WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Salford end Hull play-off hopes? Is this right?

Board index Super League Hull FC - blackandwhites.co.uk Salford end Hull play-off hopes? Is this right?

afootingmiracle21-12 Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 pm
Posts: 4
According to the BBC, Salford's win ends Hull's play off hopes? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54235472
Am i being stupid and missing something obvious, or can someone explain this?

Hulls win ratio is 5/12 = 41.6%
Those in the play offs 8/11 = 72%

BUT...if Hull won their remaining games they would move to 65% - those in the top 4 would still need 5 more wins to achieve that.

So if Wigan / Wire Catalans etc were to lose 5/9 of their final games - which is perfectly feasible - They'd end up on 60%. Hull could, theoretically at least, still finish top!!!

Is there some magic formula or determination because of who plays who, or anyone who can explain this? As far as i see it, its now much more unlikely but Hull can still (without too much of a miracle), reach 4th!!

User avatarComeOnYouUll wrote:
ComeOnYouUll User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 18906
afootingmiracle21-12 wrote:
According to the BBC, Salford's win ends Hull's play off hopes? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54235472
Am i being stupid and missing something obvious, or can someone explain this?

Hulls win ratio is 5/12 = 41.6%
Those in the play offs 8/11 = 72%

BUT...if Hull won their remaining games they would move to 65% - those in the top 4 would still need 5 more wins to achieve that.

So if Wigan / Wire Catalans etc were to lose 5/9 of their final games - which is perfectly feasible - They'd end up on 60%. Hull could, theoretically at least, still finish top!!!

Is there some magic formula or determination because of who plays who, or anyone who can explain this? As far as i see it, its now much more unlikely but Hull can still (without too much of a miracle), reach 4th!!


I think I've spotted the fundamental flaw in your argument.
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 2709
Location: Kingston upon Hull
afootingmiracle21-12 wrote:
According to the BBC, Salford's win ends Hull's play off hopes? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54235472
Am i being stupid and missing something obvious, or can someone explain this?

Hulls win ratio is 5/12 = 41.6%
Those in the play offs 8/11 = 72%

BUT...if Hull won their remaining games they would move to 65% - those in the top 4 would still need 5 more wins to achieve that.

So if Wigan / Wire Catalans etc were to lose 5/9 of their final games - which is perfectly feasible - They'd end up on 60%. Hull could, theoretically at least, still finish top!!!

Is there some magic formula or determination because of who plays who, or anyone who can explain this? As far as i see it, its now much more unlikely but Hull can still (without too much of a miracle), reach 4th!!



They think it’s all over :D

Your not stupid, a tad optimistic, and hope springs eternal.

User avatarLarge Paws wrote:
Large Paws User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:16 pm
Posts: 393
Location: In two minds
afootingmiracle21-12 wrote:
According to the BBC, Salford's win ends Hull's play off hopes? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54235472
Am i being stupid and missing something obvious, or can someone explain this?

Hulls win ratio is 5/12 = 41.6%
Those in the play offs 8/11 = 72%

BUT...if Hull won their remaining games they would move to 65% - those in the top 4 would still need 5 more wins to achieve that.

So if Wigan / Wire Catalans etc were to lose 5/9 of their final games - which is perfectly feasible - They'd end up on 60%. Hull could, theoretically at least, still finish top!!!

Is there some magic formula or determination because of who plays who, or anyone who can explain this? As far as i see it, its now much more unlikely but Hull can still (without too much of a miracle), reach 4th!!

Strangely, the same BBC that report on Castleford having “A huge dent” in their play off hopes, after being beaten by Huddersfield.
Unless I’m missing something, Cas have the exact same win/loss ratio as FC.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Airlie1984, Boardwalkempire2, ComeOnYouUll, Dave K., Irregular Hoops, Jake the Peg, K-Diddy, Marcus's Bicycle, themightynortherner, tommyfinn, UllFC, Wilde 3 and 107 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Hull FC - blackandwhites.co.uk


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,086,57599178,2924,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!



X