the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tom Johnstone
SpainesRoadFartown
Member for 6 years
Strong-running second rower

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:31 am  
lampyboy wrote:
Tom will do what's best for Tom, the desisions his.

obviously but i'm asking for your opinion as a supporter, unless you are Tom.
SpainesRoadFartown
Member for 6 years
Strong-running second rower

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:35 am  
jonh wrote:
As I said on another threat I am of the opinion TJ is a diminishing asset and should be offered a contract to reflect that. If he signs on reduced terms fantastic, would be a great bit of business by Trinity if not we move on without him and remember the fantastic tries he has scored for Trinity.

I can’t help but think a move for him would be good for both parties. His injury record may improve under a different coach and medical team and ultimately I think we all want to see him on the field more consistently.

We are at the point with Tom where nearly every time he takes contact he picks up a knock or has to have the trainer on.

Trinity given the financial limitations are in a position where we need to get more value in performance out of players than their worth on the salary cap. As good as he is there is no point in a club with such financial challenges having salary cap say in the stands.

Given we have Lineham and Murphy as well as the forgotten man Kershaw we are fine for wingers. Something has to give on that department so we can invest elsewhere. Lineham
Is on a 3 year deal (madness) Murphy will be on a wage to reflect his novice status and it’s been widely reported Kershaw is on next to nothing.

Sadly it all points to TJ probably bring the man to move on.

From a playing point of view I also think TJ needs a move if he is to kick on. He must be 25/26 now and coming into his prime years. Whilst he is capable of doing things others cannot I think he has stagnated a bit these last couple of years. The same weaknesses in his game persist and a new environment may be what he needs to get him to the next level as there should be no reason on his potential that he shouldn’t be the first choice winger for England.

Brilliant post, thanks for that.
Khlav Kalash
Member for 16 years
Gold RLFANS Member

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:28 am  
Like for him to stay but fully expect him to move on. He needs to be playing for a team his ability deserves, not one who barely utilises his strike power and will bob along down at the bottom, occasionally threatening the play offs.
1/10
Scarlet Pimpernell
Member for 9 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 am  
He is not a diminishing asset the service he receives is. How often have we worked an overlap to give him room. I think he is what helps Murphy because the opposition focus on stopping him thereby leaving space on the other wing.
I am sorry and I know we cannot stop him from bettering himself but please don’t try to justify based on his performances. It might make some feel better but the club and team will be worse plus they will lose one of their most merchantable players.
FOREVERTRIN
Member for 9 years
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:57 pm  
Sorry Khlav,and I respect your opinion,but Tom doesn't 'need to be playing for a team his abilities deserve' he needs to be playing for us, and we need to be totally selfish.
If he is adamant he wants to go, or his demands are outrageous re a new contract, then sadly, we would have to part company.BUT,it is just bad business to lose your best player and match winner, and sends out all the wrong signals to loyal supporters and prospective ones.I don't think he was at his best against Shudds,(very unusual),but won us the game in 40 mins a few weeks back so def don't agree he is a diminishing asset.
There is his injuries and head knocks to be taken in to account, but if the medics are happy with that side of things then that shouldn't sway our decisions.The lad does take a lot of knocks,but when you're targeted like he is, that's not surprising.
Just as an aside - I've followed Trin for an awful lot of years and is there a better sight than seeing Tom Johnstone flying down the wing?
Whatever happens I'll still follow them of course, and,without wanting to add any pressure,does'nt that young Murphy look something special!
No
Team
Selected
alegend
Member for 10 years
Free-scoring winger

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:44 pm  
FOREVERTRIN wrote:
Sorry Khlav,and I respect your opinion,but Tom doesn't 'need to be playing for a team his abilities deserve' he needs to be playing for us, and we need to be totally selfish.
If he is adamant he wants to go, or his demands are outrageous re a new contract, then sadly, we would have to part company.BUT,it is just bad business to lose your best player and match winner, and sends out all the wrong signals to loyal supporters and prospective ones.I don't think he was at his best against Shudds,(very unusual),but won us the game in 40 mins a few weeks back so def don't agree he is a diminishing asset.
There is his injuries and head knocks to be taken in to account, but if the medics are happy with that side of things then that shouldn't sway our decisions.The lad does take a lot of knocks,but when you're targeted like he is, that's not surprising.
Just as an aside - I've followed Trin for an awful lot of years and is there a better sight than seeing Tom Johnstone flying down the wing?
Whatever happens I'll still follow them of course, and,without wanting to add any pressure,does'nt that young Murphy look something special!

Last paragraph Murphy does look special as does Hall .one been brought in and one been given a chance by W Poaching Under the old coach Hall would have been no were near the club and Murphy would be no were near the first team .The old coach would though bringing in a old winger from Wires ,and giving him a 3 year contract was a good move and was going to get a 32 year old Centre from Catalans .and we wounded why we got no money Just wanted the easy way out
No
Team
Selected
Roverman1
Member for 2 years

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:13 pm  
I agree forevertrin.
PopTart
Member for 14 years
100% League Network

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:10 pm  
Yes me too.
TJ is ours and we should keep him and build a team that can get good ball to him and Murphy.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
1315trinity
Member for 3 years
Cheeky half-back

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:05 pm  
FOREVERTRIN wrote:

jonhs wasn't a brilliant post. This is.
vastman
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

Re: Tom Johnstone : Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:14 pm  
SpainesRoadFartown wrote:
Brilliant post, thanks for that.

Well of course it is. A Wigan fan who pretends to be a Trinity fan and a Hudds fan on a fishing trip.

It was a rubbish post imo and clearly many agree.
SUPPORT SWAG...
PreviousNext