !

Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:00 am
Posted by Ruune Rebellion on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:00 am
Ruune Rebellion User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 541
Rep Position: 30th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

At the risk of taking the thread in a different direction, has the emergence of smart phones and next gen consoles lead to the dwindling participation at grass roots level of not only rugby league but sunday league football?
The Leigh and Wakefield fans mentality......

Say something negative about any other team than theirs - Its an opinion

Say something negative about Leigh and Wakefield - TROLL
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am
Posted by puroresu_boy on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am
puroresu_boy Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 46
Rep Position: 268th / 77,905

Ruune Rebellion wrote:
At the risk of taking the thread in a different direction, has the emergence of smart phones and next gen consoles lead to the dwindling participation at grass roots level of not only rugby league but sunday league football?

Not convinced. These things exist all over the world.
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 am
Posted by bren2k on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 am
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 633
Rep Position: 18th / 77,905

Ruune Rebellion wrote:

Did the emergence of Space Invaders, ZX81's, Atari Consoles and Nintendo Gameboys lead to the same?

This is the world we live in - the poster who suggests embracing and exploiting technology for the benefit of the game is quite correct; trying to resist it is no more than tilting at windmills, and reinforces the perception of RL as an anachronistic dinosaur pastime from a bygone era.
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am
Posted by Fantastic Mr Catpiss on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 554
Rep Position: 28th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 208

bramleyrhino wrote:
Whatever you think of video games, the reality is that it's a large part of the lives of a lot of young people.

Major football and NFL clubs aren't investing heavily in e-sports (and top e-sports players aren't earning more than some Premier League footballers) because its a fad. They're doing it because it's a way to connect with a notoriously hard to reach audience.

You can complain about "kids on their PlayStations / phones all day long" but if that is the way the wind is blowing, it's not good news for the courier of this sport if it doesn't / can't respond to that trend.

Thank you, thats the point I was making, and sort of connecting back to my point on the first page, and the grass roots laid by john madden football on the mega drive
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am
Posted by Fantastic Mr Catpiss on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 554
Rep Position: 28th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 208

bren2k wrote:
Did the emergence of Space Invaders, ZX81's, Atari Consoles and Nintendo Gameboys lead to the same?

This is the world we live in - the poster who suggests embracing and exploiting technology for the benefit of the game is quite correct; trying to resist it is no more than tilting at windmills, and reinforces the perception of RL as an anachronistic dinosaur pastime from a bygone era.

Exactly
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 pm
Posted by Seth on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 pm
Seth Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 253
Rep Position: 103rd / 77,905

The damaging impact of technology overuse on the social and emotional wellbeing of children is frightening, whether any organisation would exercise caution or integrity over cashing in on what are essentially addictions is another matter.
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 945
Rep Position: 6th / 77,905

Seth wrote:
The damaging impact of technology overuse on the social and emotional wellbeing of children is frightening, whether any organisation would exercise caution or integrity over cashing in on what are essentially addictions is another matter.

Parenting is more key now that it ever was. I take my 4 year old son to the park every weekend and throw a ball about....but even with me trying to limit his "screen time" it is nigh on impossible to hold back the technological wave.....he can unlock my phone, has netflix and youtube on the TV sorted....it's terrifying to think that 50 years ago, the only worry my mum had was me falling out of a tree....whilst my biggest concern is getting my son to play outside at all.
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 pm
Posted by Seth on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 pm
Seth Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 253
Rep Position: 103rd / 77,905

Call Me God wrote:
Parenting is more key now that it ever was. I take my 4 year old son to the park every weekend and throw a ball about....but even with me trying to limit his "screen time" it is nigh on impossible to hold back the technological wave.....he can unlock my phone, has netflix and youtube on the TV sorted....it's terrifying to think that 50 years ago, the only worry my mum had was me falling out of a tree....whilst my biggest concern is getting my son to play outside at all.

It’s something I see everyday and try and influence through my work. I’ve a 6 month old and have told family and friends not to buy a plastic mobile phone as it’ll go in the bin. I hate seeing families out in restaurants with the kids on tablets, it’s awful.
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm
Posted by Ruune Rebellion on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Seth wrote:
It’s something I see everyday and try and influence through my work. I’ve a 6 month old and have told family and friends not to buy a plastic mobile phone as it’ll go in the bin. I hate seeing families out in restaurants with the kids on tablets, it’s awful.

Why is it awful?

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 pm
Posted by Ruune Rebellion on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 pm
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

As for “don’t buy a plastic mobile” lol. You and your 6 months of parenting expertise are really showing us something. You do realise that phones, of any sort, are integral to a child’s imagination. As the saying goes “if a child offers you a phone, you answer it”. Any more pearls of wisdom from your 6 months of being a parent?

PreviousNext