WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - New play off structure?

Board index Super League Hull FC - blackandwhites.co.uk New play off structure?

Re: New play off structure? Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:36 am  

User avatarUllFC wrote:
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 15446
That would be absolutely ridiculous and make the game a laughing stock to casual sports fans. Its already hard enough to explain the near annual changes to format.

Also mid table sides like ours havent been consistently good enough to be Champions, we've had a better few weeks but we cant gloss over the heavy defeats earlier in the year.

I would however see the benefit of cancelling completely dead rubber games should both sides agree.
Re: New play off structure? Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:18 am  

ccs wrote:
ccs Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:58 pm
Posts: 4671
UllFC wrote:
I would however see the benefit of cancelling completely dead rubber games should both sides agree.


... and lose Sky money. Crazy.

RL would be dead and buried by now without the huge efforts being made by clubs and the RFL and, in particular, the full support of Sky.
Re: New play off structure? Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:08 am  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 3263
Location: Kingston upon Hull
Watching the Leeds v Cas game last night, I thought Castleford were outstanding and very unlucky not to win, it seemed like Tom Grant was on a mission to punish Cas at every opportunity, good game though.
Re: New play off structure? Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:04 pm  

User avatarChris71 wrote:
Chris71 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:46 am
Posts: 4963
Location: Never never land away with the fairies
UllFC wrote:
That would be absolutely ridiculous and make the game a laughing stock to casual sports fans. Its already hard enough to explain the near annual changes to format.

Also mid table sides like ours havent been consistently good enough to be Champions, we've had a better few weeks but we cant gloss over the heavy defeats earlier in the year.

I would however see the benefit of cancelling completely dead rubber games should both sides agree.


Its been an unfair and unlevel playing field this season due to the COVID situaton with clubs like ourselves playing and stepping up at last minute even with a number of injuries and players stood down due to covid etc.

So this season is about managing the situation as best as possible and I would say rather than being a laughing stock it the sport as a whole such be applauded for the commitment to keep the SL going for its survival.

I really don't see the issue with it as this season was pretty much a write off as soon as lockdown happened.

The RFL and the sport has a history of making a mess of things but this is certainly not the case this time.
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!
Re: New play off structure? Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:07 pm  

User avatarUllFC wrote:
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 15446
ccs wrote:
... and lose Sky money. Crazy.

RL would be dead and buried by now without the huge efforts being made by clubs and the RFL and, in particular, the full support of Sky.


That is an issue but SKY arent showing every game and they are understandably already covering sides low in the table like Rovers and Wakefield less. Im not sure they'd demand to screen a completely dead rubber game.

I still feel constantly tinkering with the rules and format ruins the games credibility long term.
Re: New play off structure? Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:19 pm  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 3263
Location: Kingston upon Hull
Salford unable to raise a team for Friday fixture against Warrington, Warrington awarded the points.
Re: New play off structure? Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:25 pm  

User avatarUllFC wrote:
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 15446
Riderofthepalehorse wrote:
Salford unable to raise a team for Friday fixture against Warrington, Warrington awarded the points.


Which is what Union have been doing and what should have happened in some other weeks. Stops all this confusing chopping and changing and might make some players take it more seriously.

Also needs looking at why so many RL players are catching it compared to Football and Union. Location is one factor (but Football has clubs in high risk areas too) as is that our players aren't millionaires so live and shop in more 'normal' places and aren't hiding in gated mansions...but every week RL has many cases. Are our rules and procedures strict enough?
Re: New play off structure? Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:47 pm  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 3263
Location: Kingston upon Hull
UllFC wrote:
Which is what Union have been doing and what should have happened in some other weeks. Stops all this confusing chopping and changing and might make some players take it more seriously.

Also needs looking at why so many RL players are catching it compared to Football and Union. Location is one factor (but Football has clubs in high risk areas too) as is that our players aren't millionaires so live and shop in more 'normal' places and aren't hiding in gated mansions...but every week RL has many cases. Are our rules and procedures strict enough?


I think regarding the Salford v Warrington game, the forfeit has been made under the RL rules of not being able to raise a team, not sure but on this occasion no Covid excuse, just lack of troops.

As you rightly state, our players are not rich or privileged enough to follow safety isolation protocols set out in the NRL for example. Our lads wives and girlfriends must work, a lot of them in the NHS, there are the issues of the North South divide, and the high rate of infections in the Northern areas especially, and the areas of poverty and high unemployment.

The RFL & Super League have bumbled and limped their way home, usually on the hoof, in very difficult circumstances, mistakes have been made, this virus has tested mankind,
Re: New play off structure? Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:56 pm  

Dave K. wrote:
Dave K. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:48 am
Posts: 19928
Location: Back in Hull.
Think this will be the last weekend, if that's the case it has to be a 6 team play off, as all of these teams could still make the top 4.

3 vs 6
4 vs 5

1 and 2 get a bye.
Re: New play off structure? Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:04 pm  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 3263
Location: Kingston upon Hull
Dave K. wrote:
Think this will be the last weekend, if that's the case it has to be a 6 team play off, as all of these teams could still make the top 4.

3 vs 6
4 vs 5

1 and 2 get a bye.


If Sky allow it Dave, we should stop now, no one can deny the efforts of all clubs to complete in terrible circumstances. Begin the playoffs at the first available chance, then end this miserable season ASAP.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B0NES, Boardwalkempire2, bonaire, ComeOnYouUll, des lawson, FC chucky, FoD FC Army, fosdyke99, GiantJake1988, jamesg794, K-Diddy, Large Paws, Magic Superbeetle, Marcus's Bicycle, Mike1966, MorningGlory23, mwindass, oooh Gravy!, paperboy, supersport, themightynortherner, Windy winger and 173 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Hull FC - blackandwhites.co.uk


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,105,2401,33978,3624,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X