WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - End of Season Report
End of Season Report
Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 pm
Posted by Wilde 3 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 pm
Wilde 3 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 340
Rep Position: 68th / 77,860

Quiz Score: 496

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:14 am
Posts: 6679
My thoughts, feel free to agree or disagree!

Jamie Shaul - single figures for tries and assists make him the least effective Full Back in SL. Cannot pass and either needs to learn this skill, or his position is under threat (I would move Carlos to FB!). Tonight demonstrated what he lacks, and if we cannot use him as a pivot, he should be there as an option for offloads, but on the numerous half breaks we made tonight, he was nowhere.

Bureta Faraimo - mixed bag from Bureta. No doubt his go forward out of back field is strong, but defensively he is poor. I don't know if that is purely down to him, or a combination of his inside defenders getting it wrong forcing him into making a decision to stick to his winger, or shoot out to force an error - but he needs to improve this. Next year I can see him sharing the left wing position with Swift.

Carlos Tuimavave - underrated by many, but I like this kid. Very classy with the ball, strong and good defensively. I would have him training at FB next season, to allow Connor and Fonua to be the centres (with Griff and Scott as the back up). Some of his better games in the NRL were at full back, chiming into the line, and can miss a man with a pass which our current FB cannot.

Josh Griffin - good season from Griff. The move through to Hull and his surgery at the end of last season definitely helping his consistency levels. Sounds like he will be moving into the back row, and being used at Centre if short there due to injury. Unsure on the success of this move, and if he has the work rate/stamina to be a good 2nd rower

Jake Connor - well, what can be said. Incredibly gifted and capable of sublime moments, and completely stupid moments. He seems the kind of player that consistently needs to be told how good he is, and is a test of Radford's management skills. I have said it before but, this kid could be a world class centre, but only a good stand off. Needs to focus on that role and continue on from the middle of this season when his combination with Kelly and Ratu was fantastic.

Ratu Naulago - Find of the season! Went quiet towards the end of the season but looking forward to next year and what he can do. Needs to be more composed if/when he makes a break, tries to force it too much (maybe a trait from his 7's experience), but that will come as he grows into Rugby League.

Albert Kelly - essential he stays fit next season, but for that to happen, he needs to lose some weight. He looks double what he was in 2017! His defence continues to be outstanding and love his aggression, but needs to get that yard of pace back to be a threat with the ball again.

Marc Sneyd - I see so many flaw's to his game that I continue to have disagreements with fans about Sneyd. People will raise his Lance Todd trophies, but if we are saying that Radford should be judged on now and not his cup wins, then the same should be for Sneyd. His passing is wayward, his kicking is tentative (attacking kicks, where he just dabs it in the air instead of putting his boot through it), his inability to attack the line and commit defenders to allow his outside runners to have more space. He would definitely benefit from an attack coach

Scott Taylor - below par for me for the majority of this year. Cannot doubt his passion for the badge, and he has improved the last few games. I think this is down to having people like Bowden and Satae in the side and we are not reliant on 60 minutes a game from him. Hope (selfishly) he doesn't get in the GB side and can benefit from a rest and attack next year with a new look pack around him.

Danny Houghton - again, below par for me. Distribution and decision making from Danny contribute to his lack of international recognition. Perhaps our attack is stifled by such slow passing from DH, and at times is very wayward. Can't knock his defence, but would definitely benefit from being interchanged with JJ next year

Micky Paea - decent. Good games where he made some good carries, but inconsistent. Enjoy your retirement

Sika Manu - decent. Lacked the impact and intensity of previous seasons, but he admits his body wasn't right this year. Perhaps a year too many for Sika but thank you for the memories

Mark Minichiello - I like Mark. Ultimate professional which I hope has rubbed off onto some of our younger players. Will go down in history for the 2016 and 2017 cup wins, and also for knocking on in every single game he played! Enjoy your retirement Mini!

Josh Bowden - this season was about getting his confidence and fitness back. He will be keen to get a strong pre season in, good squad player. Hits hard in D.

Joe Westerman - started the season well, added another threat with the ball, but when you are going to be remembered for your knee cap as opposed to what you did with the ball, maybe says it all.

Masi Matongo - awful year for the kid, but sometimes these things define you as a person. Hits hard in defence, but would like to see him run his weight more, he certainly has the size.

Brad Fash - did OK, teachers pet. Decent back up for next year.

The rest will continue to add depth to an all round stronger squad next season!

Roll on 2020
Re: End of Season Report
Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:06 am
Posted by weaver93 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:06 am
weaver93 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 295th / 77,860

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:25 pm
Posts: 3487
Location: West Hull
Wilde 3 wrote:
My thoughts, feel free to agree or disagree!

Jamie Shaul - single figures for tries and assists make him the least effective Full Back in SL. Cannot pass and either needs to learn this skill, or his position is under threat (I would move Carlos to FB!). Tonight demonstrated what he lacks, and if we cannot use him as a pivot, he should be there as an option for offloads, but on the numerous half breaks we made tonight, he was nowhere.

Bureta Faraimo - mixed bag from Bureta. No doubt his go forward out of back field is strong, but defensively he is poor. I don't know if that is purely down to him, or a combination of his inside defenders getting it wrong forcing him into making a decision to stick to his winger, or shoot out to force an error - but he needs to improve this. Next year I can see him sharing the left wing position with Swift.

Carlos Tuimavave - underrated by many, but I like this kid. Very classy with the ball, strong and good defensively. I would have him training at FB next season, to allow Connor and Fonua to be the centres (with Griff and Scott as the back up). Some of his better games in the NRL were at full back, chiming into the line, and can miss a man with a pass which our current FB cannot.

Josh Griffin - good season from Griff. The move through to Hull and his surgery at the end of last season definitely helping his consistency levels. Sounds like he will be moving into the back row, and being used at Centre if short there due to injury. Unsure on the success of this move, and if he has the work rate/stamina to be a good 2nd rower

Jake Connor - well, what can be said. Incredibly gifted and capable of sublime moments, and completely stupid moments. He seems the kind of player that consistently needs to be told how good he is, and is a test of Radford's management skills. I have said it before but, this kid could be a world class centre, but only a good stand off. Needs to focus on that role and continue on from the middle of this season when his combination with Kelly and Ratu was fantastic.

Ratu Naulago - Find of the season! Went quiet towards the end of the season but looking forward to next year and what he can do. Needs to be more composed if/when he makes a break, tries to force it too much (maybe a trait from his 7's experience), but that will come as he grows into Rugby League.

Albert Kelly - essential he stays fit next season, but for that to happen, he needs to lose some weight. He looks double what he was in 2017! His defence continues to be outstanding and love his aggression, but needs to get that yard of pace back to be a threat with the ball again.

Marc Sneyd - I see so many flaw's to his game that I continue to have disagreements with fans about Sneyd. People will raise his Lance Todd trophies, but if we are saying that Radford should be judged on now and not his cup wins, then the same should be for Sneyd. His passing is wayward, his kicking is tentative (attacking kicks, where he just dabs it in the air instead of putting his boot through it), his inability to attack the line and commit defenders to allow his outside runners to have more space. He would definitely benefit from an attack coach

Scott Taylor - below par for me for the majority of this year. Cannot doubt his passion for the badge, and he has improved the last few games. I think this is down to having people like Bowden and Satae in the side and we are not reliant on 60 minutes a game from him. Hope (selfishly) he doesn't get in the GB side and can benefit from a rest and attack next year with a new look pack around him.

Danny Houghton - again, below par for me. Distribution and decision making from Danny contribute to his lack of international recognition. Perhaps our attack is stifled by such slow passing from DH, and at times is very wayward. Can't knock his defence, but would definitely benefit from being interchanged with JJ next year

Micky Paea - decent. Good games where he made some good carries, but inconsistent. Enjoy your retirement

Sika Manu - decent. Lacked the impact and intensity of previous seasons, but he admits his body wasn't right this year. Perhaps a year too many for Sika but thank you for the memories

Mark Minichiello - I like Mark. Ultimate professional which I hope has rubbed off onto some of our younger players. Will go down in history for the 2016 and 2017 cup wins, and also for knocking on in every single game he played! Enjoy your retirement Mini!

Josh Bowden - this season was about getting his confidence and fitness back. He will be keen to get a strong pre season in, good squad player. Hits hard in D.

Joe Westerman - started the season well, added another threat with the ball, but when you are going to be remembered for your knee cap as opposed to what you did with the ball, maybe says it all.

Masi Matongo - awful year for the kid, but sometimes these things define you as a person. Hits hard in defence, but would like to see him run his weight more, he certainly has the size.

Brad Fash - did OK, teachers pet. Decent back up for next year.

The rest will continue to add depth to an all round stronger squad next season!

Roll on 2020


Good post, the only thing I disagree with Sneyd.
He doesnt attack the line, as he very rarely has support players., IF he did attack the line,he would be getting frequently bashed. Again this is a failure of attack preparation.
When Matty Smith was at Wigan,he never got tackled, he always attacked the line,as he always had 2/3 players with him..
Apart from that, an excellent appraisal..
Re: End of Season Report
Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:50 am
Posted by Bombed Out on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:50 am
Bombed Out Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 181
Rep Position: 145th / 77,860

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Posts: 963
weaver93 wrote:
Good post, the only thing I disagree with Sneyd.
He doesnt attack the line, as he very rarely has support players., IF he did attack the line,he would be getting frequently bashed. Again this is a failure of attack preparation.
When Matty Smith was at Wigan,he never got tackled, he always attacked the line,as he always had 2/3 players with him..
Apart from that, an excellent appraisal..


I think it is an accurate appraisal and I agree with the op on Sneyd and disagree with your opinion on him.
He's a player that really divides opinion.
His pass options are shocking at times, does not take the line on and create space but is a decent kicker.
I think not having a recognised SH at Hull for a long time has made people more sentimental and protective of Sneyd
Re: End of Season Report
Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 am
Posted by Armavinit on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 am
Armavinit User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 205
Rep Position: 129th / 77,860

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 1189
As a long time visitor and ex Governor, for the good of the school, I have reported the whole sports department to Ofsted, hopefully to be placed in special measures and bring on huge improvements next year. If not then I hope the Head Master will take actions to speed the process along.
Re: End of Season Report
Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:38 am
Posted by Irregular Hoops on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:38 am
Irregular Hoops User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 181
Rep Position: 145th / 77,860

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:30 pm
Posts: 2972
Location: Kingston upon Hull F.C.
I’ve advocated for years now that we need a pivot at full back who can find a pass, and Connor would be ideal for that.
Just can’t see how we can improve our attacking game until that happens, it’s so obvious.
Re: End of Season Report
Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 am
Posted by Smiggs on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 am
Smiggs User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 56
Rep Position: 252nd / 77,860

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:30 pm
Posts: 9327
Location: Hull
Irregular Hoops wrote:
I’ve advocated for years now that we need a pivot at full back who can find a pass, and Connor would be ideal for that.
Just can’t see how we can improve our attacking game until that happens, it’s so obvious.

If everyone believe's removing Shaul from the team will turn us into the attacking force we should be then your wrong. What we need to do is get our underperforming highly paid main playmakers doing their jobs. Let's teach our one dimensional scrum half the ability to pass and run. Let's get our fat halfback fit. And finally let's get our sulky one motivated to play well more than once every half dozen games. Then we'll see improvements.
Re: End of Season Report
Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:03 am
Posted by Irregular Hoops on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:03 am
Irregular Hoops User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 181
Rep Position: 145th / 77,860

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:30 pm
Posts: 2972
Location: Kingston upon Hull F.C.
Smiggs wrote:
If everyone believe's removing Shaul from the team will turn us into the attacking force we should be then your wrong. What we need to do is get our underperforming highly paid main playmakers doing their jobs. Let's teach our one dimensional scrum half the ability to pass and run. Let's get our fat halfback fit. And finally let's get our sulky one motivated to play well more than once every half dozen games. Then we'll see improvements.


Might help if the half backs had another pivot who could join the line and find a decent pass.
Re: End of Season Report
Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:22 am
Posted by Smiggs on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:22 am
Smiggs User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 56
Rep Position: 252nd / 77,860

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:30 pm
Posts: 9327
Location: Hull
Irregular Hoops wrote:
Might help if the half backs had another pivot who could join the line and find a decent pass.

So it's all Shauls fault that the those 3, probably the highest earners at the club can't create anything or lead our side around the pitch. Delusional.
Re: End of Season Report
Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:25 am
Posted by ccs on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:25 am
ccs Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 446
Rep Position: 44th / 77,860

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:58 pm
Posts: 3984
I wonder if there is any truth in the rumour that Shaul has signed for cas?
Re: End of Season Report
Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 am
Posted by Irregular Hoops on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 am
Irregular Hoops User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 181
Rep Position: 145th / 77,860

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:30 pm
Posts: 2972
Location: Kingston upon Hull F.C.
Smiggs wrote:
So it's all Shauls fault that the those 3, probably the highest earners at the club can't create anything or lead our side around the pitch. Delusional.


Just an observation on my part.
Blimey
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brid B&W, DABHAND, edinburgh yorkie, Large Paws, RuddyScoosers, subwaysav and 129 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Hull FC - blackandwhites.co.uk


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,969,9442,09077,8604,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





34