WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Who will replace Widnes: Toronto, Toulouse or London?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Who will replace Widnes: Toronto, Toulouse or London?


User avatarCall Me God wrote:
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 2921
Budgiezilla wrote:
:SHOOT: :SHOOT: :SHOOT: :SHOOT: :SHOOT:


Sorry, but he's right.

If we'd stuck with licences, Wales and quite possibly Bradford would have folded and imploded, to be replaced by "in all probability" Leigh and Fev or Fax. Del Boy would have been able to invest in other things other than trying to buy a place in SL and we'd have a 14 team SL with 2 new applications from Toronto and Toulouse to consider, resulting in 16 Professional full time sides.......no matter what structure you choose, chances are one of Wigan Saints or Leeds will feature in the Grand Final, but the steps Widnes made during licencing show what can be done once clubs stop spending money just to survive and get another hand out.....London really started to invest in the youth during licensing and because of that, we have a gaggle of home grown talet at the club now.....the return of Jeopardy has lasted 4 years....and soon it'll be 1 up/1 down with players swapping clubs as they pass each other.....
...and the loser in the coin flip between Fev and Fax for the last licence spot? Who cares? Sport is now a business and you either need 10k home fans or a sugar daddy.....so probably Fax, because Fev are drinking from a very crowded and busy well with Castleford and Wakefield already in the town and Halifax have show themselves to be more fiscally astute.

So, to be clear. If we'd stuck with licencing, Crusaders and Bradford would still have gone under and Leigh would now be in SL...... :SUBMISSION:
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Sir Kevin Sinfield Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 3715
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
But we need London, along with Toulouse and Toronto, to be confirmed in Super League by 2022, so we can get a more lucrative contract from Sky to start in 2022, and possibly a good contract from BeIN Sports and perhaps from Canadian television as well.

The non m62 clubs are vital for the game and should be given protection from relegation in Super League. This would help us to negotiate a strong tv deal in the UK, France and Canada.

User avatarClearwing wrote:
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 7864
wire-quin wrote:
I've said it before, we need to go back to franchising and set out standards for each club...reserve grade, youth development(maybe X number in squad), finance, facilities.....


All good suggestions, the issue is as ever cash. The RFL/SL cannot insist on businesses implementing all these things unless they can put the funding on the table to cover it. They can't (I'm under no illusion that Elstone will fare any better than everyone else who's tried and may even do worse). What we'll end up with is a botched version with plenty of corners cut/blind eyes turned. Again.
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell

User avatarWillzay wrote:
Willzay User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 9648
Despite what the lunatics say, Toronto/Toulouse are not vital for the future of the game.
Profit over Lives - The Tory way

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 14036
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
The non m62 clubs are vital for the game and should be given protection from relegation in Super League. This would help us to negotiate a strong tv deal in the UK, France and Canada.


Wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong again !

IF "our" negotiating hand would be so strong with their inclusion, why is it that we have just had yet another restructure and not included any of them in SL.
The effect of the overseas expansion clubs to assist in improving the TV deal is zero, nil, zip, feck all.
How many additional Sky subscriptions will be sold in N.America / France if these clubs enter SL ??

IF there was a successful, well supported New York side plus competition form another 6/8 N.American clubs, then, MAYBE there could be something in it. However, this would also see the end of professional RL in the UK, which is a strange dream to chase. Turkeys and Christmas spring to mind.

Lebron James wrote:
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:32 pm
Posts: 1946
Willzay wrote:
Despite what the lunatics say, Toronto/Toulouse are not vital for the future of the game.


Yes they are.

Regards

King James
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.

User avatarKennedy wrote:
Kennedy User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 pm
Posts: 280
Call Me God wrote:
Sorry, but he's right.

If we'd stuck with licences, Wales and quite possibly Bradford would have folded and imploded, to be replaced by "in all probability" Leigh and Fev or Fax. Del Boy would have been able to invest in other things other than trying to buy a place in SL and we'd have a 14 team SL with 2 new applications from Toronto and Toulouse to consider, resulting in 16 Professional full time sides.......no matter what structure you choose, chances are one of Wigan Saints or Leeds will feature in the Grand Final, but the steps Widnes made during licencing show what can be done once clubs stop spending money just to survive and get another hand out.....London really started to invest in the youth during licensing and because of that, we have a gaggle of home grown talet at the club now.....the return of Jeopardy has lasted 4 years....and soon it'll be 1 up/1 down with players swapping clubs as they pass each other.....
...and the loser in the coin flip between Fev and Fax for the last licence spot? Who cares? Sport is now a business and you either need 10k home fans or a sugar daddy.....so probably Fax, because Fev are drinking from a very crowded and busy well with Castleford and Wakefield already in the town and Halifax have show themselves to be more fiscally astute.

So, to be clear. If we'd stuck with licencing, Crusaders and Bradford would still have gone under and Leigh would now be in SL...... :SUBMISSION:


nice speech are you an MP by any chance ?

User avatarRoyBoy29 wrote:
RoyBoy29 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:29 am
Posts: 1670
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
The non m62 clubs are vital for the game and should be given protection from relegation in Super League. This would help us to negotiate a strong tv deal in the UK, France and Canada.



Why should they be given protection?
Irony is represented below.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
He is not telling the truth. He is talking paranoid rubbish.
Sir Kevin Sinfield Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 3715
To enable us to negotiate a strong multi year tv deal in the UK, France and Canada. Tv networks are only interested in showing the top league, hence no Championship RL is on tv (other than Toronto who currently film their own games for Canadian and British networks to spread RL throughout Ontario and Canada)

French and Canadian networks won’t want to sign up to showing RL when their team/teams could be relegated from the top tier.

We will all be better off financially if French and Canadian clubs are guaranteed Super League status.

User avatarBudgiezilla wrote:
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:24 pm
Posts: 8076
Location: Sefton Street, Leigh
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
To enable us to negotiate a strong multi year tv deal in the UK, France and Canada. Tv networks are only interested in showing the top league, hence no Championship RL is on tv (other than Toronto who currently film their own games for Canadian and British networks to spread RL throughout Ontario and Canada)

French and Canadian networks won’t want to sign up to showing RL when their team/teams could be relegated from the top tier.

We will all be better off financially if French and Canadian clubs are guaranteed Super League status.


:lol: you don't half type some cr@p !
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Donnyman, Gallanteer, Gambass, Karen, little wayne69, Pumpetypump, Someday, Superbowl Scott, The Silent H, Vancouver Leyther and 167 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,053,8971,13478,1464,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts