WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The answer to Sky's commentary problems: Anthony Rea

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace The answer to Sky's commentary problems: Anthony Rea

Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:13 pm
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 746
Rep Position: 15th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Yesterday, during the Catalans-Widnes match on Sky, we heard Anthony Rea (aka "Tony Ray") as sole commentator along with match caller William Arthur. What a breath of fresh air! Not since the days of Shaun McRae as sole commentator have I enjoyed a Sky commentary so much.

Anthony Rea was outstanding. He was cool, measured and scientific about the game and the players. No Phillip Clarke psychobabble. No Barry McDermott and Terence banalities and cliches. It was all thoughtful and insightful. Rea showed just how important it is to have an intelligent and articulate former coach as the TV analyst of a game.

If Anthony Rea was the sole commentator along with Edward Hemmings, nobody would complain about Hemmings.

Clarke, McDermott and O'Connor are the problem. Rea is the solution.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Posted by Towns88 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:21 pm
Towns88 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 197
Rep Position: 132nd / 77,889

I'll cancel my sky subscription if that dour bloke becomes a permanent fixture.
"I'm sorry, but I would hope that we would beat Cas with a 1 day turnaround."

An arrogant Wigan fan a few days before we stuffed them 18-4 at the JJB.
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:30 pm
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Towns88 wrote:
I'll cancel my sky subscription if that dour bloke becomes a permanent fixture.

There is nothing wrong with being dour in the commentary role. It is up to the match caller to provide excitement in his voice when the play warrants it. The commentator is there to provide analysis. Have you ever heard Andrew Johns commentating on NRL games? He fits the description of "dour" in his voice tone, but his analysis is brilliant. That is why Channel 9 in Australia retains him. Raymond Warren provides the excitement in his call. Philip "Gus" Gould and Andrew Johns provide the cool, detached analysis. That is exactly the kind of role sharing that Sky needs.
Last edited by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by RoyBoy29 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:29 pm
RoyBoy29 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 416
Rep Position: 50th / 77,889

Im guessing he was playing lickspittle to Catalan if he has Jeans/Kevs and others approval
Irony is represented below.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
He is not telling the truth. He is talking paranoid rubbish.
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:20 am
Psychedelic Casual User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 527
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,889

Bill Arthur was very poor.

I think it was Braydon Williame who slid six feet on his back to control a kick off with his body, get up, collect the ball and start the set. To which Arther said “what was that, that’s two he’s made a pigs ear of, I’m sure Williame’s a good player but he can’t deal with kick-offs can he?”

When in reality it was absolutely amazing skill and brilliant to watch.

Tony Rae pretty much told him to shut up as it was a piece of magic on the RL field.

What you get with Rae is good, insightful, tactical knowledge. He’s by far the best pundit on the panel they have. The BBC have a much better all round panel than Sky, mainly because they get coaches on as well as players to do punditry.
Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 pm
knockersbumpMKII

Reputation Points: 54
Rep Position: 248th / 77,889

Psychedelic Casual wrote:

I think it was Braydon Williame who slid six feet on his back to control a kick off with his body, get up, collect the ball and start the set. To which Arther said “what was that, that’s two he’s made a pigs ear of, I’m sure Williame’s a good player but he can’t deal with kick-offs can he?”

Tony Rae pretty much told him to shut up as it was a piece of magic on the RL field.

What you get with Rae is good, insightful, tactical knowledge. He’s by far the best pundit on the panel they have. The BBC have a much better all round panel than Sky, mainly because they get coaches on as well as players to do punditry.

This, many times over.
Posted by Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:14 pm
Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 200
Rep Position: 131st / 77,889

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
There is nothing wrong with being dour in the commentary role. It is up to the match caller to provide excitement in his voice when the play warrants it. The commentator is there to provide analysis. Have you ever heard Andrew Johns commentating on NRL games? He fits the description of "dour" in his voice tone, but his analysis is brilliant. That is why Channel 9 in Australia retains him. Ray Warren provides the excitement in his call. Philip "Gus" Gould and Andrew Johns provide the cool, detached analysis. That is exactly the kind of role sharing that Sky needs.

Raymond
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:35 pm
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Psychedelic Casual wrote:

I agree with your analysis. But you have misspelled the name of Anthony Rea (aka "Tony Ray").

Posted by Canoeman on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:16 am
Canoeman User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 47
Rep Position: 255th / 77,889

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
I agree with your analysis. But you have misspelled the name of Anthony Rea (aka "Tony Ray").

Keep an eye on them Jean...good work! And for what its worth I think your comments on having the 'dour' commentator are dead on: couldn't agree more.
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 pm
Psychedelic Casual User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 527
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,889

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

You’ve misspelt “misspelt”
Next