WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Going Up in 2020?

Board index Championship 1 Doncaster RLFC Going Up in 2020?

Going Up in 2020? Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:21 am  
Double Movement User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

The best odds available on League One shows the following prices for winning the league (dated 10th January 2020):

Barrow 5/2
Newcastle 7/2
Dons 4/1
Keighley 8/1
Rochdale 10/1
Workington 12/1
Hunslet 12/1
London Skolars 25/1
North Wales 40/1
Coventry 66/1
West Wales 66/1

Where is the money presently going?

26% of bets staked so far have gone on Barrow. 19% have gone on Keighley with Hunslet 15%, Newcastle 14%, and West Wales 14%.

The rest (Dons, Rochdale, Workington, London, W Wales and Coventry) account collectively for the other 13%.

This suggests Dons fans either don’t fancy our chances, aren’t bettors, or are very tight and like to keep our money in our pockets!

Here's my view:

I'm very pleased we have ditched Dual Reg. Working closely with Hull seemed like a good idea in theory but it simply didn’t work in practice. We relied too much on them and didn’t take enough control ourselves.

We presently have a squad of good quality players which I believe is better than any squad we’ve had in recent seasons. I am somewhat concerned that we’re relatively short on numbers but keeping 30 players happy would equally be a thankless task. We can dip into the loan market if we need to. That worked reasonably well last year.

The backs should pose a constant threat in attack with Matty Beharrell leading the way. Rangi could return to his previous best and cause havoc. I believe Jack Logan will be a major player at full-back. Any team with aspirations to win the league needs to have a dynamic full-back. Jack Logan fits the bill.

My biggest concern is the front row. I would have liked to have seen another big barnstorming prop added to the squad. Richard Horne does seem to like mobile props rather than weighty ones. Graeme Horne could be a key asset though if he manages to stay fit.

Given fair luck with injuries, I’m quietly optimistic that we have a team good enough to finish in the top two. Now, with that barnstorming prop we might even be able win it!

What does everyone else think?
Re: Going Up in 2020? Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:54 pm  

User avatarStand-Offish wrote:
Stand-Offish User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Somewhere in Bonny Donny (Twinned with Krakatoa in 1883).
I will wait until we play Barrow ...
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Thank God I'm an atheist.
Re: Going Up in 2020? Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:13 pm  

bonaire wrote:
bonaire Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Double Movement wrote:
The best odds available on League One shows the following prices for winning the league (dated 10th January 2020):

Barrow 5/2
Newcastle 7/2
Dons 4/1
Keighley 8/1
Rochdale 10/1
Workington 12/1
Hunslet 12/1
London Skolars 25/1
North Wales 40/1
Coventry 66/1
West Wales 66/1

Where is the money presently going?

26% of bets staked so far have gone on Barrow. 19% have gone on Keighley with Hunslet 15%, Newcastle 14%, and West Wales 14%.

The rest (Dons, Rochdale, Workington, London, W Wales and Coventry) account collectively for the other 13%.

This suggests Dons fans either don’t fancy our chances, aren’t bettors, or are very tight and like to keep our money in our pockets!

Here's my view:

I'm very pleased we have ditched Dual Reg. Working closely with Hull seemed like a good idea in theory but it simply didn’t work in practice. We relied too much on them and didn’t take enough control ourselves.

We presently have a squad of good quality players which I believe is better than any squad we’ve had in recent seasons. I am somewhat concerned that we’re relatively short on numbers but keeping 30 players happy would equally be a thankless task. We can dip into the loan market if we need to. That worked reasonably well last year.

The backs should pose a constant threat in attack with Matty Beharrell leading the way. Rangi could return to his previous best and cause havoc. I believe Jack Logan will be a major player at full-back. Any team with aspirations to win the league needs to have a dynamic full-back. Jack Logan fits the bill.

My biggest concern is the front row. I would have liked to have seen another big barnstorming prop added to the squad. Richard Horne does seem to like mobile props rather than weighty ones. Graeme Horne could be a key asset though if he manages to stay fit.

Given fair luck with injuries, I’m quietly optimistic that we have a team good enough to finish in the top two. Now, with that barnstorming prop we might even be able win it!

What does everyone else think?

You really need to get out of League 1 this coming season
Like others though once again i dont think you have enough power and size in the front row and even though you have some good halfs and backs they will be ineffective against the big strong teams.
Logan should play centre not full back.
Jack Sanderson back to fitness and looking sharp but will be surprised if Hull give him a contract as we already have cover on the wing and full back.
I can see him as your full back for this season if he doesnt get a new contract.
Re: Going Up in 2020? Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:04 am  

Wilf Grimshaw User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

bonaire wrote:
You really need to get out of League 1 this coming season
Like others though once again i dont think you have enough power and size in the front row and even though you have some good halfs and backs they will be ineffective against the big strong teams.
Logan should play centre not full back.
Jack Sanderson back to fitness and looking sharp but will be surprised if Hull give him a contract as we already have cover on the wing and full back.
I can see him as your full back for this season if he doesnt get a new contract.

I sincerely hope that you are correct with your point of view. Logan is excellent at centre.
“The best advice I've ever received is, stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution"
Re: Going Up in 2020? Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:08 am  
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Wilf Grimshaw wrote:
I sincerely hope that you are correct with your point of view. Logan is excellent at centre.

I agree Logan is an excellent centre but who would give way for him, Tali or Smeaton?
Re: Going Up in 2020? Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 pm  

User avatarStand-Offish wrote:
Stand-Offish User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Somewhere in Bonny Donny (Twinned with Krakatoa in 1883).
Don't think Smeaton scores many tries, Tali does ....simples.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Thank God I'm an atheist.
Re: Going Up in 2020? Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:40 pm  

User avatarJemmo wrote:
Jemmo User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Anyone know angered that offers odds on promotion rather than champions?
Re: Going Up in 2020? Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:32 pm  
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Jemmo wrote:
Anyone know angered that offers odds on promotion rather than champions?

I suspect that if anyone was offering odds about promotion only they'd be listed on the Oddschecker website.

The various rugby league markets presently available on the link below:

https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-league
Re: Going Up in 2020? Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:35 pm  

Rob Nash wrote:
Rob Nash Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

William Hill still have us as joint 2nd 7/2
Re: Going Up in 2020? Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:55 pm  

User avatarJemmo wrote:
Jemmo User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Double Movement wrote:
I suspect that if anyone was offering odds about promotion only they'd be listed on the Oddschecker website.

The various rugby league markets presently available on the link below:

https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-league

Cheers
Next