WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Steve Mascord to attend Cap Cha - Journo who inspired Crowe

Board index Championship 1 London Skolars Steve Mascord to attend Cap Cha - Journo who inspired Crowe

Posted by Elite Skolar on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:18 pm
Elite Skolar 100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 319th / 77,955

Quiz Score: 0

The journalist who inspired Russell Crowe’s characterisation of a reporter in his 2009 film “State of Play” will be in London on Friday going about his day job of travelling the globe covering Rugby League in out of the way places.

Australian Steve Mascord will be attending the ETF Securities Capital Challenge between London’s two professional clubs, Harlequins RL and London Skolars at the HAC ground in the heart of the City.

It’s a place Steve’s never visited but the setting is likely to appeal to the man who is probably the most widely travelled and best known Rugby League writer in the world.
As well as covering Rugby League in the usual countries, he has seen games in Malta, Lebanon, Russia, Italy and the United States. “I don't actually see myself as a massive traveller,” said Steve.

“I just think you don't need a reason to travel, you need a reason to stay home! I’ve never been to the HAC and I’m looking forward to it.”

Steve’s main employer is Rugby League Week in Australia but over the last year he’s also covered games for The Australian, the Sydney Morning Herald, the Sun-Herald and the Sunday Telegraph newspapers plus AAP and regularly appears on Australian radio stations Triple M, ABC and 2GB.

During the season he does television twice a week for Fox Sports News and Sky News and he also manages to file stories each week for websites rleague.com, sportsnewsfirst.com.au and backpagelead.com.au.“It's fun, but it can get hectic,” he says.

When Russell Crowe became owner of the South Sydney Rabbitohs he naturally came into contact with Steve so what about that characterisation? “I think Crowe said his characterisation of the journalist was influenced by me...that's all. I still haven't seen the movie but nothing inspires you to go to the gym like being portrayed as a fat slob in a Hollywood blockbuster.”

Join Steve at the Capital Challenge which kicks off at the HAC ground at 2pm. Match tickets, priced at £15, can still be purchased by visiting Skolars Club shop - just click here