WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rocky - Stick or twist

Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Rocky - Stick or twist

Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:08 pm  

cheshirecat57 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 pm
Posts: 1498
Daddycool wrote:
Who with??

Head in the sand time! From alegend
Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:27 pm  

cheshirecat57 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 pm
Posts: 1498
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:
Drinkwater leaving Catalan because they have signed Smith and we cannot agree terms with Hampshire’s agent. It would appear we have one we cannot sign and one whose value is higher than ours

Drinkwater could be first signing for furner according to catalans forum.
Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 pm  

User avatarShifty Cat wrote:
Shifty Cat User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 5476
Tricky2309 wrote:
It’s certainly a shame but we have a limited budget and MC has worked wonders to date so we have to back his judgement.

No doubt on all fronts.
Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:45 pm  

Trinity1315 wrote:
Trinity1315 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:36 pm
Posts: 1122
wakeytrin wrote:
I trust MC to make the right decision for the club. If Rocky is wanting more money than we can afford then it's obviously no deal.


absolutely spot on. To be honest, if he's been offered a deal it will be what MC and CC have decided he is worth AND what the club can afford!
The likes of Tom Johnstone and others know our limitations but obviously more than money was a consideration to them. If that commitment can't be made by Ryan then he is obviously not for us, which is sad because I do rate him.
Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:53 am  

Prince Buster User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 3931
Location: Orange street
Trinity1315 wrote:
If that commitment can't be made by Ryan then he is obviously not for us, which is sad because I do rate him.


Well if Ryan Hampshire is seeking pastures new, then I think this one sentence sums up the whole of this thread.
Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 am  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 29520
Location: Poodle Power!
Prince Buster wrote:
Well if Ryan Hampshire is seeking pastures new, then I think this one sentence sums up the whole of this thread.


This advice we both remember from the Ted days is this clubs eternal problem. We can build a team so far then we simply run out of cash, mainly because good form does not relate to good gates in our case and as the talents of players we recruit cheap become recognised we can’t update as many deals as we really need to move on.

MC is the best yet but there is a limit. The amount needed to keep Rocky is probably quite small but balanced over the needs of the squad it just isn’t there, it’s really frustrating.

Until the ground is sorted or the Wakefield public respond we are simply stuffed.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:40 am  
bellycouldtackle Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:46 am
Posts: 2032
Location: wakefield
I would very like to think that player, club and agent can meet up, sit down and work a deal out that is satisfactory to all concerned. MC and his coaching staff know that they have a gem of a player, he is the best player of his generation, I think that you can make a strong argument that he is the best British 7, he is yards quicker and a better defender than Gale, he is better that Richardson whose defense is not a patch on Rocky`s , Brough is finished. Rocky is getting better and better each week and that is from a high quality starting point. Add to that his goal kicking is the best in the league and will alone win you 4 or 5 matches a season. The player is a Wakey lad, he has waited for his chance to prove to , shall we say an initially reluctant coach that he is the first choice No 7, he knows that if a deal can be done he will be playing SL at 7 every week and as a result I suggest that he will force his way into the England / GB 7 shirt. All he needs is the chance to play 7 every week and Wakefield will give him that chance. Rocky and Miller as a pair will be the faster half backs in the league, playing together week in week out will result in a devastating half back partnership. Rocky has everything in his game. His agent needs a happy client, he has to advise re the balance of job satisfaction and financial security. My thoughts are that all three parties know that signing for Trinity is the best move for all, and if they were all sat together surely a deal can and should be sorted.
Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:36 am  

Prince Buster User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 3931
Location: Orange street
vastman wrote:
This advice we both remember from the Ted days is this clubs eternal problem. We can build a team so far then we simply run out of cash, mainly because good form does not relate to good gates in our case and as the talents of players we recruit cheap become recognised we can’t update as many deals as we really need to move on.

MC is the best yet but there is a limit. The amount needed to keep Rocky is probably quite small but balanced over the needs of the squad it just isn’t there, it’s really frustrating.

Until the ground is sorted or the Wakefield public respond we are simply stuffed.



Agreed,


However we both know that life moves on, as they say one player leaving is a new opportunity for someone else. I'll back the clubs judgement with this one and hope Ryan leaving is no great loss.
Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 am  

Wildmoggy wrote:
Wildmoggy Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 12:25 pm
Posts: 654
bellycouldtackle wrote:
I would very like to think that player, club and agent can meet up, sit down and work a deal out that is satisfactory to all concerned. MC and his coaching staff know that they have a gem of a player, he is the best player of his generation, I think that you can make a strong argument that he is the best British 7, he is yards quicker and a better defender than Gale, he is better that Richardson whose defense is not a patch on Rocky`s , Brough is finished. Rocky is getting better and better each week and that is from a high quality starting point. Add to that his goal kicking is the best in the league and will alone win you 4 or 5 matches a season. The player is a Wakey lad, he has waited for his chance to prove to , shall we say an initially reluctant coach that he is the first choice No 7, he knows that if a deal can be done he will be playing SL at 7 every week and as a result I suggest that he will force his way into the England / GB 7 shirt. All he needs is the chance to play 7 every week and Wakefield will give him that chance. Rocky and Miller as a pair will be the faster half backs in the league, playing together week in week out will result in a devastating half back partnership. Rocky has everything in his game. His agent needs a happy client, he has to advise re the balance of job satisfaction and financial security. My thoughts are that all three parties know that signing for Trinity is the best move for all, and if they were all sat together surely a deal can and should be sorted.


Well if he's as good as you are suggesting, then we can't afford to keep him can we?! I think he needs to play at 7 for 2 or 3 seasons before he can be judged properly. He still has bags of potential, and has been great since he was given the gig at scrum half properly for an extended run, and no doubt his stock has gone up. Still lots of rumours as to who's going where next year, but if we can't keep him I don't see us falling in a heap next season, and i'm not sure there's a place for him at one of the perceived top 4 clubs next season. So does he go to a team who finished below us, for possibly more money??? :D
Re: Rocky - Stick or twist Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:47 am  

User avatarbren2k wrote:
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 15521
Location: Ossett
bellycouldtackle wrote:
he is the best player of his generation, I think that you can make a strong argument that he is the best British 7, he is yards quicker and a better defender than Gale, he is better that Richardson whose defense is not a patch on Rocky`s , Brough is finished


The last sentence is correct - the rest is hyperbole or patently untrue; Gale is by far the best 7 in SL, with Powell and Richardson probably close seconds. Now admittedly, they're generally showcased by having a better team around them, but Hampshire, purely by virtue of being nomadic and not having had a chance to nail a starting 7 spot for a full season, can in no way be described as being better than any of those three.

I don't disagree that he has the potential to be outstanding, but it's exactly this kind of talk that has young players and their agents prepared to make inflated and unreasonable wage demands, before they can justify it.

I like Hampshire - he'll probably have a long and successful career and could easily play for England at some point in the future; but now is not the future.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alchemist1, alegend, B V Bob, djcool, Dunkirk Spirit, eric35, King Street Cat, LG83, Stuart9266, Trinity11, wakefieldwall, Willzay, Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo and 117 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wakefield Trinity


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,105,2941,12878,3624,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X