WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - new coach
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:53 pm  

User avatarpmarrow wrote:
pmarrow User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Riderofthepalehorse wrote:
I’ll listen pmarrow :D

Think our supporters play a big factor, win and we are great and lose we are bad. The pressure our supporters add is unbelievable for a club who has only averaged 1 piece of silverware per 10 years for the last 30 years. We have huge potential but I feel we dowse a fire before its allowed to burn at times. Patience is something we don't seem blessed with. It will take any coach at least two seasons before any coach gets us to the level Saints or Wigan play at, I just can't see us being that patient to allow that to happen.

We also lose out to top talent should we come up against the big 3, which makes it hard for a coach. Our best case is unearthing an unproven gem but then again we will only ever be a stepping stone and I'm not sure that's a direction AP wants to go.

The fact AP has had to approach Watson tells you the people who have applied are either unproven or not at the top end of the spectrum. If a top candidate had im sure he would be in charge.
Last edited by pmarrow on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter : @TheResidentPete
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:49 pm  

ccs wrote:
ccs Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

pmarrow wrote:
The fact AP has had to approach Watson tells you the people who have applied are either unproven or not at the top end of the spectrum. If a top candidate had im sure he would be in charge.

.... may also be down to salary demands.
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:56 pm  

User avatarKaren wrote:
Karen User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

I also think location is a massive part too. I live in Cas now, and as a result I'm in easy reach of all the Yorkshire clubs and even the Lancashire clubs are only an hour (ish) away. This means that anyone further West than I'd say Leeds, would have to relocate to Hull as travelling would be a real ballache. Watson for example, can move to any of the other SL clubs really easily without relocating his entire family, with the exception of Hull.
:DAISY: Black 'n' White's Best Female 2006 & Runner Up 2007 & 2008 :DAISY:
"We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club", A Pearson 23/09/2011
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:01 pm  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Karen wrote:
I also think location is a massive part too. I live in Cas now, and as a result I'm in easy reach of all the Yorkshire clubs and even the Lancashire clubs are only an hour (ish) away. This means that anyone further West than I'd say Leeds, would have to relocate to Hull as travelling would be a real ballache. Watson for example, can move to any of the other SL clubs really easily without relocating his entire family, with the exception of Hull.

Daryl it is then :D
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:09 pm  

User avatarweaver93 wrote:
weaver93 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

pmarrow wrote:
Think our supporters play a big factor, win and we are great and lose we are bad. The pressure our supporters add is unbelievable for a club who has only averaged 1 piece of silverware per 10 years for the last 30 years. We have huge potential but I feel we dowse a fire before its allowed to burn at times. Patience is something we don't seem blessed with. It will take any coach at least two seasons before any coach gets us to the level Saints or Wigan play at, I just can't see us being that patient to allow that to happen.

We also lose out to top talent should we come up against the big 3, which makes it hard for a coach. Our best case is unearthing an unproven gem but then again we will only ever be a stepping stone and I'm not sure that's a direction AP wants to go.

I mostly agree with your post...
Regarding pressure from the supporters, I feel this high expectation level originally stems from the club itself...
When a new signing is announced for example, the club's marketing policy goes into overdrive,hypes the signing to sell passes to such an extent the fans expect the team to be winners/runners up in all competitions, coupled with AP's expectation to be top 4...
I dont agree, it will take 2 seasons,I seem to remember both Maguire and Holbrook had an immediate
massive impact on the way Wigan/Saints changed their style of play .
This again depends on AP's ability to get the right man..whoever it may be...
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:13 pm  

pmarrow User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

ccs wrote:
.... may also be down to salary demands.

As Karen rightly suggests the relocating may mean some would demand more in salary to compensate, especially those already in employment.

I think AP would pay it though if the price wasn't ridiculous, he knows the importance of a top coach to the club.
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:15 pm  

pmarrow User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

weaver93 wrote:
Regarding pressure from the supporters, I feel this high expectation level originally stems from the club itself...
When a new signing is announced for example, the club's marketing policy goes into overdrive,hypes the signing to sell passes to such an extent the fans expect the team to be winners/runners up in all competitions, coupled with AP's expectation to be top 4...
I dont agree, it will take 2 seasons,I seem to remember both Maguire and Holbrook had an immediate

Your Holbrook and Maguire situations are very rare though, and Holbrook actually won silverware at the end of his second full season. You cant fault the marketing team its there job to do that, progress is progress and I think even if we do get a top coach most will want him sacked if no silverware at the end of the first season.
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:22 pm  

Dave K. wrote:
Dave K. 100% League Network
100% League Network

weaver93 wrote:

Dont all teams do that with new signings, that is their job, I never thought our media department go over the top compared to other clubs?
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 pm  

User avatarChris71 wrote:
Chris71 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

pmarrow wrote:
weaver93 wrote:

Your Holbrook and Maguire situations are very rare though, and Holbrook actually won silverware at the end of his second full season. You cant fault the marketing team its there job to do that, progress is progress and I think even if we do get a top coach most will want him sacked if no silverware at the end of the first season.

I think we have been very patient but patience isn't an infinite entity eventually it runs out. The fans gave Radford plenty of time but it after not kicking on from the CC in 2016 and then going backwards and the same things being repeated such as blow our scores and the vast difference between good and performances just getting worse instead of better, despite the huge investment in the playing staff and facilities.
This was partly why Gentle was sacked due to the huge gaps in performance/results and to be fair it reall didnt get any better under Radford other than 2016 then we blew the change of a grand final on the back of the first win at Wembley.

We are no different as fans to any other as if the coach isnt doing a good enough job and the team is not turning out the level of performance it should then fans have every right to lose patience if nothing is changing whether its RL, football, ice hockey or any sport.

If fans can see that things are changing and the issues on the filed in game stiuations that always set the club back are been resolved then we as fans are patient.
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!
Re: new coach Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:17 pm  

pmarrow User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Chris71 wrote:
I think we have been very patient but patience isn't an infinite entity eventually it runs out. The fans gave Radford plenty of time but it after not kicking on from the CC in 2016 and then going backwards and the same things being repeated such as blow our scores and the vast difference between good and performances just getting worse instead of better, despite the huge investment in the playing staff and facilities.
This was partly why Gentle was sacked due to the huge gaps in performance/results and to be fair it reall didnt get any better under Radford other than 2016 then we blew the change of a grand final on the back of the first win at Wembley.

We are no different as fans to any other as if the coach isnt doing a good enough job and the team is not turning out the level of performance it should then fans have every right to lose patience if nothing is changing whether its RL, football, ice hockey or any sport.

If fans can see that things are changing and the issues on the filed in game stiuations that always set the club back are been resolved then we as fans are patient.

I massively disagree, Radford was slated way before 2016 and 2017 seasons. I get embarrassed by some comments by our supporters when we lose. Some is warranted but alot goes way OTT one week a person says Kelly doesn't care the next he is the best 6 in the league. We as supporters are very fickle considering we don't have the trophy cabinet to back it up, I think it is a major reason why we don't get the big coaches. They need to build and not have supporters put way too much pressure on the team and knock the confidence out the club.
PreviousNext