FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Shopping List 2023
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:49 am  
I think yesterday confirmed Longstaff isn't the right signing for us, he is not ready to be starting SL games, he is too lightweight.

Be a good signing for a club that can bring him through slowly and has a good coach, this isn't us IMO
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:13 am  
We're desperate for a leader or 2 tbh.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but is someone like Aaron Woods worth a shot. At 31/32 ex SOO and Aussie international. He has a player option at SGI for next season, but might be tempted with a 2 year here?

Also is not renewing Lovodua a bad thing, if weve signed Dwyer, to bring in a SR from overseas? Wade Graham for a season, it sounds like he'll renew with the Sharks though.

Feel free to shoot me down :lol:
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:25 am  
mwindass wrote:
We're desperate for a leader or 2 tbh.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but is someone like Aaron Woods worth a shot. At 31/32 ex SOO and Aussie international. He has a player option at SGI.

Also is not renewing Lovodua a bad thing, if weve signed Dwyer, to bring in a SR from overseas? Wade Graham for a season, it sounds like he'll renew with the Sharks though.

Feel free to shoot me down :lol:


To be honest I'd rather any money spent now put towards a Coach and Assistant that can get the best out of what they have available, for me Hodgson and Purtill are failing miserably. I really do not see any difference in next season as there is simply no evidence of any real improvement in the way we play or attitudes and he they have both been here long enough to have made improvements. We look more disjointed and incapable then ever before, injuries are part and parcel of a physical sport yet we seem to have that as ready made excuse as we have no structures in place to soften the blows of injuries.Clubs like St's Wigan, even Leeds have alway brought young lads in to the first team and played them becuas they have systems in place that they all know so no matter who's missing others can come in and do a job as they know the role and how to play. We just say ours arne't ready and go for loan players or play others out of position. If we rarely play young players they will never reach their potential.

Hodgson and Purtill for me are not going to make us any better than we are now at first team level, Hodgson maybe a nice and knowledgeable guy but a Headcoach he is not. Maybe Pearson would be better employing him as a DoR and getting in a Coach who can in still discipline and confidence in a group of players and get the best from them.
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:33 am  
Chris71 wrote:
To be honest I'd rather any money spent now put towards a Coach and Assistant that can get the best out of what they have available, for me Hodgson and Purtill are failing miserably. I really do not see any difference in next season as there is simply no evidence of any real improvement in the way we play or attitudes and he they have both been here long enough to have made improvements. We look more disjointed and incapable then ever before, injuries are part and parcel of a physical sport yet we seem to have that as ready made excuse as we have no structures in place to soften the blows of injuries.Clubs like St's Wigan, even Leeds have alway brought young lads in to the first team and played them becuas they have systems in place that they all know so no matter who's missing others can come in and do a job as they know the role and how to play. We just say ours arne't ready and go for loan players or play others out of position. If we rarely play young players they will never reach their potential.

Hodgson and Purtill for me are not going to make us any better than we are now at first team level, Hodgson maybe a nice and knowledgeable guy but a Headcoach he is not. Maybe Pearson would be better employing him as a DoR and getting in a Coach who can in still discipline and confidence in a group of players and get the best from them.


If Hodgson & Purtill are shown the door they need to take the defence coach with them.
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:41 am  
mwindass wrote:
We're desperate for a leader or 2 tbh.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but is someone like Aaron Woods worth a shot. At 31/32 ex SOO and Aussie international. He has a player option at SGI for next season, but might be tempted with a 2 year here?

Also is not renewing Lovodua a bad thing, if weve signed Dwyer, to bring in a SR from overseas? Wade Graham for a season, it sounds like he'll renew with the Sharks though.

Feel free to shoot me down :lol:


Evans should be leading, vastly experienced, I know he had a good game against Toulouse, but I'd happily release him, in fact I wouldn't be disappointed if Lovodua and Smith didn't stay and we have 2/3 non fed places to play with.
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:43 am  
mwindass wrote:
We're desperate for a leader or 2 tbh.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but is someone like Aaron Woods worth a shot. At 31/32 ex SOO and Aussie international. He has a player option at SGI for next season, but might be tempted with a 2 year here?

Also is not renewing Lovodua a bad thing, if weve signed Dwyer, to bring in a SR from overseas? Wade Graham for a season, it sounds like he'll renew with the Sharks though.

Feel free to shoot me down :lol:


Definitely not Aaron Woods :shock:

He would be the very definition of an overseas player looking for one last pay day but doing sweet fa for it.

Think Wade Graham is staying with Cronulla (my team down under 8)) but there are plenty of good second rowers in the NRL that could do a good job for us.
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:48 am  
davey41 wrote:
Definitely not Aaron Woods :shock:

He would be the very definition of an overseas player looking for one last pay day but doing sweet fa for it.

Think Wade Graham is staying with Cronulla (my team down under 8)) but there are plenty of good second rowers in the NRL that could do a good job for us.


They were 2 ex internationals a club captains ooc down under. It won't happen anyway, the Reynolds signing is still fresh in tje memory too.

Woodsy comes across as a nice bloke, but get that it wouldn't help us :lol:

Anymore straws to clutch?
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:51 am  
Dave K. wrote:
Evans should be leading, vastly experienced, I know he had a good game against Toulouse, but I'd happily release him, in fact I wouldn't be disappointed if Lovodua and Smith didn't stay and we have 2/3 non fed places to play with.


Evans has never been that type of player though.
Agree with you about Lovodua and Smith.
We're losing or have lost Gale, Reynolds, Ma'u. We need to fill the massive leadership problem
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:24 am  
Chris71 wrote:
To be honest I'd rather any money spent now put towards a Coach and Assistant that can get the best out of what they have available, for me Hodgson and Purtill are failing miserably. I really do not see any difference in next season as there is simply no evidence of any real improvement in the way we play or attitudes and he they have both been here long enough to have made improvements. We look more disjointed and incapable then ever before, injuries are part and parcel of a physical sport yet we seem to have that as ready made excuse as we have no structures in place to soften the blows of injuries.Clubs like St's Wigan, even Leeds have alway brought young lads in to the first team and played them becuas they have systems in place that they all know so no matter who's missing others can come in and do a job as they know the role and how to play. We just say ours arne't ready and go for loan players or play others out of position. If we rarely play young players they will never reach their potential.

Hodgson and Purtill for me are not going to make us any better than we are now at first team level, Hodgson maybe a nice and knowledgeable guy but a Headcoach he is not. Maybe Pearson would be better employing him as a DoR and getting in a Coach who can in still discipline and confidence in a group of players and get the best from them.


Totally agree with you even if it means not spending the full cap use the savings to bring in a quality coach who has experience of coaching the first team. Hodgson was always going to be a gamble and has backfired big time. Last did a better job.

I'll renew my pass no matter what but after that debacle yesterday and other gutless performances I wouldn't blame fans not renewing.

The bloke who I've next to for years never leaves early always stayed to the bitter end left half way through the second half yesterday. He's seriously considering not renewing. I'm sure others are considering it as well.

If AP doesn't bring in a new coach for next season and give us some optimism he'll lose fans and lose them for good.
Re: Shopping List 2023 : Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:36 pm  
Dave K. wrote:
I think yesterday confirmed Longstaff isn't the right signing for us, he is not ready to be starting SL games, he is too lightweight.

Be a good signing for a club that can bring him through slowly and has a good coach, this isn't us IMO


Surely thats what this fantasy island idea of Pearson/Hodgson is bringing on young players that they hope will make S/L standard.
Longstaff is only 20 and miles ahead of anything we have coming through
He has several years to bulk up and add some weight but what he has is pace and energy.
You seem happy to add an average player like Sutcliffe who at 27 is going no where yet he is only 4 kilos heavier than Longstaff and 5cm taller.
He is hardly going to frighten any defences whether its as a centre of second row
I agree with you Longstaff needs a good coach and conditioning team behind him but i would still sign him as one for the future.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bonaire, Chris71, ComeOnYouUll, Marcus's Bicycle, mwindass, Steve0, themightynortherner, Yippee try yay and 187 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC