WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tom Johnstone
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 am
Posted by Phuzzy on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 am
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 290
Rep Position: 90th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 3608
Location: Just about to go do some work!
vastman wrote:
What a crock of crap - it's nothing to do with Trinity it's very simple Johnstone is the best in form winger in SL and more than worthy of consideration END OF!!!

English fans need to grow uo and stop with the big club small club crap which in fairness all eminates from Leeds, Wigan and Saints fans who seem terrified of losing the 'status' as they see it.

I'd love every Trin player to be International class but they are not as indeed most Saints players arn't for example. Johnstone can't be called an international class player but only because he hasn't been tested. Once tested we'll know and now with Hall out TJ is the best available left sided winger after the injured Hall.

It's not rocket science and it's nothing to do with stadiums, income streams, past history or any of the other nonesense on here. RL fans are pathetic, only interested in creating heroes out of there own players whilst rubishing any that don't conform to there prejudice.

International players are all about the individual not the team they play for - it's there form that counts not that of the team they play for.


I thought I must have just read a different thread when I saw that so I went back and checked. There are 3 comments from Wigan fans. 1 agrees TJ should get a place, 1 asks a question (wasn't he dropped earlier in the season) with no further comment and 1 supports the view that it shouldn't matter which club a player is from. How's that chip on your shoulder?

For what it's worth (even though Wigan fans' views shouldn't count as we're all clearly biased against Trinity!) is that the wing spots are the incumbent's to lose, as they have all performed to a high standard, including Makinson on his debut. After that TJ is probably next in line and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make the squad in the upcoming tests and should get a game if England opt for Makinson in the centres again.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:07 am
Posted by King Street Cat on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:07 am
King Street Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 229
Rep Position: 116th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 268

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 am
Posts: 3500
Location: WF4
JonnoTheGreat wrote:
After a few early season wins against some of the weaker sides in SL, 'Wakey' fans were all over their board discussing 'are we a big club again'.


1 thread started by 1 poster if I recall.
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:39 am
Posted by Lebron James on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:39 am
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 204
Rep Position: 133rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:32 pm
Posts: 1946
Tom Johnstone has missed nearly a quarter of the tackles he has attempted. This is why he wont get near an England shirt. That is an embarassing stat

Regards

King James
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:47 am
Posted by ThePrinter on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:47 am
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 655
Rep Position: 17th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 11412
Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
vastman wrote:
What a crock of crap - it's nothing to do with Trinity it's very simple Johnstone is the best in form winger in SL and more than worthy of consideration END OF!!!

English fans need to grow uo and stop with the big club small club crap which in fairness all eminates from Leeds, Wigan and Saints fans who seem terrified of losing the 'status' as they see it.

I'd love every Trin player to be International class but they are not as indeed most Saints players arn't for example. Johnstone can't be called an international class player but only because he hasn't been tested. Once tested we'll know and now with Hall out TJ is the best available left sided winger after the injured Hall.

It's not rocket science and it's nothing to do with stadiums, income streams, past history or any of the other nonesense on here. RL fans are pathetic, only interested in creating heroes out of there own players whilst rubishing any that don't conform to there prejudice.

International players are all about the individual not the team they play for - it's there form that counts not that of the team they play for.


I agree with that last sentence. Problem was at the very start of this thread you had someone say he was the best winger in the last 18 months and try highlight how he still hasn’t been capped. When it was correctly pointed out that he was injured for half of that time and England have barely played a game where he was fit in the last 2 seasons some including yourself took objection to this replying “what’s that got to do with anything”.

Everything else you wrote is laughable as Wakefield are the worst for the big club small club nonsense and on the Kohnstone thread on your own board you say “in a fair world he’d get a crack” whilst another says the only thing that might hold him back is that he doesn’t play for a fashionable club. Obviously has to be these sort of reasons when a Wakefield player doesn’t get picked and not because other players are better

That line you wrote about creating heroes from your own players whilst criticising any that don’t conform to your prejudices is certainly true but you need to look in the mirror when thinking of that line.
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:04 pm
Posted by tigertot on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:04 pm
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 594
Rep Position: 20th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 308

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 16970
Location: Olicana - Home of 'Vark Slayer
Lebron James wrote:
Tom Johnstone has missed nearly a quarter of the tackles he has attempted. This is why he wont get near an England shirt. That is an embarassing stat

Regards

King James


Ahem. Ben Barba. Ahem.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:44 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:44 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1148
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12688
ThePrinter wrote:
I agree with that last sentence. Problem was at the very start of this thread you had someone say he was the best winger in the last 18 months and try highlight how he still hasn’t been capped. When it was correctly pointed out that he was injured for half of that time and England have barely played a game where he was fit in the last 2 seasons some including yourself took objection to this replying “what’s that got to do with anything”.

Everything else you wrote is laughable as Wakefield are the worst for the big club small club nonsense and on the Kohnstone thread on your own board you say “in a fair world he’d get a crack” whilst another says the only thing that might hold him back is that he doesn’t play for a fashionable club. Obviously has to be these sort of reasons when a Wakefield player doesn’t get picked and not because other players are better

That line you wrote about creating heroes from your own players whilst criticising any that don’t conform to your prejudices is certainly true but you need to look in the mirror when thinking of that line.


Disagree with this Pinter old boy.
There is absolutely no doubt that players from the "big four" do get a better than even crack of the whip when it comes to England selection and partly this may be fair, as generally they have more "big game" experience which weighs heavily in their favour, just as previous form for England (or whoever) form also puts a huge tick in the plus column.
Kevin Brown and George Williams are good examples of this, with Brown moving from Widnes to Warrington and then making it into the Englans set up, almost instantly and there are numerous others over the years.
Players like Ashurst would have certainly made the Knights had he been at a more fashionable club. I know the Knights are more diverse in their club make up than the full England side but, the point still stands.
Last edited by wrencat1873 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:51 pm
Posted by vastman on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:51 pm
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 957
Rep Position: 4th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 28950
Location: Poodle Power!
Lebron James wrote:
Tom Johnstone has missed nearly a quarter of the tackles he has attempted. This is why he wont get near an England shirt. That is an embarassing stat

Regards

King James


Please provide a link to this stat please and we can then examine it.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:06 pm
Posted by tigertot on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:06 pm
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 594
Rep Position: 20th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 308

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 16970
Location: Olicana - Home of 'Vark Slayer
wrencat1873 wrote:
Kevin Brown and George Williams are good examples of this, with Brown moving from Widnes to Warrington and then making it into the Englans set up, almost instantly and there are numerous others over the years.
Players like Ashurst would have certainly made the Knights had he been at a more fashionable club. I know the Knights are more diverse in their club make up than the full England side but, the point still stands.


Matty Smith is the prime example.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:34 pm
Posted by craig hkr on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:34 pm
craig hkr Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 344
Rep Position: 69th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 2097
You don't really know how a player will fare at international level without giving them a fair crack at it Id argue Mcgilvarry has exceeded expectations and performed better for England than many first thought? Hall has been consistently good but as stated is getting older and now injured so the likes of Eden ,Johnstone ,3 x Wigan wingers all merit looking at.Charnley and Lineham also have a case but it depends how much Bennett wants them making metres in own half or scoring tries (Ok ideally both).Our back 5 last tournament only Watkins could go full length. Hall and Jerry are mega solid but not rapid.Johnstone for me looks the best of the bunch and deserves a shot imo. If Hardaker keeps nose clean and gets back to speed then we have some real strike in the backs
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 pm
Posted by ThePrinter on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 pm
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 655
Rep Position: 17th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 11412
Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
wrencat1873 wrote:
Disagree with this Pinter old boy.
There is absolutely no doubt that players from the "big four" do get a better than even crack of the whip when it comes to England selection and partly this may be fair, as generally they have more "big game" experience which weighs heavily in their favour, just as previous form for England (or whoever) form also puts a huge tick in the plus column.
Kevin Brown and George Williams are good examples of this, with Brown moving from Widnes to Warrington and then making it into the Englans set up, almost instantly and there are numerous others over the years.
Players like Ashurst would have certainly made the Knights had he been at a more fashionable club. I know the Knights are more diverse in their club make up than the full England side but, the point still stands.


Kevin Brown played for England in November 2016 vs Australia whilst a Widnes player, Warrington signed him the following month when Sandow went AWOL. (Also played in 2010 whilst at Hudds)

Ashurst won’t be in the Knights squad because of his age. He’ll be turning 29 this Autumn and you should look at the other players ages in the Knights squad instead of what club they play for. Playing for Wakefield hasn’t stopped the Knights picking the 25 year old Reece Lynn.

A few Hudds players played for England when they were top 4 regulars and Cas players getting in too so you don’t have to be at the “big boys” to get in.
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: craig hkr, Fishermanscap, Google Adsense [Bot], Leyther14, reffy, roopy and 235 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,985,7681,60777,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)