RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Reserve grade threaD
Re: Reserve grade threaD Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:20 pm  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:20 pm  

User avatarComeOnYouUll wrote:
ComeOnYouUll User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 20205
Member for 19 years
Irregs#16 wrote:
Not many sides play at their home stadium. The youngsters play at the base for our new training facility. Makes sense to me


Plus it's an extra motivation for them - playing at the MKM Stadium for the first team.
Re: Reserve grade threaD Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:13 pm  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:13 pm  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 12218
Location: Leicestershire.
Member for 15 years
Riderofthepalehorse wrote:
Don’t think the lesson was ever hidden M.R. In our competition we are split and hampered by the threat of relegation, or the chase for silverware, whichever camp we fall in, all clubs choose quick fixes to strengthen either cause, while youth, the only sustainable way forward was overlooked rather than forgotten.

Let’s hope with the emergence of young talent coming through, indeed we ourselves are loaning some of these starlets, the penny has finally dropped, and this overhyped madness of bringing no longer hungry, or physically able ex NRL players is long gone.

Personally this Sky overrated jeopardy regarding the demise of Wakey or Toulouse in a fabulous battle at the bottom, with the added spice of dragging Warrington in, is absolute nonsense, the quality is poor, we need to freshen it all up.


Doesn’t the fact that Cas used to get loads of praise for bringing through players (Westerman, Shenton, Richard Owen, Joe Arundel and the like) while fighting relegation and generally being cack, but then improved significantly without much input from young academy products suggest that there isn’t just only one sustainable way forward? Opening with a passive-aggressive rhetorical question… might have to change my username at this rate.

A productive academy is obviously better than an unproductive academy. But I really don’t get why it being seen as such a key differentiator is so ingrained in the RL psyche. I don’t think the evidence remotely supports it (unless you go cherrypicking), so it seems like an emotional thing of people wanting it to be true or just one of those ‘conventional wisdom’ things.

At least if you fail in a conventional way there’s no criticism and if you lose games, year after year, while trying to do things ‘the right way’, your eulogies will be full of patronising praise. I wonder which period Cas fans preferred and which was better for long-term sustainability of their club.

The chase for silverware and the threat of relegation and generally trying to win aren’t distractions. They’re meant to be the whole point. Developing players is meant to be just a means to that end, not the main goal in itself.

Ahhhhhh, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! :lol:
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Reserve grade threaD Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:53 pm  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:53 pm  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 6441
Location: Kingston upon Hull
Member for 4 years
Mild Rover wrote:
Doesn’t the fact that Cas used to get loads of praise for bringing through players (Westerman, Shenton, Richard Owen, Joe Arundel and the like) while fighting relegation and generally being cack, but then improved significantly without much input from young academy products suggest that there isn’t just only one sustainable way forward? Opening with a passive-aggressive rhetorical question… might have to change my username at this rate.

A productive academy is obviously better than an unproductive academy. But I really don’t get why it being seen as such a key differentiator is so ingrained in the RL psyche. I don’t think the evidence remotely supports it (unless you go cherrypicking), so it seems like an emotional thing of people wanting it to be true or just one of those ‘conventional wisdom’ things.

At least if you fail in a conventional way there’s no criticism and if you lose games, year after year, while trying to do things ‘the right way’, your eulogies will be full of patronising praise. I wonder which period Cas fans preferred and which was better for long-term sustainability of their club.

The chase for silverware and the threat of relegation and generally trying to win aren’t distractions. They’re meant to be the whole point. Developing players is meant to be just a means to that end, not the main goal in itself.

Ahhhhhh, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! :lol:


I think Cas fans will remember 1986 when they lifted the cup as one of their most memorable moments, surely that team was an array of Cas and Wakey lads, apart from Dave Plange who I believe without checking was from Hull :D But I do take your point, without analysis, the best times are probably when our teams were brimming with overseas, or home bought talent, but nevertheless, investment in youth is the way forward.
Re: Reserve grade threaD Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:52 pm  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:52 pm  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 12218
Location: Leicestershire.
Member for 15 years
Riderofthepalehorse wrote:
but nevertheless, investment in youth is the way forward.


Why do you feel so sure it is the way forward?

There’s less value in the NRL market than 10 years ago, for sure. Cherrypicked exceptions like SKD, aside.

But there are multiple ways to mitigate that. Championship players entering their prime, SL veterans with maybe 1 or 2 decent years left, a squad player at another club who in a different position and/or environment could bloom, Fijians in the Army. And, yes, bringing through academy players.

Golden generations stick in the memory but are rare and unpredictable. You can rarely rely on your academy as a major source of first team talent, in the modern era. People will point to St Helens, but I don’t think their circumstances are broadly applicable. If you look at their first GF-winning team, Cunningham is at 9 and Wellens on the bench - but it is clear they had initially to buy their place at the top table. Money is the one way… is that too sad a truth to say loudly?

The other problem is that the current pathway is club- not player-orientated but isn’t even very effective on those terms. Clubs’ desperate (if understandable) desire to own talent likely prevents it from developing in many cases. Let kids come up through the community game (investing there), to league 1, then the Championship and then SL… wherever they find their level. The big SL clubs harvesting 15 year olds then sieving them out over the next 4 years to choose a couple to send for a few games at Rochdale or Dewsbury as prep for a debut in an injury-ravaged SL team… I wonder why that doesn’t work very often! I wonder more why people think it should.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Reserve grade threaD Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 pm  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 pm  

User avatarHasbag wrote:
Hasbag User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 3632
Location: Hull
Member for 10 years
Beat Bradford 38-12 tonight
Re: Reserve grade threaD Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:50 pm  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:50 pm  

User avatarArmavinit wrote:
Armavinit User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 1769
Member for 11 years
Mild Rover wrote:
Why do you feel so sure it is the way forward?

There’s less value in the NRL market than 10 years ago, for sure. Cherrypicked exceptions like SKD, aside.

But there are multiple ways to mitigate that. Championship players entering their prime, SL veterans with maybe 1 or 2 decent years left, a squad player at another club who in a different position and/or environment could bloom, Fijians in the Army. And, yes, bringing through academy players.

Golden generations stick in the memory but are rare and unpredictable. You can rarely rely on your academy as a major source of first team talent, in the modern era. People will point to St Helens, but I don’t think their circumstances are broadly applicable. If you look at their first GF-winning team, Cunningham is at 9 and Wellens on the bench - but it is clear they had initially to buy their place at the top table. Money is the one way… is that too sad a truth to say loudly?

The other problem is that the current pathway is club- not player-orientated but isn’t even very effective on those terms. Clubs’ desperate (if understandable) desire to own talent likely prevents it from developing in many cases. Let kids come up through the community game (investing there), to league 1, then the Championship and then SL… wherever they find their level. The big SL clubs harvesting 15 year olds then sieving them out over the next 4 years to choose a couple to send for a few games at Rochdale or Dewsbury as prep for a debut in an injury-ravaged SL team… I wonder why that doesn’t work very often! I wonder more why people think it should.



But your not used to having a harvest of locally grown players, you ripped off half of your team from Bradford.
The way forward is to produce your own players, something that Adam under Hodgson’s guidance will bear fruition. Hudgell tried to grab onto Pearsons’s coat tails with the much vaunted combined junior team but because he didn’t put his money where his mouth is, it failed. Sometimes I read your long winded posts and think there is substance then the trance ends and I realise your just wind and pish. Just stay on your own forum, I’m sure they’ll be more interested.
No need, anyone is welcome here if they post within the AUP which just recently, you aren't. Karen.
Re: Reserve grade threaD Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:57 pm  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:57 pm  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 12218
Location: Leicestershire.
Member for 15 years
So, in brief, it is a faith-based position. Those are fine in certain contexts, but imo this isn’t one of them… or maybe from a fan perspective it is, and I should nourish my feeling side and stand down my thinking side. It’s just that feeling can really hurt and thinking can help avoid the pain.

Or it’s a circular argument… it is the way forward so it will bear fruit and because it will bear fruit it is the way forward. Just one of those things that ‘stands to reason’.

Rovers rode the being patient, building-slowly-from-the-bottom wagon very quickly off a cliff into the Championship. More than any club in SL we paid the price of believing the righteous, one-size-fits-all, long-termist fairytales peddled by the rich Goliath clubs and their supporters, so please don’t give me the money and mouth line. If something hasn’t worked well for us, it is reasonable to wonder if something else might be better, rather than going all in on the same thing again.

I am full of wind and pish, that is true - but I’ve got a decent eye for it too.

I’m also being boring, so I’ll let it lie for a bit. Byeeee.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Reserve grade threaD Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:18 am  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:18 am  
Irregular Hoops User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member


Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:30 pm
Posts: 4029
Location: Kingston upon Hull F.C.
Member for 20 years
TLDR
Re: Reserve grade threaD Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:46 pm  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:46 pm  

User avatarBoss Hog wrote:
Boss Hog User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:34 pm
Posts: 5616
Member for 9 years
The Academy team lost 28pts to 10 pts, at an away fixture at Warrington this afternoon.
Re: Reserve grade threaD Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:33 pm  
Re: Reserve grade threaD
Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:33 pm  

User avatarMrs Barista wrote:
Mrs Barista User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:28 am
Posts: 29144
Location: West Yorkshire
Member for 17 years
Shame that, season started well.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armavinit, BoredWiganer, Chris71, Costadelsolbill, Eton st robin, Google [Bot], Greavsie, Hasbag, HU8HFC, K-Diddy, oooh Gravy!, PopTart, REDWHITEANDBLUE, RockNRolla, Steve0, themightynortherner and 288 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
9m
What position should Jake Connor play next season
Riderofthepa
40
11m
Away from the stress of sl
winnintrin
5
11m
2022 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 24
taxi4stevesm
13
11m
Props/forwards formation 2023
Alffi_7
50
16m
RD 24 Warrington Wolves H
Frosties.
59
26m
Hull on Friday
wrencat1873
46
43m
Wagstaff trophy 2022
H.G.S.A
6
48m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
12908
48m
Charity SL Predictions League 2022
wrencat1873
375
49m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
29308
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
1m
What is a supporter
orangeman
5
1m
Props/forwards formation 2023
Alffi_7
50
1m
2022 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 24
taxi4stevesm
13
1m
Dons V Keighley Sunday 21st August 2022 3pm
Wilf Grimsha
4
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
29308
1m
RD 24 Warrington Wolves H
Frosties.
59
2m
Away from the stress of sl
winnintrin
5
2m
Wagstaff trophy 2022
H.G.S.A
6
2m
New coach
orangeman
87
2m
Hodgson
Marcus's Bic
529
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
71 yrs Ago Today
GeoffRoebuck
1
TODAY
Beggars belief
Victor
2
TODAY
Away from the stress of sl
winnintrin
5
TODAY
Hi all - Im still here
PopTart
4
TODAY
2023 OUT Bodene Thompson - Released
chapylad
11
TODAY
What is a supporter
orangeman
5
TODAY
South based Rhinosan appeal
Bang
2
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
christopher
25
TODAY
Matty Russell
Redscat
9
TODAY
Newcastle Home
Hudd-Shay
10
Random Topics selected.
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.36Million 1,674 79,18834,030
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre

TABLES:
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2022-R23
10:50
Souths
v
Penrith
     Super League XXVII-R24
20:00
Huddersfield
v
Castleford
 TOMORROW
     Super League XXVII-R24
20:00
Hull FC
v
Wakefield
 Thu 25th Aug
     Super League XXVII-R25
19:45
Salford
v
Hull FC
 Sun 28th Aug
     Super League XXVII-R26
15:00
Hull FC
v
Toulouse
 Sat 3rd Sep
     Super League XXVII-R27
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 18th Aug
SL RND: 24
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Fri 19th Aug
SL RND: 24
20:00
Hull FC-Wakefield
Wed 24th Aug
SL RND: 25
20:00
Leeds-Huddersfield
Thu 25th Aug
SL RND: 25
19:30
Toulouse-Catalans
Fri 26th Aug
SL RND: 25
20:00
Wigan-St.Helens
Sat 15th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
14:30
England-SAM
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
Australia-Fiji
Sun 16th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
17:00
JAM-IRE
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
NZ-Lebanon
WC2022 RND: 1
14:30
SCO-IRE
Mon 17th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
France-Greece
Tue 18th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
Tonga-PNG
Wed 19th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
WAL-Cook I
Fri 21st Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
Australia-SCO
Sat 22nd Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
14:30
Fiji-ITA
WC2022 RND: 2
17:00
England-France
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
NZ-JAM
Sun 23rd Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
14:30
Lebanon-IRE
WC2022 RND: 2
17:00
France-Greece
Mon 24th Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
Tonga-WAL
Mon 15th Aug
CH RND: 23 York16-20Bradford
Sun 14th Aug
SL RND: 23 Hull FC6-60St.Helens
SL RND: 23 Wakefield30-12Wigan
CH RND: 23 Batley12-30Barrow
CH RND: 23 Featherstone72-6Dewsbury
CH RND: 23 LondonB38-12Workington
CH RND: 23 Whitehaven12-26Widnes
CH RND: 23 Newcastle0-60Leigh
L1 RND: 19 Rochdale34-14Cornwall
L1 RND: 19 Keighley60-18Hunslet
L1 RND: 19 Midlands18-52Doncaster
L1 RND: 19 Oldham60-6LondonS
NRL RND: 22 Canberra24-22St.George
NRL RND: 22 Gold Coast44-24Manly
Sat 13th Aug
SL RND: 23 Salford33-16Huddersfield
L1 RND: 19 West Wales6-94Swinton
NRL RND: 22 Sydney32-18NQL Cowboys
NRL RND: 22 Wests12-36Cronulla
NRL RND: 22 Brisbane28-10Newcastle
Fri 12th Aug
SL RND: 23 Castleford18-8Catalans
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2022 ROUND : 23
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Leigh 23 1042 188 854 44
Featherstone 23 906 386 520 39
Halifax 23 701 384 317 34
Batley 23 650 425 225 32
Barrow 23 599 495 104 31
York 23 555 454 101 30
 
Widnes 23 518 565 -47 22
Bradford 23 477 560 -83 22
Sheffield 23 605 568 37 20
LondonB 23 472 592 -120 15
Newcastle 23 497 709 -212 15
Whitehaven 23 368 800 -432 11
Dewsbury 23 291 848 -557 5
Workington 23 244 951 -707 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2022 ROUND : 19
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Keighley 16 729 136 593 32
Crusaders 17 640 308 332 28
Swinton 17 699 269 430 26
Doncaster 17 600 344 256 26
Rochdale 17 622 423 199 24
Hunslet 17 463 424 39 17
 
Oldham 17 503 461 42 13
LondonS 17 362 639 -277 10
Midlands 17 434 628 -194 8
Cornwall 18 262 750 -488 2
West Wales 18 150 1082 -932 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVII ROUND : 23
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 23 572 282 290 38
Wigan 23 660 425 235 32
Huddersfield 23 509 419 90 29
Catalans 23 465 387 78 28
Castleford 23 497 502 -5 24
Leeds 23 503 456 47 23
 
Salford 23 562 528 34 22
Hull KR 23 406 520 -114 20
Hull FC 23 430 573 -143 20
Warrington 23 464 569 -105 16
Wakefield 23 405 590 -185 14
Toulouse 23 373 595 -222 10
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2022 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Penrith 21 556 319 237 34
Melbourne 21 630 358 272 30
NQL Cowboys 21 537 329 208 30
Cronulla 21 479 342 137 30
Souths 21 546 412 134 26
Brisbane 21 484 415 69 26
Parramatta 21 491 463 28 26
Sydney 21 521 396 125 24
 
Canberra 21 392 423 -31 22
Manly 21 458 486 -28 18
St.George 21 375 511 -136 18
Canterbury 21 356 497 -141 12
NZ Warriors 21 366 579 -213 12
Newcastle 21 308 560 -252 12
Gold Coast 21 366 562 -196 8
Wests 21 314 527 -213 8
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
9m
What position should Jake Connor play next season
Riderofthepa
40
11m
Away from the stress of sl
winnintrin
5
11m
2022 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 24
taxi4stevesm
13
11m
Props/forwards formation 2023
Alffi_7
50
16m
RD 24 Warrington Wolves H
Frosties.
59
26m
Hull on Friday
wrencat1873
46
43m
Wagstaff trophy 2022
H.G.S.A
6
48m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
12908
48m
Charity SL Predictions League 2022
wrencat1873
375
49m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
29308
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
1m
What is a supporter
orangeman
5
1m
Props/forwards formation 2023
Alffi_7
50
1m
2022 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 24
taxi4stevesm
13
1m
Dons V Keighley Sunday 21st August 2022 3pm
Wilf Grimsha
4
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
29308
1m
RD 24 Warrington Wolves H
Frosties.
59
2m
Away from the stress of sl
winnintrin
5
2m
Wagstaff trophy 2022
H.G.S.A
6
2m
New coach
orangeman
87
2m
Hodgson
Marcus's Bic
529
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
71 yrs Ago Today
GeoffRoebuck
1
TODAY
Beggars belief
Victor
2
TODAY
Away from the stress of sl
winnintrin
5
TODAY
Hi all - Im still here
PopTart
4
TODAY
2023 OUT Bodene Thompson - Released
chapylad
11
TODAY
What is a supporter
orangeman
5
TODAY
South based Rhinosan appeal
Bang
2
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
christopher
25
TODAY
Matty Russell
Redscat
9
TODAY
Newcastle Home
Hudd-Shay
10
Random Topics selected.


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!