Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:58 pm  
Re: Hull on Friday
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:58 pm  
coco the fullback User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
Spookisback wrote:
I don’t think it’s been a crap season… there are many games this season I’ve enjoyed… a couple of forgettable games… but we’ve overcome a massive injury toll … blooded several talented young players… watched some players disappoint and some emerge…

We will lose a few at the end of the season and a few will come in… in my near fifty years as a fan I think this rates as an average season… (83/84/85/94/95/01/05 immediately spring to mind as worse) but with some very bright lights (Murphy Hall Aydin, Whitbread… and even though he’s on his way out I think batch has been a stand out character and should have been captain of the team)

I’ll be awake early in the morning to watch the game with the same enthusiasm I had back in 75 for my first season

10 games this year have ended within a single score difference. We won 3 and lost 7. Despite all the injuries, we could have been safely mid-table had some of them gone the other way.
There were obvious poor performances, (Cas, Leeds, Salford) which put a downward slant on the season, but all teams have bad weeks.
Plan A (give it to Johnstone and Fifita) fell apart quite rapidly with the disruption of long-term, season-ending injuries and it took a while to settle on a winning combination.
It seemed to me that something was wrong in the camp around mid-season, which was remedied by shipping out certain players and strengthening where possible. We ended up with a pretty big squad after starting with smaller higher quality.
Hopefully, tonight will see an end to relegation fears and we can start to build for next season. It appears that the squad will look significantly different to this year's.
Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:07 pm  
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:07 pm  
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:
Like a squad not good enough to cover said injuries despite being lucky with Hall and Murphy. We have still only won 7 games and are once again fighting for our survival. I am sure you will be able to explain why this as been the same for the last three seasons.
We are not alone to have injured players but we have been the second worst team to cover the losses. This suggests we’ve had more than any other team which we haven’t or the squad strength is not good enough.

Lack of money to buy quality players.
Financially surviving the pandemic where fulfilling the sky contract was more important than results.
Distraction of the stadium development.
Keeping hold of a coach who had run out of ideas to turn things around.
Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:22 pm  
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:22 pm  
Scarlet Pimpernell Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 9 years
Lack of money to buy quality players. - we had a good squad but allowed it to be diluted and brought in cheaper older or project players.

Financially surviving the pandemic where fulfilling the sky contract was more important than results. - same for every team, we were not an exception and with our wage bill being the smallest we should have faired better than other teams but definitely not worse.

Distraction of the stadium development. - should not impact the on field performances or recruitment

Keeping hold of a coach who had run out of ideas to turn things around.[/quote] - that I agree with, everybody but one could see he had reached his best before date.
Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:35 pm  
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:35 pm  

User avatarTimmySmith wrote:
TimmySmith User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 1 year
hull2524 wrote:
Safe journey over lads

Cheers Ronald McDonald
Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:38 pm  
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:38 pm  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Member for 14 years
Lack of money to buy quality players. - we had a good squad but allowed it to be diluted and brought in cheaper older or project players.

Financially surviving the pandemic where fulfilling the sky contract was more important than results. - same for every team, we were not an exception and with our wage bill being the smallest we should have faired better than other teams but definitely not worse.

Distraction of the stadium development. - should not impact the on field performances or recruitment

Keeping hold of a coach who had run out of ideas to turn things around - that I agree with, everybody but one could see he had reached his best before date.

Your lack of understanding of why things happen always astounds me.

The point about the close games makes the point perfectly. If just 3 of those near misses and fallen our way we'd be equal 8th looking to beat Hull to go into playoff places. Tom could easily have been that difference alone let alone all the others.
Leeds, Hull and Cas have all struggled when injuries hit and gone from contender to easy beats in one game. That's just how it is.
We are in a good position that we are losing some big earners who weren't actually playing this year and can replace with fresh talent.
We'll see what Willie can do with that soon enough.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:39 pm  
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:39 pm  
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
Examples?
No sugar daddy as buffer, totally reliant on sky
Skeleton staff doing multiple roles
Keeping hold of a coach who had run out of ideas to turn things around - that I agree with, everybody but one could see he had reached his best before date.
Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:16 pm  
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:16 pm  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 18 years
Spookisback wrote:
I don’t think it’s been a crap season… there are many games this season I’ve enjoyed… a couple of forgettable games… but we’ve overcome a massive injury toll … blooded several talented young players… watched some players disappoint and some emerge…

We will lose a few at the end of the season and a few will come in… in my near fifty years as a fan I think this rates as an average season… (83/84/85/94/95/01/05 immediately spring to mind as worse) but with some very bright lights (Murphy Hall Aydin, Whitbread… and even though he’s on his way out I think batch has been a stand out character and should have been captain of the team)

I’ll be awake early in the morning to watch the game with the same enthusiasm I had back in 75 for my first season

Don't agree with that tbh. After 3 seasons where we have had a huge injury list I think we have just been average this season.

Yes we have a slimmer squad than some but enough to cover this season. True, some key players have been missing but IMHO not enough to call us injury hit, not this time.

FWIW I'd say that I'm disappointed that some of those who stepped up just didn't have it in them. Minns and to a lesser degree Croft didn't fill the gap left by Lyne. Lineham simply didn't offer an alternative for either Tom or Kershaw. All the same I honestly don't recall us putting out a team that on paper at least wasn't capable of competing and none that should have had 70 shipped past them.

We are still without those key players now but in the last four weeks we have seen a completely different team despite largely being the same players. That I think is whats made it a crap season to many, it's obviously always been there, so where did it disappear to for so long?
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:19 pm  
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:19 pm  
Scarlet Pimpernell Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 9 years
1 - Atkins, Brough, Minns, Butler,Woods, Lineham and the chap from the armed forces etc.

2 - They have had ten seasons to bring in investment but have singularly failed to do so. In a recent interview our CEO indicated little would change until the revamped stadium comes online.

3 - The skeleton staff after 10 seasons is just further proof of a poorly run club which I presume is the reason for the reduction in the numbers allowed in the North Stand.

With regards PT’s post yes we will have a much reduced salary outlay and by definition a loss of our better players but history suggests our signing criteria is more cost than improvement but I am willing to be proved wrong next season but I don’t have your unwavering beliefs.
I don’t know what length of contracts Hall and Murphy are on but signing both these to long terms deals would be a small step forward.
Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:27 pm  
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:27 pm  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 18 years
1 - Atkins, Brough, Minns, Butler,Woods, Lineham and the chap from the armed forces etc.

2 - They have had ten seasons to bring in investment but have singularly failed to do so. In a recent interview our CEO indicated little would change until the revamped stadium comes online.

3 - The skeleton staff after 10 seasons is just further proof of a poorly run club which I presume is the reason for the reduction in the numbers allowed in the North Stand.

With regards PT’s post yes we will have a much reduced salary outlay and by definition a loss of our better players but history suggests our signing criteria is more cost than improvement but I am willing to be proved wrong next season but I don’t have your unwavering beliefs.
I don’t know what length of contracts Hall and Murphy are on but signing both these to long terms deals would be a small step forward.

:SLEEPY: Jeez, I thought I was boring.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Hull on Friday Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:34 pm  
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:34 pm  

Luppylad wrote:
Luppylad Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 2 years
PopTart wrote:
Like injuries

To be fair we have had injurys but so has every other team to be fair and added to that some of our players whonhave been injured isnt surprising we started with both kershaw and billy long term,tommy well when did he last play more than he didnt,

Personnally looking forward to see season ending hoping we are still sl then see who willie brings in most of his signings have been decent
PreviousNext