FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Leeds Rhinos 24 - 26 Huddersfield Giants LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Connor Penalty Goal
 Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens 58 - 0 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Welsby Try, Bennison Goal
 Current LIVE TV Match : Wigan Warriors 36 - 8 Castleford Tigers LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Miski Try, Smith Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Goal Kicker
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12581
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 07:2119th Apr 24 07:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Goal Kicker : Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:17 pm  
Beverley red wrote:
Though not really bothered about the clock. Am I the only one who can’t understand why everyone seems to be getting obsessed with speeding up the game? Is it that big a problem? I watched Rovers against Saints 1992 or 3 on that well known video sight, an entertaining game with lots of action. They had just started to clamp down on laying on & head high tackles the game flowed well & the only difference from today was the game was not stopped for injuries and video ref as much as it is today. Union & NFL don’t seem to worry about nothing happening for long periods of the game yet they get good support & TV coverage. The only thing I have really noticed is our players now being full time are fitter & stronger so the skill full small players never get much chance to run at tired forwards, so the reduction in subs will help that & maybe even go down to six changes if we find eight to much? What’s any one else think?

The NFL has been concerned about and taken steps to improve the pace of its games. It's arguably a slightly different point, but Union was concerned with the time lost to repeatedly resetting scrums and the last game I saw it seemed like it was a more controlled process with fewer collapsing.

Also, maybe the world is changing - and our chairman has alluded to attracting the next generation of fans, and they possibly spend their time differently. Tbf, I suspect we all do versus 25 years ago. I think the feeling is that longer games with slower play are cutting against that grain. Life generally is faster now.

Being radical, could we just bin-off conversions altogether and have 5-point tries?

The big change I'd like to see is dramatically restricting the wrestle. There's a quote I've seen, I think from the early days of SL, something like: 'I have seen the future of rugby league and it is basketball' - it seems to have gone to the other extreme nowadays. And the growth in milking penalties at the ruck that has come with it is not entertaining or edifying.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200717 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Aug 22 21:1324th Aug 22 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Goal Kicker : Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:39 pm  
Mild Rover wrote:
The NFL has been concerned about and taken steps to improve the pace of its games. It's arguably a slightly different point, but Union was concerned with the time lost to repeatedly resetting scrums and the last game I saw it seemed like it was a more controlled process with fewer collapsing.You are probably right it’s an age thing, I am in my late 60’s and am ok with

Also, maybe the world is changing - and our chairman has alluded to attracting the next generation of fans, and they possibly spend their time differently. Tbf, I suspect we all do versus 25 years ago. I think the feeling is that longer games with slower play are cutting against that grain. Life generally is faster now.

Being radical, could we just bin-off conversions altogether and have 5-point tries?

The big change I'd like to see is dramatically restricting the wrestle. There's a quote I've seen, I think from the early days of SL, something like: 'I have seen the future of rugby league and it is basketball' - it seems to have gone to the other extreme nowadays. And the growth in milking penalties at the ruck that has come with it is not entertaining or edifying.
It is probably an age thing but being in my late 60’s I do find it odd that the game seems to think that it needs to be constantly moving at breakneck speed, to win spectators certainly union is not all action nor is darts or snooker but it doesn’t make it any less tense or exciting for its followers. Not that it matters as us older ones are leaving the game anyway either through natural wastage or not wanting to be out late. The game is certainly not family friendly as no decent parents would bring young kids out at eight at night especially on Thursdays with school next day. Our game has sold its soul to SKY so they can pad out their schedules when there is no football, & I suspect all this call for shot clocks is so they can fit our game into their own slots in the programming. Sad for me but I have given up on my season ticket after 20 plus years as I won’t travel into Hull on a night for a game. Sunday afternoon (or Saturday in my youth) was the best time to play, fixed in everyone’s mind, ie that’s we all did that time every week. Now you can’t plan anymore as it changes with no warning, the sooner the game wakes up to the fact that people want a regular time slot that becomes a habit the sooner we might revive the game. I am sorry to say I think it is to late & the game is in its death throws! & I sure hope I am wrong.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1293No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 19 200618 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 17:1118th Apr 24 17:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I couldn't hear the robin sing if not for you.

Re: Goal Kicker : Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:43 pm  
Hey Beverley Red - Rovers have a stack of Sunday games this year guaranteed. It's a major improvement on last year and so I'd say get yourself a pass and help get the record sales up to new levels.

We have our best team for a while and I for one welcome not waiting an age while teams take forever taking goal line drop outs. It's got to be a positive.

Cracking start to the season with the derby so hope you can make it.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8741
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 18 200519 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Dec 23 15:5416th May 22 19:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Goal Kicker : Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:54 pm  
His Bobness wrote:
Hey Beverley Red - Rovers have a stack of Sunday games this year guaranteed. It's a major improvement on last year and so I'd say get yourself a pass and help get the record sales up to new levels.

We have our best team for a while and I for one welcome not waiting an age while teams take forever taking goal line drop outs. It's got to be a positive.

Cracking start to the season with the derby so hope you can make it.

Define ‘guaranteed’? Does it mean ‘planned until moved by Sky’?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200717 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Goal Kicker : Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 pm  
SirStan wrote:

I will attend Sunday games, but I won’t buy a season pass as SKY move games at will. As a young school kid I knew that I could go into Hull on the bus on any Saturday & watch any of the three Hull clubs As one would be at home, It became a habitual thing, Saturdays in winter was a game in Hull, no getting tickets ahead of the day just head into Hull for the game, although Rovers would be my first choice if they were not at home FC or city would do. I don’t have a clue how we could get b)ack to those days but making our game a habit among the new generation would be a start. As next Friday is a derby I will miss it but at least I can watch on now tv. The other thing I recall is that the inter club rivalry was only twice a year on derby day at other times I supported any local team against out of towners ( & I’m not even from Hull)
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1293No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 19 200618 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Goal Kicker : Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:30 pm  
SirStan wrote:

All Sky Thursday games are already allocated until Round 23 so the main concern of having games moved to Thursday is removed at least until then.

Friday TV games are allocated up to round 12 so after that there is a 1 in 6 chance of a game being moved to Friday (although probably less likely than that seeing as though SKY favour screening the big clubs).

There will be very few Hull KR games moved this season and guaranteed none till round 12 and thereafter probably only a game or 2 being moved to a Friday. With 11 home games scheduled for weekends everyone should be happy.

PLEASE NOTE; these positive changes are the result of negotiations between Robert Elstone & SKY. SKY have been very co-operative and a lot fewer games will be moved this year. If you don't want a pass fine but please don't make this an excuse anymore.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200717 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Goal Kicker : Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:35 am  
His Bobness wrote:
All Sky Thursday games are already allocated until Round 23 so the main concern of having games moved to Thursday is removed at least until then.

Friday TV games are allocated up to round 12 so after that there is a 1 in 6 chance of a game being moved to Friday (although probably less likely than that seeing as though SKY favour screening the big clubs).

There will be very few Hull KR games moved this season and guaranteed none till round 12 and thereafter probably only a game or 2 being moved to a Friday. With 11 home games scheduled for weekends everyone should be happy.

PLEASE NOTE; these positive changes are the result of negotiations between Robert Elstone & SKY. SKY have been very co-operative and a lot fewer games w ill be moved this year. If you don't want a pass fine but please don't make this an excuse anymore.
It’s not an excuse it’s a reason. I will get to as many games as I can on the sundays. The point of my post is that it is harder to sell the game now,when I first came to watch sport every game kicked off at 2 or 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon thus that is where every sports fan was every Saturday afternoon in winter it became a habit it was ingrained in the national thought.It was also ingrained in the media & the public at large. You could plan your life around games as you knew when the games would be played year in year out, the cup final was in may. The only unpredictable thing was the cup draw (home/away) or the odd replay at short notice.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain979
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 26 20176 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Aug 22 07:1513th Aug 22 07:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Goal Kicker : Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:22 am  
Beverley red wrote:
It’s not an excuse it’s a reason. I will get to as many games as I can on the sundays. The point of my post is that it is harder to sell the game now,when I first came to watch sport every game kicked off at 2 or 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon thus that is where every sports fan was every Saturday afternoon in winter it became a habit it was ingrained in the national thought.It was also ingrained in the media & the public at large. You could plan your life around games as you knew when the games would be played year in year out, the cup final was in may. The only unpredictable thing was the cup draw (home/away) or the odd replay at short notice.

Well said B red got to agree with you but let’s be honest we do not want to go back to winter do we but the challenge cup final should be back in may
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1293No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 19 200618 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Goal Kicker : Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:47 pm  
I have been trying to persuade people to get an extra pass sale or two but I do understand that it is not compulsory and everyone has their own circumstances.

Support Hull KR anyway you can and here's to a successful 2019.
Previous