FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - WIGAN
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:49 am  
Redscat wrote:
No! Not quite as intimate as Miller Lino. :)

More in the sense that I think the game was a bit too fast for Big Dave, and that he would have slowed it down somewhat. It was a very fast paced game for our forwards who handled the weather conditions perfectly.


Interesting and I think you may have a point.
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:37 am  
vastman wrote:
I think what summed Wigan up on the day was not so much a lack of effort but a lack of control if that makes sense. I though the big forward Shorrocks?? was awesome but it was unusually French and Field who failed.

I haven't looked yet but I'm pretty certain the Murphy try came from Field doing a bit of casual show boating, and at that point Wigan were still in it. Might be wrong on that but if I'm correct it served him right.

Over all I was impressed with Wigan, more so than Saints. Mainly because Wigan are actually a fairly ordinary side minus French, Field and a few who were missing, but they still played to the end.



I think it was Liam Byrne you are referring to who has been excellent this year for Wigan.

He is one of the young forwards who has kicked on under the new regime at Wigan after a few years where he looked like he wasn’t going to reach his potential.

What struck me about Wigan was the lack of leadership and direction.

Isa is in the leadership team however in front of him for captain duties are Leului, Farrell, Powell and Bateman.

Smithies has become a leader too this year despite his young age.

I think with Huddersfield losing on Saturday a bit of complacency crept in and Trinity stifled the space the 3 main strike players can normally generate.

If plan A didn’t work there was no plan B.

Speaking to a few of the Wigan fans after the game they were very complementary of the Trinity performance and couldn’t understand how they were in the position they find themselves.

I don’t Toulouse picking up a win next week however their last 3 fixtures worry me.

Catalans are not firing and they are at home, Hull seem to have given up and Saints will have secured the LLS by the last game and may well choose to field a weakened team with a view to having one eye on the play offs.

The 2 Hull games are massive, just typical Hull will probably be looking to bounce back after the shower they put up this weekend vs Saints.
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:54 am  
jonh wrote:
I think it was Liam Byrne you are referring to who has been excellent this year for Wigan.

He is one of the young forwards who has kicked on under the new regime at Wigan after a few years where he looked like he wasn’t going to reach his potential.

What struck me about Wigan was the lack of leadership and direction.

Isa is in the leadership team however in front of him for captain duties are Leului, Farrell, Powell and Bateman.

Smithies has become a leader too this year despite his young age.

I think with Huddersfield losing on Saturday a bit of complacency crept in and Trinity stifled the space the 3 main strike players can normally generate.

If plan A didn’t work there was no plan B.

Speaking to a few of the Wigan fans after the game they were very complementary of the Trinity performance and couldn’t understand how they were in the position they find themselves.

I don’t Toulouse picking up a win next week however their last 3 fixtures worry me.

Catalans are not firing and they are at home, Hull seem to have given up and Saints will have secured the LLS by the last game and may well choose to field a weakened team with a view to having one eye on the play offs.

The 2 Hull games are massive, just typical Hull will probably be looking to bounce back after the shower they put up this weekend vs Saints.


Yep, it's definitely not over yet despite how we all feel today.

That said I think if we can pinch a win against Hull or KR we can do it but it all depends on how much spirit both ourselves and Toulouse have left. You'd think Toulouse would be spent and we'd be on a high but who knows.
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:58 am  
Great afternoon,great atmosphere in north stand, outstanding performance by all involved. oh! and loads of quiet pie eaters. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:59 am  
TALLYWACKER62 wrote:
Great afternoon,great atmosphere in north stand, outstanding performance by all involved. oh! and loads of quiet pie eaters. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very noisy at hospitality end too.
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pm  
Looking at the fixtures, it's as likely, or even more so, that Saints will rest players against us.
They'll have a week off anyway after the final fixture against Toulouse.
We play them on the Monday after they play Wigan on the Friday. That's the game I'd be resting players, if any.
A potential problem could be that any players picking up bans from the Friday would be able to play on Monday and miss against Toulouse, as the disciplinary won't meet over the weekend.
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:44 pm  
jonh wrote:
It was a fantastic performance by a team who simply wanted it more than their opposition today.

We were playing for survival and I think despite what WP says all but assured that yesterday which is fantastic.

Wigan were off form but it was Trinity’s excellent game plan and execution of it which caused this. They totally frustrated the Wigan team which spilled over into some poor discipline from them at times.

Trinity totally neutralised the key threats and strangled their creativity.

The main game plan for Wigan seemed to be run round like headless chickens then give it to Field or French and expect them to create a bit of magic.

Arguably yesterday in my opinion was one of the best displays I’ve seen at Belle Vue in some time.

Great result for the club, it also means Wigan will be out to set the record straight vs Toulouse next up which can only be a positive too.

Finally it hopefully gives any players we are looking to recruit/retain for 2023 some confidence to sign up so we can start putting together a competitive squad moving forward.

I know we have discussed next year’s recruitment before and this was the thing that was annoying me about leaving it so late on in the season to seal our survival. I know we haven’t sealed it yet, but we are in a better position than a month ago, like you say hopefully this will give players the confidence to sign.
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:57 pm  
We need to win at least another game I think, can see Toulouse winning at least a couple, don’t trust Catalans discipline in the derby and Hull all over the place m. Who knows what team Sts will play
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:18 pm  
I can see us winning at least 2 games, Wire winning none (points difference will flip)...and then it's up to TO to catch them, not us.
Re: WIGAN : Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:54 pm  
jonh wrote:
I think it was Liam Byrne you are referring to who has been excellent this year for Wigan.

He is one of the young forwards who has kicked on under the new regime at Wigan after a few years where he looked like he wasn’t going to reach his potential.

What struck me about Wigan was the lack of leadership and direction.

Isa is in the leadership team however in front of him for captain duties are Leului, Farrell, Powell and Bateman.

Smithies has become a leader too this year despite his young age.

I think with Huddersfield losing on Saturday a bit of complacency crept in and Trinity stifled the space the 3 main strike players can normally generate.

If plan A didn’t work there was no plan B.

Speaking to a few of the Wigan fans after the game they were very complementary of the Trinity performance and couldn’t understand how they were in the position they find themselves.

I don’t Toulouse picking up a win next week however their last 3 fixtures worry me.

Catalans are not firing and they are at home, Hull seem to have given up and Saints will have secured the LLS by the last game and may well choose to field a weakened team with a view to having one eye on the play offs.

The 2 Hull games are massive, just typical Hull will probably be looking to bounce back after the shower they put up this weekend vs Saints.


We don't have a bad record over Wigan, bearing in mind their usual loftier position (ie, by rights, we shouldn't win hardly any), and I think it's because they take their eye off the ball with us.

As for the remaining games, I'd like to think Wigan will want a rebound. As may Hull, of course, but I think we need to win just one of the Hull games to be safe. Like you, I think we need to be four points clear by the last weekend, albeit points difference could save us if the worst thing happens.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1873, brettoncat, Eastern Wildcat, Khlav Kalash, poplar cats alive, Shifty Cat, Trojan Horse, vastman, Wakefield City, Wildthing and 300 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity